Transatlantic cruise/Champagne

Master0396

A half bottle of champagne is a bottle sized to hold 375 ml - half the volume of a regular 750 ml bottle.

The embarkation bubbly they give you is French sparkling wine, not legally champagne.

There is more to do every day of a transatlantic than you will have time for.

Could someone explain how they can possibly serve half a bottle of champagne?

Also, what is your opinion on a transatlantic cruise? Is it boring?

As the above poster stated, the half bottle is just a smaller bottle that is half the size of a normal bottle. And considering how bad the free Pol Acker is, we are lucky not to have a full sized one! :rolleyes::D HAHA

We just got off our first crossing last week and there is a lot to do...spa, lectures, afternoon tea, pre-dinner cocktails, classical music concerts, library, on and on and on. A transatlantic crossing on Cunard is one of the last great remnants from the golden age of travel; there is nothing quite like it left in this age of faster/cheaper/more casual travel trends [except maybe for a journey on the Orient Express]. The BEST part of a crossing [to me at least] is really getting to relax whilst forming new friendships with fellow passengers; you have much more time to get to know people than on a traditional cruise with several busy port days of touring.

Here is a picture of what you get (the champagne glass behind it gives you perspective on the size).

99715b5fefb9e99b2d2cc998198e133f.jpg

There is plenty to do on a transatlantic. Be sure to try some of the excellent lectures onboard. I don't think any cruise line can compare with Cunard for variety and number of lectures. Also, be sure to try afternoon tea!

Could someone explain how they can possibly serve half a bottle of champagne? Also, what is your opinion on a transatlantic cruise? Is it boring?
Hi Master0396

How is a half-bottle of (as has been pointed out by Underwatr) French sparkling wine served? It is served like this:

QM2 Chilled Pol Acker

(Scapnana has already very kindly posted a photo of a half-bottle as nature intended/au naturel, above :D ).

Sometimes I've found a half-bottle waiting, sometimes a whole bottle. There seems to be no pattern as to why, and frankly I don't give it a second thought or care (and can't remember which size was provided, once I'm home).

I usually bring my own bottle of something-sparkling to enjoy in the cabin whilst unpacking, or later dressing pre-dinner (the bucket of ice or cabin 'fridge come in handy (during lifeboat drill) to chill it).

I believe that in Queens Grill suites, a whole bottle of house champagne awaits you (someone correct me please).

As for being bored on a transatlantic crossing... there are so many activities listed in the Daily Programme, so many things to do, there simply aren't enough hours in the day.

You can do as much, or as little, as you want.

You can dash from one activity to the next venue, trying not to miss anything.

Or you can sit in an incredibly comfortable steamer chair on the promenade deck (weather permitting), or in any one of a score of quiet corners on board, and simply do... nothing.

I think the quote is "Only boring people get bored", and that is certainly true of a transatlantic trip on Queen Mary 2.

I've enjoyed many transatlantic crossings on board the QM2, and can honestly say I've never had a dull moment yet. From the varied daily activities, to simply watching the ocean. But most of all, meeting some of the most interesting, well travelled, entertaining, witty passengers; a crossing with Cunard is truly one of life's greatest pleasures.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

We've almost always been given a full bottle. Good news or bad?

(It's not bad in a mimosa.)

Poor Pol! Several years ago, there were 3 of us on a Caribbean cruise. We had a big roll call. Someone mentioned that they didn't like the PA and offered to hand it off to anyone who'd like it at the Meet and Greet. I said we'd happily take it. When we got to the M&G, there had to be six or more people with their PA and gave it all to us. Had a good laugh on that one. It doesn't make a bad Mimosa. We ordered extra OJ from room service breakfast and, VOILA! Mimosas!

Different ratios of OJ to bubbly (I had to look up a buck's fizz) but essentially the same.

I had to look that up as well. 2:1 or 1:2, but pretty much the same as you say.

But is it safe mixing Pol Acker with orange juice ? It might become unstable and cause a thermo-nuclear reaction !!

I had to look that up as well. 2:1 or 1:2, but pretty much the same as you say.

But is it safe mixing Pol Acker with orange juice ? It might become unstable and cause a thermo-nuclear reaction !!

If unsafe to consume, perhaps it can be pumped through the gas turbines on QM2 to give the ship more speed.

We had a half bottle on our first cruise last year and a full one on our subsequent 2 cruises, hoping for a full bottle to drink 3 weeks tonight for our first formal night. No complaints from us free alcohol is always good!

Lord above, next you'll be saying you actually like the gerkin in a Big Mac !

But of course......have a gherkin with your Buck's Fizz!

Funny story....Last year, we had requested a bottle of Hendrick's for the cabin. We enjoy it with cucumber so we asked our butler for some. Every day he would bring sliced cucumber with salt, pepper, knife and fork. Guess he thought we need a cuke fix every day!