BA or Virgin Atlantic Business seats?

JMARINER

BA sucks in service in F/C and the food is not what BA used to be.

I can't imagine what it is like in biz or economy. We avoid LHR but we don't mind Gatwick serviced by VA much more user friendly and a nicer crew and better food and drink in their Upper Class/Business.

Some BA flight attendants need to go back to the charm farm.

The BA lounges are so crowded at peak times and not what they were five or six years ago.

You can look at the reviews online or go to Skytrax.com and you will see the ratings of these international carriers. Forget US carriers except JetBlue and SW as they have good ratings for customer service and less DOT complaints.

Suite Travels - I so "completely agree" with you regarding your assessment of BA. Unfortunately, I'm sort of "locked into" them (and AA) on my next R/T flight to Europe next year. It's only because I've got a ton (like hundreds of thousands) of FF miles to use up on BA transatlantic flights and don't feel like just "kissing them all away". I can't even begin to explain how frustrating their website is!

I would never actually/willingly Pay for a BA Business Class (or even economy) flight across the Atlantic. And then, after paying the points/miles for the flight, there's the final insult of having to pay even more to select/book particular seats . Which, BA still reserves the right to "change" (at their own convenience) at the last minute, even after you paid extra to book them!

Trying to "step over" some other "poor sucker's" outstretched legs in the middle of the night while he's trying to sleep (with my own semi-arthritic knees), without kicking him or breaking his legs by accidentally falling on them (God forbid) is like something out of a Monty Python skit! I can't believe some "genius" actually got paid to dream up that seat configuration?!

The food kinda "sucks" (compared to other B/C or F/C offerings on other airlines) and the service and demeanor of most of the FA's could only (and charitably) be characterized as "non-enthusiastic". And for all of this, you "get" to pay as much or even more for these flights as what you'll find (with a little research) on other airlines, and on the same itinerary.

One would be hard-pressed to go on Seat-Guru and find any complimentary comments at all regarding BA's Business Class accommodations. Once I "burn" these last FF miles on my 2017 trip, that's it! Bye, bye BA. Regards

pingpong1: You do not have to pay extra to book seats on BA when you book through Regent.

Secondly, if you are flying out of Heathrow, the food is great (if you like British food -- most people are not fond of well done meat but theirs is tasty).

Suite Travels: The British attitude is what it is. Although we have complained about their service, we have no hopes that it will change. Service is no better or worse on BA than in the majority of restaurants in England (JMHO).

We have been in BA Business Class lounges at Heathrow more times than we can count. They definitely are not crowded most of the time (perhaps you are going to the wrong lounges). Their array of food (particularly during "tea time") is amazing. It is helpful if you like and/or appreciate British cuisine. They have showers (really lovely showers), any type of drink that you can think of and good Wi-Fi.

While we cannot compare BA to Virgin, if we are going to fly a British airline, we fly BA. On the other hand, we do not fly U.S. airlines due to the fact that we are a target for terrorists. The same can be said for British airlines. For this reason, we are hopeful that we can change to Lufthansa for European travel and Cathay Pacific for Asia. While we will not stop traveling due to terrorism, we can take steps that make an attack at the airport or on the plane a little less likely.

BA first is much better than AA first long haul. BA pours Blue Label. What else matters.

j

I agree BA is better than AA and Qantas is better as well. Watch out for those codeshares which AA has with both. It could be a BA flight or a QF flight and you find that you are on AA metal not realizing it unless you check.

Not one US carrier ranks in the top ten of airlines.

http://www.airlinequality.com/review-pages/top-10-airlines/

Edited by Suite Travels

787 is a great plane. Pressurized to lower altitude so no headaches and food tastes better.

Also never any outside exhaust smell. Love the lighting and self-dimming oval Windows.

What type of plane were you on? We just had our BA flights confirmed this morning (Barcelona to Vancouver in March, 2017) and have seats upstairs on the 747. There are 2 seats on each side (facing one another). There is more storage upstairs than I have ever experienced.

On the other hand, you are so right about having to step over someone or have someone step over you (unless you have an exit row upstairs and have the window seat). We are hoping that the seats on our Lufthansa flight next month is better than BA. We would love to switch to Lufthansa but I'm not sure which is worse -- Frankfurt or Heathrow.

Are you on the March 26th crossing of the Explorer next year?

