QM2 TA Review - Quick Synopsis

softsands

Thank you for posting your review. We will be first-time Cunard cruisers next fall, so I appreciate any and all information. Nothing is too trivial so please keep posting details for us newbies! I was especially interested in reading about the manner of dress for Kings Court in the evenings, as we will probably be eating there on formal nights.

Love your writing style as well. (My brother is "Bro" to me too; can't remember the last time I called him by his first name!:))

Thanks for those kind words! Actually, I was going to apologize for my rambling...I'm glad you don't read it that way. Of course, if any one complains, I'll direct them back to my Shortened Review.:)

Definitely no need to apologise, just don't keep us in suspense too long for the next installment!

Definitely no need to apologise, just don't keep us in suspense too long for the next installment!

With pleasure :) (although this latest installment might lean toward a more restrictive rating along the lines of Parental Guidance Is Advised) ;)

Part IV – Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me (Segment One)

“Hi, my name is Softsands and I’m a Spa addict. This is my story.”

I’ll review QM2’s Canyon Ranch SpaClub in two separate segments – the aqua therapy facility and the treatments I (and Bro’, but mostly me because it really is about me) received. Let’s start with the latter.

When I get time to hang with the boys, the normal course of guy talk rarely includes “So, I got this great massage the other day” (I mean a massage actually delivered by a real therapist). While it’s generally becoming more comfortable for men to ‘do Spa’, my experience is I’m often the only dude in the designated client relaxation area.

Any ship I’ve ever sailed – save for Carnival (and I’m not slighting them in the least, I just never tried their Spa. Loved the pizza, though) – I’ve always visited the on-board Spa for one treatment or another (and another, and another, and another). QM2 would be no different and I did my full research on Canyon Ranch and its related services well in advance of our trip. I’m always in search of the perfect massage and I say ‘always’ because each time I think I’ve found it, another one comes along to take its place.

I suppose when you have a captive audience, you can price your Spa services at whatever you please and there’s little doubt with Canyon Ranch. The cost for treatments, after converting the U.S. greenback into our Canadian rainbow plastic paper, worked out to…well, let’s just say, it’s a Hyundai.

So what’s a Spa addict like myself to do? Simple, really. You pony up.

I scheduled three treatments – all of them ‘deep tissue’, my favorite – at the Spa during that first walkabout, with the expectation that while the experience wouldn’t equate to that of a new car, I was hoping for maybe an electric scooter. As I’m not aware of any evidence to support the likelihood of Spas in the afterlife, I argued the premium cost wouldn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things (although I’ll never get into a Queens Grill Penthouse if I spend all my moola feeding this addiction. I suppose there’s always the kids’ education fund. Queens Grill vs. College. Queens Grill vs. College. Now THAT’S an easy one – note to self, call Cunard).

As I booked my appointments I was assigned for my first treatment a therapist we’ll call ‘Teri’, who specialized in deep tissue massage. However, during the scheduling chat with the Spa rep, I caught the word “he” meaning ‘Teri’ was actually ‘Terry.’ Now – and not that there’s anything wrong with it – I’m just not at my, you know, my relaxed best when ‘man hands’ are involved.

The Spa rep readily understood and happily assigned me another therapist, except that particular therapist’s name was the same as a good (male) friend back home…However, I was assured, let's call her ‘Dana’, was, indeed, a female. Perhaps I am a bit phobic. Something to talk about with my cognitive therapist back home.

I would have liked to have included a men’s facial during the week but that, too, carried sticker shock. I concluded that yelping muscles took precedence over my face’s papules.

I received a very interesting first treatment from ‘Dana’ the following day. With an estimated 1,000+ massages under my robe, this was my very first treatment where the therapist did not actually leave the room while I disrobed and scaled the table. ‘Dana’ simply held up a sheet in front of her and said “Please – .” Uhhhhhhhhhhh, ok I guess. Now, I’m not a particularly modest person so I wasn’t embarrassed or anything like that (and don’t bother Googling ‘Softsands pics’, you’d be just wasting your time) but I did notice the sheet was kind of small, flimsy and quite opaque. So I played it safe and told ‘Dana’ I had just been in the pool. You can never be too careful with that kind of thing and I didn’t want any baseless rumors circulating through Canyon Ranch as I planned to be around for the week.

