Cunard in Bermuda?

KMVigs

I was just looking up cruises and saw that the Queen Victoria will be in Hamilton quite a few times in 2017. I didn't think a ship of that size could fit into Hamilton? That's why most ships dock at King's Wharf. Will she fit??

I was just looking up cruises and saw that the Queen Victoria will be in Hamilton quite a few times in 2017. I didn't think a ship of that size could fit into Hamilton? That's why most ships dock at King's Wharf. Will she fit??
I did go aboard the QE2 for cruises to Bermuda in 2001,2002 & 2003 and the QE2 and Queen Victoria are about the same size. Regards,Jerry

Unless requirements have drastically changed in the last year QV is over 200 feet too long for Hamilton. I see 2 reasonable alternatives. The first is Kings Wharf, which is not really Hamilton, but the port serves Hamilton. The other is that she will anchor in the harbor with tender service provided by the Bermudian.

I note that Cruisetimetables.com lists both QV and Crystal Serenity on one of the dates. I can guarantee quite certainly that both ships will not be able to dock in central Hamilton.

Roy

Unless requirements have drastically changed in the last year QV is over 200 feet too long for Hamilton. I see 2 reasonable alternatives. The first is Kings Wharf, which is not really Hamilton, but the port serves Hamilton. The other is that she will anchor in the harbor with tender service provided by the Bermudian.

I note that Cruisetimetables.com lists both QV and Crystal Serenity on one of the dates. I can guarantee quite certainly that both ships will not be able to dock in central Hamilton.

Roy

That's what I thought too. It'd be great if it could fit! Hamilton is much better than King's Wharf. But the itineraries on a few websites including Cunard's site does say "Hamilton"

Having lived in Bermuda for a large chunk of my life I can confirm Roy's understanding that nothing has changed - it will either be docked at Dockyard or in the Great Sound (and therefore be tendered by local Bermuda Govt tenders).

Mary

Bermuda in January can be very nice - maybe low 60's IF the sun is shining - it can also be horrible with winds and rain. Some times the wind chill can take it down to the 40's. However it is still preferable to snow and frost and other nasties experienced in winter in other parts of the world.

In so far as docking in Hamilton, length apart, it is the draught of the ship that is the problem as it is unable to pass through Two Rock Passage. I think "Hamilton" in cruise brochures is poetic licence as Crystal also quote docking in Hamilton and neither of their ships are able to pass through Two Rock and either tie up at the West End or tie up in the Great Sound.

Mary

I did go aboard the QE2 for cruises to Bermuda in 2001,2002 & 2003 and the QE2 and Queen Victoria are about the same size. Regards,Jerry

If you recall being docked, you were at the West End (Dockyards). QE2 was too large to get into Hamilton. On most of our QE2 visits to Bermuda, we were at anchor and tendered into Hamilton. One time we docked at the West End.