Jackie, We were on an Airbus 380-800. Yes, we are on the crossing March 26th but not going all the way to Venice (B2B) like many are. We're getting off in Barcelona. We're using Regent Air for just the one way home, purposely chose an AA flight BCN to JFK to LAX with 2 seats in the middle section (on both legs) since Tom and I both like to have an isle seat.

Jackie, We were on an Airbus 380-800. Yes, we are on the crossing March 26th but not going all the way to Venice (B2B) like many are. We're getting off in Barcelona. We're using Regent Air for just the one way home, purposely chose an AA flight BCN to JFK to LAX with 2 seats in the middle section (on both legs) since Tom and I both like to have an isle seat.

Thanks Marcie! Now I know to avoid the 380-800 on BA. Three seats across is not something that we would like. Still hoping that we like Lufthansa so we can use them for future flights. We are also only going to Barcelona in March and are using AA from Miami to Vancouver (with a stop at DFW). It will be great to see you again!

Our last overseas BA flight was at the end of 2014. It was one of the best BC flights we ever had. We were able to get upstairs in a 747 and got the aisle and window seats by the stairs. That meant no one had to crawl over anyone else. It was the quietest place i have ever flown. We had 2 male FA that were friendly and just a blast. Our food was good as well. We enjoyed being able to take a nice shower in the BA lounge at LHR. It was busy but not uncomfortably so.

TC, I look forward to hearing how your Lufthansa flights go as i have avoided them because they never seem to have true lie flat beds flying out of the West Coast and i don't care for Frankfurt airport.

Our last overseas BA flight was at the end of 2014. It was one of the best BC flights we ever had. We were able to get upstairs in a 747 and got the aisle and window seats by the stairs. That meant no one had to crawl over anyone else. It was the quietest place i have ever flown. We had 2 male FA that were friendly and just a blast. Our food was good as well. We enjoyed being able to take a nice shower in the BA lounge at LHR. It was busy but not uncomfortably so.

TC, I look forward to hearing how your Lufthansa flights go as i have avoided them because they never seem to have true lie flat beds flying out of the West Coast and i don't care for Frankfurt airport.

Your experience mirrors ours but I realize that most passengers do not like the backwards seats. Will report on Lufthansa next month. On our outgoing flight we are on a 747 - upstairs. The seats are suppose to be true "lie flat" seats. The Lufthansa 747 sounds larger than the BA plane. We are typically in rows 61-63 but on Lufthansa we're in row 82.

All this talk about different seats, service, lounges, crowds...I am SO glad I don't fly for business any more.

And I'm also probably in the minority here, but I kinda liked business class on BA - but get me horizontal, feed me, and serve me scotch and I'm pretty easy to please...

We always book through our TA and upgrade long haul flights. The only flights that your seats are allocated immediately at booking cruise is for First class and domestic flights. Business class you have to pay to book seats and then only a good time after you pay cruise in full. This is BA I am writing about. Jean.

We always book through our TA and upgrade long haul flights. The only flights that your seats are allocated immediately at booking cruise is for First class and domestic flights. Business class you have to pay to book seats and then only a good time after you pay cruise in full. This is BA I am writing about. Jean.

Perhaps you have not booked BA through Regent (or, once again, the rules could be different in the U.K.) We booked a flight in Business Class on BA yesterday (through Regent) - they assigned our seats - we went in and changed them as we always do and there was no charge and we have not paid for our cruise in full). We have booked BA ourselves and not only had to pay a charge but an extra charge because we wanted to be upstairs.

Bill, after our flights next month on Lufthansa, it is our hope to never book a flight on BA again (or any other airline that stops at Heathrow -- after having lost luggage twice, we are looking for alternatives). We do enjoy Business Class on BA - but only on their 747's upstairs. If you have the chance to sail Regent to Asia, you can get Cathay Pacific Business Class. Those are amazing seats -- the service and food is wonderful and, as mentioned previously, the lounge in Hong Kong is the best!

Marcie, if you are still reading, just looked up the BA plane that you were on. Really did not like the layout. Glad that you posted about this -- I have learned to avoid that plane (at least on BA).

Edited by Travelcat2

Bill, after our flights next month on Lufthansa, it is our hope to never book a flight on BA again (or any other airline that stops at Heathrow -- after having lost luggage twice, we are looking for alternatives). We do enjoy Business Class on BA - but only on their 747's upstairs. If you have the chance to sail Regent to Asia, you can get Cathay Pacific Business Class. Those are amazing seats -- the service and food is wonderful and, as mentioned previously, the lounge in Hong Kong is the best!

