Mariner - current MDR waiter recommendations

We will board Mariner next week. Given the recent reports of variable and spotty service with trainees, can any recent Alaska cruisers offer recommendations about particular MDR waiters that seemed to have it together?

I have adjusted my expectations but still hoping for the best.

Thanks!

Thanks IsanThom and TC2. I appreciate the info.

Dwhe, we are not high maintenance people and will take who we get the first night. We have never requested a specific server in the past. However, if we find service lacking at that point, why wouldn't we ask to be seated in a section with a waiter known for providing solid service? It was Regent's decision to impact service by pulling experienced staff to the Explorer. I just want to do what I reasonably can to have an experience consistent with our prior Regent cruises.

We always go where allocated, variety is the spice of life. You see different things in different areas and it depends on table size, time, as to how it works out, you cannot generalize, and anyway the wait staff are dependant on how the kitchen is working.

I have adjusted my expectations but still hoping for the best.

It is a great shame that loyal Regent guests are having to "adjust their expectations" because of poor service, reportedly due to recruitment/training issues

I hope that Regent fixes these perceived shortcomings swiftly. Fortunately for us, we are not sailing again until the Autumn so trust everything is back up to standard by then. Meanwhile it is not fair that customers should have to suffer a less than perfect experience, whichever waiter or member of bar staff they are being attended by

Dining with the same server is not necessarily a statement about service (but I agree that the new servers need some training). When we sit in the same area as our preferred server(s), they learn our preferences and can make recommendations based on them. After 2-3 nights, when we approach CR, they know what section we prefer to be seated in (do not care about window seating which makes things easier) - the sommelier knows which wine we will probably have and has it ready and the sever knows, for instance, that my DH wants a salt stick. It makes service easier for them and for us.

I am not saying that service isn't good to great everywhere in CR (except on certain nights when you know in advance that they will be slammed) - it is simply a personal preference.

Dining with the same server is not necessarily a statement about service (but I agree that the new servers need some training). When we sit in the same area as our preferred server(s), they learn our preferences and can make recommendations based on them. After 2-3 nights, when we approach CR, they know what section we prefer to be seated in (do not care about window seating which makes things easier) - the sommelier knows which wine we will probably have and has it ready and the sever knows, for instance, that my DH wants a salt stick. It makes service easier for them and for us.

I am not saying that service isn't good to great everywhere in CR (except on certain nights when you know in advance that they will be slammed) - it is simply a personal preference.

What do you mean by being slammed (busy?) and when would you know that ahead or time.

We like Alberto or Dennis in the Mariner. As Travelcat said is nice that they know who you prefer, what wine you like, and the salt sticks. Both MDH and I love those salt sticks. We have had other waiters and they have been very good. I have not been on the Mariner since November so I have not dealt with any service issues or new crew members. I think that whomever you get, you will get good service.

What do you mean by being slammed (busy?) and when would you know that ahead or time.

The second night (generally*) of the cruise is the Captain's Reception. I don't attend them anymore but believe they start at 6:00 p.m. At the conclusion (sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m.), At least 200-300 passengers head to Compass Rose. There are obviously rather long lines and everyone is descending upon the restaurant at the same time. Understandably, this can be difficult for servers to handle. We get to CR right at 6:30 p.m. so we can get a start on dinner before the crowds arrive. (Note: The menu in CR is special on this night so many passengers forego the specialty restaurants to dine there).

Then there is the night of the Seven Seas Society cocktail party when the same thing happens at the conclusion of the party (this can be held any time during the cruise - you will know a day in advance when you read "Passages").

IMO, it is best to either arrive at CR at 6:30 p.m. or wait until 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. on these nights.

*If the ship is overnighting in the embarkation port, the Captain's Reception may be held on the third night.

The second night (generally*) of the cruise is the Captain's Reception. I don't attend them anymore but believe they start at 6:00 p.m. At the conclusion (sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m.), At least 200-300 passengers head to Compass Rose. There are obviously rather long lines and everyone is descending upon the restaurant at the same time. Understandably, this can be difficult for servers to handle. We get to CR right at 6:30 p.m. so we can get a start on dinner before the crowds arrive. (Note: The menu in CR is special on this night so many passengers forego the specialty restaurants to dine there).

Then there is the night of the Seven Seas Society cocktail party when the same thing happens at the conclusion of the party (this can be held any time during the cruise - you will know a day in advance when you read "Passages").

IMO, it is best to either arrive at CR at 6:30 p.m. or wait until 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. on these nights.

*If the ship is overnighting in the embarkation port, the Captain's Reception may be held on the third night.

Thank you. That's good information. I knew about Captain's Reception from reading this board but did not know what night it would be. Glad I didn't reserve the specialty restaurant for that night.