Need Advice about Yachtsman's Caribbean on Windsurf

acwmom

My DH and I take a spring trip every year in Feb/March to celebrate our anniversary. For 2016, I currently have reservations on both Oasis of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection (couldn't decide which to do, so booked on both while the pricing was good). Then, I got an email from Windstar about their flash sale, and now, I am seriously considering booking the Windsurf instead.

We are in our late 40's and mid 50's. We prefer Celebrity to RCCL for the better food (we book Aqua, so we can dine in Blu) and fewer kids. We enjoy spending time outdoors, and listening to a cappella groups/acoustic guitar. We enjoyed the all-inclusive beverage package on our last Celebrity cruise, but honestly, probably only have 1-2 drinks/night.

We have also been on 2 Uniworld river cruises, and like the more intimate size of the ships (though our 128sf cabin on our last trip was a bit "cozy").

In reading a lot of reviews, it seems like Windstar may be a good fit for us.

Can anyone who has done mass market and/or river cruises compare the two to Windstar?

Thanks!

Robin

We have done several 'mass market' cruises and a few very small cruises (30ish people) including a Nile river cruise and twice in the Maldives. Each experience is very different.

We took our first Windstar cruise last November (Jewels of the Caribbean out of Barbados) and loved it so much we have booked it again for this December and with Windstar in Europe in 2016.

Staff, service, food, are all excellent. If you want entertainment choices and multiple dining options this is not for you. If you want relaxation, good company and excellent personal service on a ship with only perhaps 120 other guests give it try.

We did Yachtsman's Carribbean this year and really enjoyed it. Windstar is a really reliable choice, food and service are great. The cabins are very comfortable, just not as luxurious as others such as Seabourn, but I think that is reflected in the price. Service is terrific. We have done two Windstar cruises and preferred the smaller Windstar (150 people) to Windsurf (300) but thats just a personal thing - both are excellent. Hope you have a great time!

We did Yachtsman's Carribbean this year and really enjoyed it. Windstar is a really reliable choice, food and service are great. The cabins are very comfortable, just not as luxurious as others such as Seabourn, but I think that is reflected in the price. Service is terrific. We have done two Windstar cruises and preferred the smaller Windstar (150 people) to Windsurf (300) but thats just a personal thing - both are excellent. Hope you have a great time!

can you tell me what boat you sailed on first and why you preferred the smaller boat?

Thank you.

18 times with Windstar Cruises. My favorite Caribbean cruise is the Yachtsman cruise because the BVIs I think are the most beautiful in the Caribbean. I have sailed since I was a teenager the Caribbean as an adult with WS it is a beautiful cruise. Where you go compared to the huge mass market cruises is a world of difference. Give it a try you will not regret it. Happy Sailing. Susanne

After discussing with my DH, we have decided to try Windsurf out! We are really looking forward to the laid-back style, and the smaller ports. We also like that there is only one sea day, and that most sailing occurs during the day. I'm thinking we may never sail a big ship again, after this:)

Robin

I think you will love it! We have been on the Windstar 4 times I think. Twice on the Windsurf, which I prefer for the Caribbean, and once each on the Windstar and Windspirit. We did the big ships, Celebrity, RCCL and Princess when our son was young and we traveled with a group of families and for a 3 generation trip. We enjoyed those too, but I much prefer the smaller, casual yet elegant atmosphere of the Windstar.

We have also done a river cruise with AMA on the Danube. You asked about a comparison - the size of ship is similar with 160 or so people. There are more food choices on the Windstar ships and a little better food I think although AMA was fine. Wine and beer were included with meals on AMA as was most of the tours - which were excellent - but that is reflected in the price. The Danube was especially beautiful in the fall and we were treated to glorious fall colors as we cruised. The service on both AMA and Windstar are excellent. That said, I am not in a hurry to go on another river cruise (well maybe Myanmar or Vietnam) but I will sign up for a Windstar cruise anytime.

If you are having 1-2 drinks per night, you will not want to sign up for a drink package. Even though wine and beer are not included like on a river cruise, you will not find the drinks to be expensive. We also sign up for laundry service, which was $109 for two, unlimited laundry (no drycleaning). This allows us to take carry on luggage only and have clean, pressed laundry at all times included returning home with a suitcase full of clean clothes.