Canyon Ranch’s treatment rooms are fine – while the therapist’s technique is obviously key to the massage for me, so too are the ambience of the space, intrusion of sounds, and comfort of the table. Happy to report that not nary an unwanted sound could be heard when inside. Of course, at those prices, the adjoining rooms were empty, although on one occasion I did know with certainty the next room was occupied and all was quiet through the walls. Nothing worse than having to put up with muffled talk of plans to off a spouse.

Typical room ambience with dimmed lighting and background music – I can name that yoga tune in four notes. The table is comfortable and adjustable, good head support and the like. The room temp was just right, not too warm, not too cool.

Now, I mention the room temperature because I’d like to refer you back to that smallish, ‘flimsy’ sheet acting as the only protection of my modesty (although the dimmed lights help somewhat). I’m accustomed to lots of big blankets and sheets covering me during the treatment that the therapist shifts here and there and there and here to expose only the target muscle group. Sometimes I’m even thinking “hurry up already, you’re not making a bed here.” I concluded that the flimsy sheet really wasn’t serving any useful purpose – and we’re all professionals – but I did stop short of telling ‘Dana’ to just ditch the sheet. Maybe for the backside but the line has to get drawn somewhere. Further (and this may be too much information; Host Hattie needs to intervene perhaps?), the therapy worked its way surprisingly close to my ‘demilitarized zone.’ Good thing I was half asleep.

Bro’ had booked a couple of treatments, too, and can corroborate the same threat of incursion with his therapist. Strangely though, that didn’t stop us from coming back. Go figure.

Seriously though, ‘Dana’ was a very sweet lady who respected the covenant of highly-minimized chat during but did share in an initial exchange of pleasantries that she was in her final week of her contract and was excited to be heading home at the crossing’s conclusion. She was an excellent therapist who quickly isolated and worked my knots and effectively mediated my other numerous muscular conflicts. Another first for me – ‘Dana’ actually climbed aboard the table (don’t worry Host Hattie, I was face-down, we can continue), and straddled my backside, using her knees to work my gluteus family – that’s ‘butt’ to those who care. It felt GREAT! As one who suffers from early onset of osteoarthritis in the hips, working that muscle group does wonders to relieve my chronic soreness. While this treatment may not have been that perfect massage overall, this was by far the perfect butt-rub to date.

I had two additional sessions with ‘Dana’, all equally excellent, although I was unfaithful one day in that I did a drop-in relaxation massage with another great therapist (who did leave the room before starting, and was clearly more conservative in her navigation techniques).

To close this part of the Spa review (I wonder how many of you have clicked on the browser return icon by now), neither I or Bro’ regretted making the investment in our Spa treats and I think for any Spa aficionado, it’s a must-do – at least once – when doing a crossing (or otherwise) with Cunard. Remember, you can’t take it with you!

Part IV – Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me (Segment Two)

To be continued.

My earlier reading about the Canyon Ranch had me all excited, anticipating hours of luxuriating before-and-after my treatments. The truth is I had mixed feelings; I knew I would want to visit daily and I looked forward to using all the various elements the area offered. As touched upon earlier in this particular thread, the Finnish sauna did not function the entire week. I did perch my derriere inside that particular visit one visit but a sauna at room temperature doesn’t deliver the same effect. The herbal sauna and steam room we enjoyed each visit. I found the steam room a tad uncomfortable – too hot – and didn’t spend the usual time I otherwise would. Did work up a good sweat, though, in that short time.

The sensory shower I used appeared to have some operational issues and despite my selecting specific sensory options using the activation buttons, I never ended up with a sensation any different than the one I get in my shower at home (or, in the Men’s change room).

The reflexology basin looked like it had potential and I was expecting a strong, rigorous pulsating action to soothe my dogs. However, it took a bit of time to fill, the water didn’t get to a desired-hot temperature, and the ‘jets’ seemed to be just marginally better than a typical rinse cycle.

The aqua therapy pool was relaxing and soothing although I had expected it to be larger. Deeper than I expected when I first entered by one of two ladders, I unexpectedly ended up with my head submerged off the start. The pool had a constant rush of water flowing one end to the other. Wavy, rounded aluminum bars, shaped like loungers, were situated ‘upstream’ – you could lie with most of your body submerged – and the water would flow in a strong current of 'white-water' rapids toward the far side. Water jet outlets located around the pool’s perimeter contributed to the aqua chaos and in the middle was located a circular bar that allowed you to lean or attach yourself and let the rushing water pass by you. The water’s current was strong enough that letting go would send you downstream to the far side of the pool where a downpour of rain awaited.

