All inclusive alcohol package

Katbird93

just received the pricing for the all inclusive alcohol package. $434.70 per person, excludes mini frig and room service beverages. I believe this quite an increase from the last package. We like to do it for convenience, but this may change our minds.

Edited by Katbird93

The pricing is consistent with the windstar website which quotes $108 per cabin per day plus gratuity. I thought it included minibar but will need to check that. It is priced per cabin, not per person, meaning both people in the cabin need to take it. If you drink a little and are off the ship it is not good value, but if you plan to have wine with meals and the freedom to have a drink without signing for it, and plan to spend time on the ship then it would be ok (but not great value).

Somebody might answer this.

Does the wine list includes local (country-port-of-call) wine or is the wine list the same irrespective of location?

From what I remember, the wine list is quite decent but I wonder if it would be better to buy it at the port and pay the corkage fee.

Dandee2

Sun prince, this is exactly what the price sheet said, $434.70 pp. It is different than the last price sheet that did say $108 and did include mini frig, etc. There is also a max of $11.50 per glass of wine. There is no mention if it does or does not include gratuity. Wish I knew how to copy/past it....sorry!! I have actually emailed them to see why the brochure sent to me today is not the same as on the website. Will let you kno if I hear.

Edited by Katbird93

Let us know what the response from Windstar is, especially the restrictions/exclusions.

If you do the math then 434.70 x 2 = 108 per day plus 15% gratuity.

Here is the what the website says: PREMIUM BEVERAGE PACKAGE

This package offers you unlimited premium cocktails (except X.O. and Louis XIII), wine by the glass from the per glass wine menu, house champagne, and beer. It even includes mini-bar beverage selections and beverages provided through room service. Packages are only sold by stateroom or suite and must be purchased for all guests occupying the stateroom or suite. The Beverage Package must be purchased by the first day of the cruise the cost covers the full duration of the cruise. Package price is $108.00 per stateroom/suite per day, and does not include the standard 15% beverage service charge. The package price is inclusive of applicable taxes and please note the minimum drinking age aboard Windstar Cruises is 21 years old.

I emailed Windstar yesterday to ask about their vow package. In that information, was a pricing policy for beverages. It was only my intent to provide info to those curious. I can do math, only trying to let others know what it now says. The information I received states "Unlimited premium cocktails except XO and Louis XIII, wine by the glass up to $11.50 maximum, house champagne, beer and soft drinks; excludes mini-bar and beverages through room-service......7 day All-inclusive Alcohol Beverage Package...$434.70 per person."

Katbird, I didn't mean to imply you couldn't do the math. I was just confused by your post where you had mentioned that the price increased from $108, so I was trying to reconcile the cost back to the website price of $108 since it sounded like the same total cost to me.

It looks like the "vow package" has some restrictions (no minibar etc). Is the vow package part of a wedding package? I assume the premium beverage package is still offered? Can anyone confirm this.

Also, if anyone who has recently sailed can share the current alcohol price list (including the wine by the glass choice/price), it would be very helpful. There is an old price list in a previous post, but it's not up to date.

Thanks

I got a copy of the wine list and it seems to be one that does not change from cruise to cruise. There was no mention of local specials on that list but that might be something that is added. I'm not certain. The prices seemed to be "typical" of wines served in restaurants in the states and there was a variety of type as well as price. The corkage fee if you bring wine on board is $15.

I got a copy of the wine list and it seems to be one that does not change from cruise to cruise. There was no mention of local specials on that list but that might be something that is added. I'm not certain. The prices seemed to be "typical" of wines served in restaurants in the states and there was a variety of type as well as price. The corkage fee if you bring wine on board is $15.

Hi Bebajack - can you share/post the copy of the wine list that you have? ALso, would you have the "wine by the glass" pricelist?

Thanks

I finally have a clarification from Windstar regarding the all inclusive alcohol package. It does include mini bar and room service. No one has any idea where the brochure that I was sent came from or why I was sent it...lol. Sorry for any confusion.

I finally have a clarification from Windstar regarding the all inclusive alcohol package. It does include mini bar and room service. No one has any idea where the brochure that I was sent came from or why I was sent it...lol. Sorry for any confusion.

Do you have that in writing? Because this is what it says on the Windstar web site.

Simplify Your Voyage: Beverage Packages

August 22nd, 2011 / Windstar

Beverage Packages:

Beverage packages must be booked on the first day of the cruise at the reception desk.

Beverage packages are based on unlimited consumption, including drinks with meals.

Wine and champagne selections based on wine by the glass up to $11.50 per glass.

Mini-bar consumption is not included.

Super Premium Cognacs and Deluxe Cognacs not included.

Both guests in a cabin must purchase beverage packages.

All package prices inclusive of applicable taxes.

All beverage packages are subject to a 15% gratuity.

This is dated 2011 so maybe they have changed the policy regarding the mini-bar.

Do you have that in writing? Because this is what it says on the Windstar web site.

Simplify Your Voyage: Beverage Packages

August 22nd' date=' 2011 / [/size']Windstar

Beverage Packages:

Beverage packages must be booked on the first day of the cruise at the reception desk.