Where Windstar lacks vs the big cruises is in entertainment. No multiple shows, big musicals, comedies, etc. There is generally a band, a little dancing after dinner, sometimes a duo or piano player in the bar. That is about it. Not a problem for us. I have also found that dealing with their main office when I have a question about something is a pain and the follow up is not good and I have received inaccurate information (on cabin size). Once on board though, the ship staff is wonderful. It really does feel like your own personal yacht.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

can you tell me what boat you sailed on first and why you preferred the smaller boat?

Thank you.

Windstar Cruises have the Wind Spirit and The Windstar as well as Windsurf, plus the new ships from Seabourn. The first two ships are pretty identical and take about 150 passengers. Windsurf takes 300 and is a bigger ship but still very elegant. It's just a personal thing really, we would sail on Windsurf again, it's a lovely boat - but preferred the smaller Windstar with only 150 - more intimate and easier to get to know people. Cabins are the same.

We did think that the new ships from Seabourn were just the right size though - no sails but only 200 passengers. They also have much more luxurious cabins. We will definitely be back to sail in them. Seabourn made a big mistake selling them as they are lovely little ships and Winstar did well to snap them up. Hope this helps.

My DH and I take a spring trip every year in Feb/March to celebrate our anniversary. For 2016, I currently have reservations on both Oasis of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection (couldn't decide which to do, so booked on both while the pricing was good). Then, I got an email from Windstar about their flash sale, and now, I am seriously considering booking the Windsurf instead.

We are in our late 40's and mid 50's. We prefer Celebrity to RCCL for the better food (we book Aqua, so we can dine in Blu) and fewer kids. We enjoy spending time outdoors, and listening to a cappella groups/acoustic guitar. We enjoyed the all-inclusive beverage package on our last Celebrity cruise, but honestly, probably only have 1-2 drinks/night.

We have also been on 2 Uniworld river cruises, and like the more intimate size of the ships (though our 128sf cabin on our last trip was a bit "cozy").

In reading a lot of reviews, it seems like Windstar may be a good fit for us.

Can anyone who has done mass market and/or river cruises compare the two to Windstar?

Thanks!

Robin

We switched to WS a couple of years ago - Elite members on Celebrity, but once we enjoyed our first WS Cruise (it was the Yachtsman Caribbean on Windsurf), we thought it would be hard to go back to massive cruise ships. We went on another Celebrity this past New Year's and decided at that point that we are finished with the larger cruise lines. We are booked for the Jewels of the Windward Islands itinerary this December on the Windstar and cannot wait. We are in our mid 50s and quite active. Love our fellow passengers on Windstar!

I am elite plus on Celebrity. Celebrity does a good cruise. We still cruise on Celebrity and Azamara. We did the one week on the Windsurf 2 years ago. It was the best cruise ever. WE just booked another Windsurf cruise for a special birthday. Windstar is outstanding. Just do it!!

Made my deposit, and hotel reservation made for the night prior:)

Watched the Mighty Ships episode from earlier this year…..

Now, I'll be watching airfare.

Thank you all so much, especially those who have sailed both big ships (Celebrity) and river cruise boats.

We are definitely laid back types, and I know we will have an incredible time

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are having a hard time deciding between the classic and the yachtsman. We are taking the trip to celebrate our 10th year wedding anniversary. Out of the 2 voyages which would you recommend? I read a review that the ports in yachtsman were surrounded by poverty, true? We took a cruise years ago that stopped in Roatan, Honduras and it was so depressing. Thank you!!:

My husband and I are having a hard time deciding between the classic and the yachtsman. We are taking the trip to celebrate our 10th year wedding anniversary. Out of the 2 voyages which would you recommend? I read a review that the ports in yachtsman were surrounded by poverty, true? We took a cruise years ago that stopped in Roatan, Honduras and it was so depressing. Thank you!!:

We chose the Yachtsman because it got such great reviews. The ports appear to be much smaller, which we liked. Our TA has done the Yachtsman, and said it was her favorite, by far, of any of the Windstar itineraries. (and, no, she wasn't simply trying to sell us a cruise:) ) We, too, have been to Roatan, and didn't find it any more depressing than the ports in Jamaica.

Robin

We did both of these back to back and had a great time. If I was pushed, I would say that the Yachtsman was the best - tiny islands, small places you might never go to except on a private yacht. There was an exclusive feel to it. However we would happily do either of them again - and certainly will!

Have you considered the Jewels of the Windward Isles itinerary? We did this last year out of Barbados and enjoyed it so much we are repeating this year.

It has a nice mix of bigger islands (St Lucia and Grenada) and and very small islands (Mayreau and Bequia) plus a sea day and a day in the Tobago Cays.

• 4 months later...