Two large faucets fixed on either side, each expelling a constant and extremely robust stream of water from a height of about three feet with the idea to position yourself underneath and let the torrent ‘treat?’ primarily the top and back of your head, your shoulders, and any other part of your body parts you could raise out of the water. Big downside to the faucet placement in the pool, and due to the relative smallness of the pool, any bather within about 10 feet of the faucets was at risk of getting a significant splash in the face when used by a guest; the strength of the water hitting a guest’s head would ricochet in pretty well all directions. You’d be floating about, minding your business, and a strong spray of splashing water smacks you in the back, or even worse, your face. It happened often.

Some bathers recognized the threat this water feature presented and tried to position themselves so the redirection of water caused minimal collateral damage. I, myself, only used it when there was no one remotely close to me - but others were oblivious to fellow swimmers nor the havoc they could potentially wreak. “Swim for it!” was all we could do when that occurred.

A typical-style (separate) whirlpool was set to the far corner of the pool, but not easily accessible from the pool; you had to exit the pool at its mid-point and make your way to the corner.

Furnishings were fine with mostly teak chaise lounges with comfortable padding, and a few upright chairs with small side tables.

We developed a ritual for use of the aqua therapy space – shower in the change room, plunge in the pool for some float time, hit the two operational saunas, concluding with a brief non-sensory shower.

Now I love the sound of water with its soothing and calming effect, however, in the aqua therapy area it felt akin to visiting Niagara Falls – way too loud to want to hang around any longer than you had to. Yet, when we did visit, there were guests planted on their lounges and (apparently) in it for the long-term. To each their own.

One area of the Spa that I thought marvelous was the relaxation area adjacent to the treatment rooms. This was an ‘L’ shaped configuration with those same style-loungers and chairs set facing floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out to the promenade and beyond the expansive ocean. It was quiet and serene and, while I didn’t spend hours there after treatment, I did use it to chill for some extended time after my massage and ponder life. A great space.

The change facilities were adequate with a good supply of lockers. Staff occasionally provided you the robes, slippers and towels; other times you picked them from the easily accessible storage bins. I obviously can’t speak to the Ladies’ change area, although I am sure it would be similar in the provision of amenities – for the guys, shaving materials, combs and other toiletries. The shower area (there were three enclosures) was a tad tight.

The cost to use the Spa was $40US per visit, although a three day option carried a $75US fee. Each treatment you purchase includes a visit to the aqua therapy area which helps to lower the overall cost. I ended up taking the three day pass and combining it with three of my four scheduled treatments to give me daily access.

To summarize, I wanted to (and did so) visit the facility six of the seven days aboard QM2. I really can’t call out any significant concerns although I will say I didn’t feel compelled to spend a lot of extended time, at least not in the immediate pool area. I think the lack of natural light with no connection to the ocean around (except for back and forth sloshing of the therapy pool when the ship did encounter some Atlantic action, a reminder we were aboard) coupled with the somewhat dated look – for example, previously there must have been two showers, one on either side of the pool, that had been disassembled, but the signs of their existence still obvious – as well as few burnt-out pot lights certainly didn’t contribute to any ambience. The whirlpool design and placement in the room gave it an institutional appearance. I mentioned the volume of the water earlier, its sound echoing about, and when the room, including the pool, was busy – and it did get busy at certain times – it’s more of a ‘get in, get out’ use.

Don’t misunderstand me here, I enjoyed this particular part of the overall Spa experience, but it didn’t ‘wow’ me as I expected it to, at least not if one is paying the $40US single fee use.

My earlier reading about the Canyon Ranch had me all excited, anticipating hours of luxuriating before and after my treatments. The truth is I had mixed feelings right off the start when touring the facility; I knew I would have to visit daily and I looked forward to the various elements the area offered. As touched upon earlier in this particular thread, the Finnish sauna did not function the entire week. I did perch my derriere inside on one visit but a sauna at room temperature doesn’t deliver the same effect. The herbal sauna and steam room we enjoyed each visit. I found the steam room a tad too uncomfortable – too hot – and didn’t spend the usual time I otherwise would. Did work up a good sweat, though, in that short time.

The sensory shower I used appeared to have some operational issues and despite my selecting specific sensory options using the activation buttons, I never ended up with a sensation any different than the one I get in my shower at home (or, in the Men’s change room).