Beverage packages are based on unlimited consumption, including drinks with meals.

Wine and champagne selections based on wine by the glass up to $11.50 per glass.

Mini-bar consumption is not included.

Super Premium Cognacs and Deluxe Cognacs not included.

Both guests in a cabin must purchase beverage packages.

All package prices inclusive of applicable taxes.

All beverage packages are subject to a 15% gratuity.

This is dated 2011 so maybe they have changed the policy regarding the mini-bar.

This is exactly the brochure I was given a few days ago. I have emailed them and they have emailed back saying that the mini bar IS included, etc. So my guess is that I was given an old brochure earlier in the week. So, yes I have it in writing - lol!!

We decided to buy it for our West Bound crossing in a few months. It seemed like a lot to pay, but I didn't want to have to decide to have an extra drink or an extra glass of wine or not based upon the price issue. And this way it is covered. Also we were told that it does include Mini-Bar service.

Our next Windstar cruise is next September to Tahiti. Normally we take a least a case of wines with us to enjoy during the cruise but with the 2 bottle limit allowed entering Tahiti we will be looking into the beverage package. Last Spring on our Caribbean cruise aboard the Windsurf we found the wines by the bottle priced well and the selection good.

• 4 weeks later...
Our next Windstar cruise is next September to Tahiti. Normally we take a least a case of wines with us to enjoy during the cruise but with the 2 bottle limit allowed entering Tahiti we will be looking into the beverage package. Last Spring on our Caribbean cruise aboard the Windsurf we found the wines by the bottle priced well and the selection good.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but what is Windstar's policy for bringing alcohol onto the ship? I'm booked on the Panama Canal itinerary in December & looked on their website but didn't find anything.

Is there a limit on bottles that can be brought on board? Are there corkage fees, etc?

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but what is Windstar's policy for bringing alcohol onto the ship? I'm booked on the Panama Canal itinerary in December & looked on their website but didn't find anything.

Is there a limit on bottles that can be brought on board? Are there corkage fees, etc?

Our last cruise in the Caribbean this year we brought a case of wine aboard, the corkage fee was I believe $15.00.

A few years ago we traveled with another couple out of Barcelona and together we brought 2 cases aboard. Both times this was no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi We just did the Rome to Athens in late August on the Windstar, ,and here's what we encountered:

- You can bring wine on the ship and have it in your room, or pour a glass and have it out on the deck, wherever. They do not like it if you bring a bottle out onto the deck. If want to bring a bottle into the dining room, there is a corkage fee.

- The wine list is geared to the US, and there is nothing local. Bringing in local wines is very complex: they are point to point in any various ports not that many times per year, many of their ports are VERY small (access to local in any quantity), and of course all the liquor laws, etc.

- Crew members can be very helpful in finding local items

As to the all inclusive liquor, we came close to making it a draw. That said the prices were fair, and we are not heavy drinkers. I drink mainly wine and my husband has limited. But you are on vacation, and when they are putting up the sails.....

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed Wind Surf in April of this year, and the mini bar was absolutely included in the price of the beverage package. Our room steward asked us what our preferences were, and our frig was stocked with that throughout our cruise, both wine and spirits. Very nice convenience which the beverage package on Celebrity does not include.

Hi We just did the Rome to Athens in late August on the Windstar, ,and here's what we encountered:

- You can bring wine on the ship and have it in your room, or pour a glass and have it out on the deck, wherever. They do not like it if you bring a bottle out onto the deck. If want to bring a bottle into the dining room, there is a corkage fee.

- The wine list is geared to the US, and there is nothing local. Bringing in local wines is very complex: they are point to point in any various ports not that many times per year, many of their ports are VERY small (access to local in any quantity), and of course all the liquor laws, etc.

- Crew members can be very helpful in finding local items

As to the all inclusive liquor, we came close to making it a draw. That said the prices were fair, and we are not heavy drinkers. I drink mainly wine and my husband has limited. But you are on vacation, and when they are putting up the sails.....

We were on Rome to Venice to Athens last year and there was no shortage of local wine in almost every port.

A few specifically:

Dubrovnik had a ton of options, we stepped into at least three wine shops in the Old City and bought at one. We scored a bottle of the Plavak Mali the Mike Grgich is making in Croatia. That was the most expensive bottle we bought at about $30 US. Most were in the $7 to $20 range. Be prepared to,pay in Kuna in Croatia for wine purchases.

Split had a grocery store right near the tender dock with a decent selection.

Walk out the back entrance to the gated city in Kotor and keep walking in the same direction for about a quarter mile and there is a grocery store with a good selection of pretty much everything, including wine, candy, cookies, and personal items. We found Ricola cough drops at a "normal" price.

There is wine for sale at many places in Fira, just beware of provenance, we saw bottles on display in racks outside the doors baking in the sun.

Of course in Rome itself there are tons of shops.

In Venice there is a large coop near San Marco with a large selection and very reasonable prices.

No problem carrying any if our purchases back on board. And we acquired over a case of wine in our travels. We took an empty Wine Check with us and came home with it full. US CBP waived duty, as it "wasn't worth the paperwork for a few cents."

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...