Nice Hotel in Barcelona

glorygaf

We are spending two nights in Barcelona arriving by train and wondered if anyone on CC could recommend a hotel convenient to the Barcelona Sants and within reasonable distance to World Trade Centre Pier and Central Barcelona. Something not too expensive but in nice area close to restaurants etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Gloria and Tony,

We are doing a crossing this November (albeit on Silversea--we will however be on the Voyager in January and will get to visit NZ and your beautiful country as well as Asia (Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Cooktown, Darwin) that embarks in Barcelona.

We like the Eurostars Grand Marina (about $230 with breakfast) when booked on the Eurostars website. We have stayed here before when our ship docked at the World Trade Center pier.

Why the Grand Marina? We like the location (walking distance to Las Ramblas) 3 min taxi ride to the pier. However, for our crossing our ship the Silver Wind will dock within 100 yds of this hotels front door :)

http://www.grandmarinahotel.com/en/hotel.html?id_referer=ADWORDS&gclid=CJXhsZLDu80CFdgDgQod4YAFfw

Look at Hotel Colon, Av. Catedral, 08002 Barcelona. +34 933 011 404. Wonderful location, restaurants, Las Ramblas, La Boqueria Market, HOHO bus. We always stay here, and we ask for a room overlooking the Catedral. Last time we had a huge balcony. Very good breakfast.

As an aside, the green shower gel is an excellent eye makeup remover. I always ask for a couple of extras.

Enjoy Barcelona. Beware of pickpockets. When you see a sign that says that, resist moving your hands to touch your valuables. Local pickpockets take notice, and shop the sites you just showed them.

Mary

Look at Hotel Colon, Av. Catedral, 08002 Barcelona. +34 933 011 404. Wonderful location, restaurants, Las Ramblas, La Boqueria Market, HOHO bus. We always stay here, and we ask for a room overlooking the Catedral. Last time we had a huge balcony. Very good breakfast.

As an aside, the green shower gel is an excellent eye makeup remover. I always ask for a couple of extras.

Enjoy Barcelona. Beware of pickpockets. When you see a sign that says that, resist moving your hands to touch your valuables. Local pickpockets take notice, and shop the sites you just showed them.

Mary

I second this choice. We stayed there a number of years ago in a room overlooking the square and Cathedral. Loved it!

I "third" this choice! We stayed there post-cruise a couple weeks ago. Had room 511, a corner suite with three balconies overlooking the cathedral and the plaza below. Extremely comfortable, roomy, helpful staff with good English. You really feel like you're right at the center of the old city. Would love to go back.

We stayed at Hotel Colon some years ago, and while we liked it in many ways, we'd not stay again. What bothered us may not matter to others, but just in case, I thought I'd chime in. Pun intended. We thought the church was handsome indeed, but we absolutely could not stand the chiming of the hours-- right through the night, as I remember it. This was a while ago, so my memory could be off, or the church may have stopped the practice of broadcasting through the night. If anyone who's thinking of the Colon happens to like quiet surrounds, I'd suggest checking into this. For us, peace and quiet are a high priority, though I know not for all. Have a great trip!

Q

For a luxury hotel experience in Barcelona we stay at the Arts which is a RitzCarlton Hotel.

We have also stayed at the Colon once and it was more than good enough for a short stay. If it's over a Saturday night the dancing on the Cathederal square is wonderful to watch from your balcony.

We stayed at the Hotel The Serras and loved every night of a 3 night stay. Very close to the port and many restaurants to choose from including their own which is superb. The roof top bar was a highlight.

Last fall we stayed at the H10 Port Vell across from the marina. It costs $200 - $220. Staff were wonderful, close (2 blocks) from Las Ramblas and close to the port. Our taxi was approximately 15 - 18 Euro from the hotel to the ship.