The reflexology basin looked like it had potential and I was expecting a strong, rigorous pulsating action to soothe my dogs. However, it took a bit of time to fill, the water didn’t get to a desired-hot temperature, and the ‘jets’ seemed to be just marginally better than a typical rinse cycle.

The aqua therapy pool was relaxing and soothing although I had expected it to be larger. Deeper than I expected when I first entered by one of two ladders, I unexpectedly ended up with my head submerged off the start. The pool had a constant rush of water flowing one end to the other. Wavy, rounded aluminum bars, shaped like loungers, were situated ‘upstream’ – you could lie with most of your body submerged – and the water would flow in a strong current of whitewater rapids toward the far side. Water jet outlets located around the pool’s perimeter contributed to the aqua chaos and in the middle was located a circular bar that allowed you to lean or attach yourself allowing the rushing water to pass around you. The water’s current was strong enough that letting go would send you downstream to the far side of the pool where a downpour of rain was waiting.

Two large faucets on either side expelled an extremely strong stream of water from a height of about three feet with the idea to position yourself underneath and let the torrent ‘treat?’ primarily the top and back of your head, your shoulders, and any other part of your body parts you could raise our of the water. Big downside to this configuration, due to the relative smallness of the pool, any bather within about 10 feet of the faucets was at risk of getting a significant splash in the face when any guest used either one of the faucets; the strength of the water hitting a guest’s head would ricochet in pretty well all directions. You’d be floating about, minding your business, and a strong spray of splashing water smacks you in the back, or even worse, your face. It happened often.

Some bathers recognized the threat this water feature presented and tried to position themselves so the redirection of water caused minimal collateral damage. I, myself, only used it when there was no one remotely close to me --- but others were oblivious to others around them and the havoc they could potentially wreak. “Swim for it!” was all we could do when that occurred.

A typical-style (separate) whirlpool was set to the far corner of the pool, but not easily accessible from the pool; you had to exit the pool at its mid-point and make your way to the corner.

Furnishings were good with mostly teak chaise lounges with comfortable padding, and a few upright chairs with small side tables.

We developed a ritual for the space – shower in the change room, plunge in the pool for some float time, hit the two operational saunas concluding with a brief non-sensory shower.

Now I love the sound of water with its soothing and calming effect, however, in the aqua therapy area it felt akin to visiting Niagara Falls – way too loud to want to hang around any longer than you had to. Yet, when we did visit, there were guests planted on their lounges and in it for the long-term. To each their own.

One area of the Spa that I thought marvelous was the relaxation area adjacent to the treatment rooms. This was an ‘L’ shaped configuration with those same loungers and chairs set facing floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out to the promenade and beyond the expansive ocean. It was quiet and serene and while I didn’t spend hours there after treatment, I did use it to chill for some extended time after my massage and ponder life. A great space.

The change facilities were adequate with a good supply of lockers. Staff occasionally provided you the robes, slippers and towels; other times you picked them from the easily accessible storage bins. I obviously can’t speak to the Ladies’ change area, although I am sure it would be similar in the provision of amenities – for the guys, shaving materials, combs and other toiletries. The shower area (there were three enclosures) was a tad tight.

The cost to use the Spa was $40US per visit, although a three day option carried a $75US fee. Each treatment you purchase includes a visit to the aqua therapy area which helps to lower the overall cost. I ended up taking the three day pass and combining it with three of my four scheduled treatments to give me daily access.

To summarize, I wanted to (and did so) visit the facility six of the seven days aboard QM2. I really can’t call out any significant concerns although I will say I didn’t feel compelled to spend a lot of extended time, at least not in the immediate pool area. I think the lack of natural light with no connection to the ocean around (except for back and forth sloshing of the therapy pool when the ship did encounter some Atlantic action, a reminder we were aboard) coupled with the somewhat dated look – for example, previously there must have been two showers, one on either side of the pool, that had been disassembled, but the signs of their existence still obvious – as well as few burnt-out pot lights certainly didn’t contribute to any ambience. The whirlpool design and placement in the room gave it an institutional appearance. I mentioned the volume of the water earlier, its sound echoing about, and when the room, including the pool, was busy – and it did get busy at certain times – it’s more of a ‘get in, get out’ use.

Don’t misunderstand me here, I enjoyed this particular part of the overall Spa experience, but it didn’t ‘wow’ me, at least not if one is paying the $40US single fee use.

