Any Word from Explorer Shakedowns?

mrlevin

The first of two "shakedown" cruises begin July 2nd!

I was speaking with my TA yesterday on this very subject.

She was due to go on the 'shake down' cruise on 2nd July, however it has been cancelled due to 'technical issues'.

She was due to go on the 'shake down' cruise on 2nd July, however it has been cancelled due to 'technical issues'.

The ship has been doing some elaborate manoeuvres off Genoa today so let us hope that the 'technical issues' are quickly resolved.

I thought that someone had previously reported that sea trials had been successfully completed in May.

What are the manoeuvres ongoing off Genoa?

She did pass sea trials and the ship is fine. Regent will take possession of the Explorer tomorrow. Perhaps they needed more time to get the ship ready for passengers.

How sad :( I know all the travel agents invited must have been so looking forward to this.

Where do people hear about shake down cruises? And who is eligible to participate and is it free or costly? I have never really heard of this before reading this, thanks, Jean.

Typically there are 3 types of shakedown cruises. One, like in the case of the Explorer, is for top Travel Agents, bloggers, and overall travel industry powerhouses. By offering them a free "shakedown" cruise, they get to experience the ship and then share their (hopefully) wonderful experience with clients, readers, etc... to encourage bookings. In turn, this gives the cruise line the opportunity to test out the ship and make sure everything is working properly so any issues can be addressed before paid guests start sailing.

The second type is a free cruise for employees with the sole focus of testing out the ship, while the third type is open to the public usually at discounted rates, with the understanding that there may be some "bumps" in the road as it were.

Thanks towel animal. Our TA gets invited to Invergordon when cruise ships are in port and can invite guests for lunch and ship tours. Regent and Silversea have participated in that and also many other lines. Thanks for info. Jean.