TC, we were looking at a London-London this fall but not sure we'll be able to get out of work again for another cruise. I had seen a Pacific cruise that looked amazing, but it's in December and there's no way the wife can get away that close to year-end. :(

Maybe someday soon...

I agree BA is better than AA and Qantas is better as well. Watch out for those codeshares which AA has with both. It could be a BA flight or a QF flight and you find that you are on AA metal not realizing it unless you check.

Not one US carrier ranks in the top ten of airlines.

http://www.airlinequality.com/review-pages/top-10-airlines/

I have a flight to CDG on American coming up. NOT looking forward to that. Old 777's with old business class seats and crappy service to boot. Only did it because the price was unbelievably low:)

The best Biz Class seats and service I have had is on Qatar. I have never been on Emirates because the prices are too high.

Edited by commodore2010

I don't blame you for flying AA for the price but you have to put up with **** flight attendants and mediocre food at best. They are still flying the 777-200 and yes they are old.

CX (Cathay Pacific) is very good. We flew them to HKG for a cruise in first class and the biz class section looked very nice as well. We used our miles and were upgraded. We will never use any cruise lines for air as we can use AMEX points and if that does not work we use our ticket consolidator and we always get a great price on either biz or F/C. You just cannot compare the Asian airlines or the Middle East airlines to BA or any US carrier.

Edited by Suite Travels

Perhaps you have not booked BA through Regent (or, once again, the rules could be different in the U.K.) We booked a flight in Business Class on BA yesterday (through Regent) - they assigned our seats - we went in and changed them as we always do and there was no charge and we have not paid for our cruise in full). We have booked BA ourselves and not only had to pay a charge but an extra charge because we wanted to be upstairs.

Jean (liptastic) is correct that in the UK Regent does not pre-assign seats on BA flights booked through Regent. Seat booking is only possible about a month after cruise final payment and the seat booking cost must be paid direct to BA.........this is an annoying additional cost.

We queried this US/UK booking anomaly with the Regent UK office some time ago but, although sympathetic, they do not appear to be about to change their policy :(

Jean (liptastic) is correct that in the UK Regent does not pre-assign seats on BA flights booked through Regent. Seat booking is only possible about a month after cruise final payment and the seat booking cost must be paid direct to BA.........this is an annoying additional cost.

We queried this US/UK booking anomaly with the Regent UK office some time ago but, although sympathetic, they do not appear to be about to change their policy :(

Thanks Flossie for that. I emailed my TA last nite and she spoke to Regent this am, and they are ticking the return flights today or Monday. That's the only ones that we need to pay for, but it is annoying that we can't book them free of charge like elsewhere. I like to have things all sorted well in advance. Jean.

Thank you for the explanation. As I've said before, there are so many differences between booking in the U.S. and U.K. Having seat booking tied to the final payment of the cruise gives fewer seating options. The flight that we booked through Regent yesterday was 270 days prior to our cruise. We won't pay our cruise in full until we approach the deadline (we hold back in case there is a reduction in the price of the cruise). In any case, I know that there are some consumer protection laws in the U.K. that are not in the U.S. so I won't presume to know why Regent has the policies that they do in different countries.

As an aside, Lufthansa seems to repeatedly mention on their website that you can book seats for no cost (or as they put it, "FREE"). This is obviously in competition to BA.

Travelcat2,

Completely agree about US based carriers. The worst. Although if you fly the 777ER in business on AA it's not too bad. I'd rather swim across the Atlantic than fly United!

Normally i would agree regarding US based carriers. We flew back from South Africa at the end of 2014 on Delta in business and had a very good flight with them.

We flew United trans-border earlier this year and I swore i will never fly with them again.

Normally i would agree regarding US based carriers. We flew back from South Africa at the end of 2014 on Delta in business and had a very good flight with them.

We flew United trans-border earlier this year and I swore i will never fly with them again.

Delta is actually the best of US carriers in business class.

Delta is actually the best of US carriers in business class.

I agree, but they can't match the true international carriers. We will fly DL on domestic but not long haul internationa. DL offers no first class options and too many seats in biz. We flew them once to Nairobi and it could not hold a candle to Emirates.

I agree, but they can't match the true international carriers. We will fly DL on domestic but not long haul internationa. DL offers no first class options and too many seats in biz. We flew them once to Nairobi and it could not hold a candle to Emirates.

Agreed. And never disputed.