Part V – Public Rooms and Hiding Places

To be continued

Yes, Bravo! It feels rather like a recent series of "suits" as I'm eager for a next instalment, possibly with freshly popped corn in tow. Lovely to hear about your BF cabin experience which for us is upcoming, and very intrigued to learn of quiet hidey places :)

Yes, Bravo! It feels rather like a recent series of "suits" as I'm eager for a next instalment, possibly with freshly popped corn in tow. Lovely to hear about your BF cabin experience which for us is upcoming, and very intrigued to learn of quiet hidey places :)

Well, for the record, we had stateroom 11002 - a better location I think not (well, I suppose those duplex condos at the rear of the ship may be). I think if you're ok with a 'little' movement, BF is a great category - would absolutely choose it again.

Oh, and thank you for the positive feedback, too!

Edited by softsands

Part VI – Public Rooms and Hiding Places

I am unable to truly do this topic justice as we did not see, or visit, all of the public rooms QM2 offered to its guests. I will say that the rooms I visited, or simply passed by, large or small, are attractive and are worth visiting. I know there had been previous comments about certain spaces, such as Illuminations, and the condition of some of its seats, for example. The seats I 'sampled' felt fine on my tush and functioned comfortably. The room didn't knock me over, however, it was more than adequate for taking in a film or such.

Simply put, there is more than enough variety of bars and lounges to keep your typical bar-hopper busy for a crossing.

I’m not sure why I found the Royal Court Theatre smaller than I expected, perhaps it simply felt smaller due to its intimate design and accompanying décor; it certainly lent itself to a true theatre-feel. On a couple of occasions when the Court was 'not in session', I came wandering by and plunked myself down in the closest chair. And did nothing except to take in the room and imagine the broad artistry that would fill this room with music, drama, comedy, and education. Admittedly, we only saw bits and pieces of the entertainment – not to suggest the offerings were inferior to sitting out on the balcony, however, we simply preferred to exploit the sounds and serenity that the Atlantic offered. I can always go to a show at home.

Special mention to the Golden Lions Pub where we could enjoy a pint (or three) comfortably seated by a picture window providing close-up views of ocean swells as the QM2 pushed tirelessly through the seas; proximity that provided a first-hand view of just how fast twenty knots, give or take a knot, truly is.

What is neat is to find throughout the many public decks ‘just hanging’ spots that offered quiet and privacy. Deck 3 (or 3L) near Illuminations had these less travelled hallways that provided comfortable chairs placed by the windows. Put down with a good book, pick up your knitting, share some conversation, or just ponder life. For hours.

Topside on the upper decks often went unexplored and you could just set down on a free chair and ‘take a moment’ in solitude. My advice to any guest new to QM2 is to conduct a self-guided tour at their leisure and take mental notes of the many, potential areas that at some point during their voyage would serve them as a spot to steal away. Of course, for us, it was the balcony (I know, how many times do I have to say it? But as I sit here writing this latest instalment, it seems so long ago, yet seems like only yesterday that we sat out in the late afternoon sun, sipping our whiskey, and enjoying, without speaking, the wondrous Atlantic and our place in it at that point in time. Seems all so surreal now. Fortunately, we have the pictures to remind us how great it was. If there was ever an incentive to book a second crossing, that balcony was it).

Okay, before I get teary, moving on, the Kings Court at night for those not wanting to get with the formal program also provided some private, hiding corners to enjoy your evening meal. Now, you may not be experiencing the excellence of the formal dining room but if a quiet, unhurried dinner is what you desired, this is an excellent option – and the fare offered was very decent for this purpose.

We found the most concentration of guests (and it is clearly noticeable) takes place at the Kings Court at breakfast and lunch times, while the rest of the ship's public areas generally exude a calm, relaxed, no-crowding sense. Again, you could be the only soul walking the corridor to, or from, your stateroom. Where are the people? Show me the people. Or not.

We only browsed through the casino, it may have been much busier at night although we weren’t ever there to observe, however, throughout the day it was generally quiet and not well attended (guests saving their quarters to pay for Spa treatments, I suppose).

There was a strength of outdoor space, the promenade was well-travelled and many, hearty souls trudged it regularly. We observed a good number of folks making use of the loungers, perched for hours reading, snoozing, or simply staring out to see.

If one didn’t feel they were getting the requisite level of physical activity outdoors, the fitness center on deck seven was always an option. It was a popular location, too, although equipment was always readily available and in excellent condition.

