QE vibration

sho

I just could not believe the vibration on Queen Elizabeth.

I sailed on it 3 years ago with no problem.

I sailed again this month staying in Queen suite 7059 and was disturbed by vibration and shaking noise in my suite, even when the ship was docked. The vibration was so bad that the floor and furniture shaked, creating a loud noise disturbing my sleep. Much worse during rough sea days when the floor creaked. I thought I was sailing on a 19th century wooden junk!

The suite was located mid-ship with cabins above, below and opposite, so I could not work out where the vibration was from.

When I went to Queen Grill for meals, my table was on vibration mode. I looked around other tables and could see the flowers and wine on those tables shaking too.

We had the same issue on our Guernsey cruise and asked the waiter about it. We were told it was when the ship was travelling slowly or in port with engines on. We noticed it in the QG restaurant during the embarkation lunch while in Southampton and again when pottering around the channel as Guernsey was our only stop on a 3 night trip so the ship was going extremely slow and actually moored overnight just off one of smaller islands as it was too early to moor outside Guernsey. I don't suffer from sea sickness at all but this vibration unsettled my stomach a lot more than any amount of pitching and rolling has ever done. It was not as bad in the midships cabin as it was in the QG restaurant.

The next month, we went to Iceland and were at the back of the ship. We had hardly any vibration (just a slight judder on docking) and also didn't notice anything in the QG restaurant, so I do think the waiter was correct about the slow element as we were travelling at normal speeds during this trip - a lot of the time to avoid the severe storms that were around. On the last day, the ship was rolling around in the swells, but again no vibration at all and no unsettled stomach so that vibration really is not good at all.

I just do not understand why there was so much vibration in my particular suite 7059. I am usually very careful about suite location to avoid vibration or noise.

This particular Queen Grill suite is suitated on deck 7, buffered above and below by other suites, as well as being opposite an inside cabin.

But unfortunately there was a lot of vibration which could also be felt in the corridor outside the suite

The vibration actually made the floor and furniture shake to such an extent there was noise disturbance in the room.

But I guess the vibration is very much location-related.

Unfortunately I was allocated table 34 in Queen's Grill, and the nearby tables also shook.

Whe I was in Commodore Club, Queen's Grill lounge, Queen Room, the spa, I did not notice any vibration at all.

However standing in the corridor waiting for the lifts and dining in the Veradah restaurant, I could feel vibration, at times shuddering!

Sho, we were allocated table 36 which was probably the one next to yours on Guernsey - turn left on entry and it was a window table with one person next to the curtain - perhaps it's just that area that suffers from vibration.

For Iceland, we had 16 or 17, immediately behind the Maitre D's desk (at the side of the 8) and we had no vibration at all.

All very odd.

Our first outing on QE was in 2011, in a QG suite at the stern. There was noticeable vibration, particularly when maneuvering in port but we also had to make sure the wine glasses were on a nice thick mat before going to bed otherwise the clinking would drive you nuts. Sitting at the rear of the theater at night you could her ceiling panels rattling over your head as well.

On a later voyage, we came across a gentleman who was a retired marine engineer, he'd done a lot of work over the years for Cunard and managed to blag himself a private trip around the bowels of the ship. He learned that vibration had been bad immediately after launch, the long and short of it being that the ship had been thrown together a bit too quickly in Italy and some of the damping for motors or azipods wasn't done well. I seem to remember that the Q4s were originally at the stern, but had been relocated in the early days because of complaints about vibration. However, it had all been sorted at a mini dry dock (I believe sometime on 2012).

Maybe the beer mats they'd stuck under the offending rotating machines have worked a bit thin and they now need some more?

Edited by Chunky2219
typo