Actual times in port?

milamber

Is there any way of finding out actual times in port? The voyage personaliser simply says 'morning to afternoon' or 'early morning to evening', for example. Every other cruise line we have been with gives actual times in port which makes it much easier to plan visits. Just wondered if there was any way of getting exact times or, at least, some translation of what the various timings given mean in practice.

Thanks

Some of the online cruise booking web sites show arrival and departure times for each port when you view the itinerary details for a particular cruise.

The cruise ship calendar web site "cruisecal" also has an "Itinerary Lookup" feature which usually shows arrival and departure times for a selected itinerary.

Regards,

John.

Thanks John. We do have a more detailed itinerary from the travel agent, but not sure how reliable it is as it doesn't match up particularly well with what Cunard say! I'll try 'cruisecal'. We have a calendar we usually use, but according to that the QM2 isn't in any of the ports........

Thanks John. We do have a more detailed itinerary from the travel agent, but not sure how reliable it is as it doesn't match up particularly well with what Cunard say! I'll try 'cruisecal'. We have a calendar we usually use, but according to that the QM2 isn't in any of the ports........
Hi milamber,

Just a thought, try the other way around; instead of going down the ship's itinerary route, google search for the port you are interested in.

i.e. Not all ports, but some, have their own website that shows, sometimes months in advance, what ships will be calling when, and with times of arrival and departure.

Just an idea, one that has helped me in the past with some ports (but not all).

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks pepperrn. I might need to do that. The times shown by cruisecal are way different to those shown on the travel agent's itinerary! Mostly longer in port than the itinerary says. Makes a huge difference to the possibilities in port if cruisecal is correct.

Why Cunard can't give actual times is beyond me.

We've learned that port arrival times can be changed because of weather conditions. The QM2 was supposed to arrive in Montevideo, Uruguay in 2009 in the early morning. Because of wind and a narrow channel, we didn't dock until afternoon.

Also, in 2013 the captain of the QE exchanged the days we were to visit two ports in Hawaii---announced only the day beforehand. DH had arranged car rental months in advance, so he scrambled to cancel and re-book over the internet. We certainly didn't see this coming!

Ships do not guarantee either port times (or dates). Maybe, that is why the Cunard website is vague about arrival and departure times.

If you actually type in .........port authority, a lot of these ports have very good cruise ship schedules, with allocated berths, arrival and departure times. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching, but it has been very useful for us in the past.

Cheers everyone. We realise that port times/arrivals can be changed and accept that when we book cruises. We've travelled with seven other lines though and all of them give times that they are due to arrive and leave and usually these are pretty accurate.

There is no reason that Cunard can't give out this information, unless they are simply trying to ensure that passengers book ship trips rather than travel independently.

Some of the port timings are as much 6 hours different on the port schedules to those on the travel agent's itinerary - all of them longer. Having 12 hours in port to look around is very different to having 6 hours, especially if it's a tender port.

You could try looking at the times of the official shore excursions. The earliest departure time is presumably the earliest an independent traveller could get ashore. Then add on the duration to each of the excursions to see the latest back on board time. This of course assumes details of the shore excursions have been released.

I use whatsinport, mostly because I can remember the name. There's cruisetimetables or something like that, too. Whatsinport has links to port websites and schedules.

Looking at the actual port schedule is most likely to be accurate, and also will let you know if other ships will be in port with you.

Is there any way of finding out actual times in port? The voyage personaliser simply says 'morning to afternoon' or 'early morning to evening', for example. Every other cruise line we have been with gives actual times in port which makes it much easier to plan visits. Just wondered if there was any way of getting exact times or, at least, some translation of what the various timings given mean in practice.

Thanks

This should do it.....

http://ships.cruisett.com/

andhow