In short, if someone were to suggest a lack of activities, dining and entertainment venues, or other interesting diversions aboard QM2, I would suggest there is simply not a ship afloat (or a resort on land, quite frankly) that could satisfy them.

I will make one comment about some of QM2’s public areas – in a few specific locations throughout the ship, the unmistakable scent of tobacco permeated the air. In a few of the seating alcoves in Kings Court one could undeniably smell cigar smoke. It wasn’t oppressive by any means but it was present. In and around some of the passenger stateroom corridors you could detect it, too. We surmised that the ventilation system was for some reason influenced by Churchill’s cigar room and that was the origin for the lingering cigar smell in certain places. The Golden Lions Club presumably at one point allowed smoking and the room retained some of that stale, offending fragrance representative of an era that is quickly, and thankfully, fading into the past.

To summarize, while the stateroom is normally seen as our sanctuary, QM2 gave considerable options if at any point one felt the walls closing in.

Part VI – Service with a Smile

To be continued

A very interesting and helpful summary, I share your comment about deck 3L hallway which always seems an inviting area to sit during the day, I wonder if some of the quieter less frequented evening areas like winter garden might get an update next year, of course the wonderful musicians Cunard have on board always attract in other areas, but it seems so different to the atmospheric Chart Room and Golden Lion where seats are more at a premium.

Edited by robbie_3

My apologies for the delay in posting this next installment, a little too much on my plate!

Part VI – Service With a Smile

As I near the end of this review of Cunard’s QM2 (and growing more envious of those of you reading who are about to voyage with her), this subject is one that deserved to come long before this point. The importance of customer service can never be understated, however, we were uncertain on a ship as large as QM2 and its high passenger count that we would receive anything more than a rudimentary level of service – at least this was our expectation.

The truth is on any of my sailing ventures I’ve always received nothing less than good service with a number of outstanding, over-the-top experiences. While I wouldn’t rate the QM2 voyage in the over-the-top category, I will say both Bro’ and I were extremely impressed with how we were treated in any of our interactions with the ship’s personnel.

In a nutshell, when staff can make you feel valued and appreciated as a guest in all dealings, that is an accomplishment and, in particular, when we’re speaking of a ship the size of QM2. Staff with who we interacted regularly such as room steward, wait and Spa personnel always addressed us by name. Our preferences and nuances were quickly learned and there was never anything less than genuine enthusiasm to ensure our satisfaction.

Even staff we encountered only in passing always had a smile and a greeting waiting for us. Nothing was phony or forced and their enjoyment to be serving us was obvious. Front desk personnel were pleasant in our limited dealings as were bar and shops’ staff.

Service was top notch on this trip and Cunard should be proud of their service teams.

Part VII – Distractions and Diversions

Do lots, do nothing. There are no shortage of doings on QM2 and, depending on your energy level, you have your choice to partake physically, cerebrally, or both as in the case of contact trivia. The golf simulator was an interesting experience, particularly on your follow-through at point of mid-swell. Putting was equally challenging and we ultimately agreed to gimme’s from 12 feet. Even with a liberal “you’re good” policy our scores were not indicative of our real ability. Or, maybe they actually were. Shuffleboard, ping pong and paddle tennis were traditional outdoor options.

Several lecturers on board spoke on a variety of interesting topics from aviation to geography to religion, films were shown regularly in Illuminations, and many entertainment choices including comedy, music or theatre were available in the Royal Court.

Our favorite pastime on this crossing was to do absolutely nothing, however, for the more inclined the activity menu was packed with great choices.

Part VIII – Final Thoughts

For anyone contemplating a first time on QM2, stop thinking and just book it. For anyone booked for a first time, your likely exuberant anticipation is well-placed. And for those gearing up for a second, third, or nth visit, well, ‘repeat customer’ says it all.

As I shared earlier, we went into our trip on QM2 with few expectations other than decent accommodation, food and service. Across the board, Cunard delivered well beyond our expectations, and set the bar high when we next return, kitchen passes tightly in hand.

Thanks to all following members for your kind feedback (and thank you to those who subscribed to the "if you have nothing good to say..."). I may have missed some questions in the thread and if you wish to ask me anything about our specific experience on this crossing, I'd be happy to respond.

Thank you so much for your thorough and continuously entertaining review. I'll be crossing in May, between the world cruise and the big refit and drydock. Reading some of the reviews on this site, I became concerned that the service and dining I had loved on our 2008 crossing and 2009 cruise had drastically deteriorated. ...and that she was in such disrepair that they were on the verge of repairing corridor carpets with duct tape. Glad to read your reassurances.

You just made me even more excited for next May! Thank you.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I'm so pleased you're enjoying it, I'm having fun writing it although some of the notes I took I can't read...and we know why that is. Part IV likely tomorrow. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Great job so far....made even more enjoyable by knowing we will be sailing on the QM2 for the 3rd. time in May! We love this ship!

And speaking of Homer Simpson, did you find him sitting in his chair on the huge bronze relief in the long hallway?

What a comprehensive and great review! We were on this crossing as well and agree with your comments and reviews. In fact, our cabin was near yours (we were in 11030). Our only comment is that we often used the A elevator and stairway and always wondered why there was a loud "whistling" noise as we walked by the forward cabins!! Now we know. We are surprised that you were not sucked out the doors! Your review was so comprehensive that we will not post here but will only second everything you said and are

already planning our next crossing.

• 1 year later...
My apologies for the delay in posting this next installment, a little too much on my plate!

Part VI – Service With a Smile

As I near the end of this review of Cunard’s QM2 (and growing more envious of those of you reading who are about to voyage with her), this subject is one that deserved to come long before this point. The importance of customer service can never be understated, however, we were uncertain on a ship as large as QM2 and its high passenger count that we would receive anything more than a rudimentary level of service – at least this was our expectation.

The truth is on any of my sailing ventures I’ve always received nothing less than good service with a number of outstanding, over-the-top experiences. While I wouldn’t rate the QM2 voyage in the over-the-top category, I will say both Bro’ and I were extremely impressed with how we were treated in any of our interactions with the ship’s personnel.

In a nutshell, when staff can make you feel valued and appreciated as a guest in all dealings, that is an accomplishment and, in particular, when we’re speaking of a ship the size of QM2. Staff with who we interacted regularly such as room steward, wait and Spa personnel always addressed us by name. Our preferences and nuances were quickly learned and there was never anything less than genuine enthusiasm to ensure our satisfaction.

Even staff we encountered only in passing always had a smile and a greeting waiting for us. Nothing was phony or forced and their enjoyment to be serving us was obvious. Front desk personnel were pleasant in our limited dealings as were bar and shops’ staff.

Service was top notch on this trip and Cunard should be proud of their service teams.

Part VII – Distractions and Diversions

Do lots, do nothing. There are no shortage of doings on QM2 and, depending on your energy level, you have your choice to partake physically, cerebrally, or both as in the case of contact trivia. The golf simulator was an interesting experience, particularly on your follow-through at point of mid-swell. Putting was equally challenging and we ultimately agreed to gimme’s from 12 feet. Even with a liberal “you’re good” policy our scores were not indicative of our real ability. Or, maybe they actually were. Shuffleboard, ping pong and paddle tennis were traditional outdoor options.

Several lecturers on board spoke on a variety of interesting topics from aviation to geography to religion, films were shown regularly in Illuminations, and many entertainment choices including comedy, music or theatre were available in the Royal Court.

Our favorite pastime on this crossing was to do absolutely nothing, however, for the more inclined the activity menu was packed with great choices.

Part VIII – Final Thoughts

For anyone contemplating a first time on QM2, stop thinking and just book it. For anyone booked for a first time, your likely exuberant anticipation is well-placed. And for those gearing up for a second, third, or nth visit, well, ‘repeat customer’ says it all.

As I shared earlier, we went into our trip on QM2 with few expectations other than decent accommodation, food and service. Across the board, Cunard delivered well beyond our expectations, and set the bar high when we next return, kitchen passes tightly in hand.

Thanks to all following members for your kind feedback (and thank you to those who subscribed to the "if you have nothing good to say..."). I may have missed some questions in the thread and if you wish to ask me anything about our specific experience on this crossing, I'd be happy to respond.

I hope that this note finds its way to you so that you know that over a year later some are still finding and enjoying your review. We are booked for our first QM2, first TA for January 2018 and are satisfying our curiosity, angst,( not sure what the correct word is to express what I'm feeling) with reading the experience of others particularly the happy, positive ones.

Thanks again

A friend sent me a link to this review, and what a wonderful read it has been..thank you so much for taking the time to write this.

I am eagerly awaiting our first cruise on the QM2 in just a couple of weeks :)