New to WindStar - the wine allocation small print

ikelmay

Hi everyone, we are about to embark on a WindStar cruise and looking forward to it very much.

A question please - I seem to have conflicting answers from what seems to be 2 alternate Windstar websites (one I access looks like an older WindStar web page, and one a more modern page)...... one FAQ tells me that I can bring wine onboard for in-cabin consumption (i.e. no limitation) and one says passengers may bring two bottles.

So which is it? and just to add to the lack of clarity, if it is a two bottle limit is that per passenger or per cabin?

I don't want to turn up with 4 bottles, only to find the cruise line will not permit more than 2.

Thanks for your input.

Never asked but it should be per person. You can take it to dining room for corkage fee of $15. That being said, their wine on board is pretty reasonable so you might want to skip carrying bottles around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the ship and accommodations/bar manager. Last summer when we were on the Wind Surf in the Baltic we took 12 bottles on board for our 19 day cruise. We also bought wine by the glass and a few of their bottles. Their prices are very fair.

• 2 weeks later...
Two bottles per person is correct. Been there and done that, last April.

Hi,

Good to hear that you were just on Windstar.

This is a first for us.

Can you give me an idea of how people dress during the day and at night?

I understand that coat and tie is not required, but there are so many levels of “casual”.

Thanks,

Judy

The dress code on Windstar during the day is what ever you like, people normally wear shorts and shirts or tee shirts. Evenings is Long Pants and a collared shirt. I had problems with my posts yesterday I was trying to post last night on my Ipad. I did my Reply to this question and I submitted the reply it kept posting and old post. I could not delete it only edit. This morning I am responding on my PC

Depending on itinerary. Islands casual at night. Sundresses or decent pants and cute tops. Guys Tommy Bahama look. Shorts and bathing suits with cover during day. Europe during day is all casual. If you're going into churches cover your arms and knees. Nights on board a little dressy with nice tops and pants or skirts. They sell Joseph Ribkoff onboard which is great for travel. Expensive but it will give you an idea of style.A few men will wear sport coats but most nice ironed shirt and slacks. If it's cool pretty sweaters. It's all good as long as it's not sloppy. They call it country club casual. Night of deck barbecue is casual. Really the whole experience is understated. Shoes. Flats. A few women do really high heels at night but ship can roll if it's windy so lower really works better. At least for me. Nobody is really paying attention to what you're wearing unless you are totally overdressed or look like you just rolled out of bed. Anything in between works.

Depending on itinerary. Islands casual at night. Sundresses or decent pants and cute tops. Guys Tommy Bahama look. Shorts and bathing suits with cover during day. Europe during day is all casual. If you're going into churches cover your arms and knees. Nights on board a little dressy with nice tops and pants or skirts. They sell Joseph Ribkoff onboard which is great for travel. Expensive but it will give you an idea of style.A few men will wear sport coats but most nice ironed shirt and slacks. If it's cool pretty sweaters. It's all good as long as it's not sloppy. They call it country club casual. Night of deck barbecue is casual. Really the whole experience is understated. Shoes. Flats. A few women do really high heels at night but ship can roll if it's windy so lower really works better. At least for me. Nobody is really paying attention to what you're wearing unless you are totally overdressed or look like you just rolled out of bed. Anything in between works.

The dress code on Windstar during the day is what ever you like, people normally wear shorts and shirts or tee shirts. Evenings is Long Pants and a collared shirt. I had problems with my posts yesterday I was trying to post last night on my Ipad. I did my Reply to this question and I submitted the reply it kept posting and old post. I could not delete it only edit. This morning I am responding on my PC

Thank you both so much.

This really helps.

We’ve been big ship cruisers for years & this should be refreshing.

I do not like seeing people dressed to do yard work when they enter the dining room for dinner. I am not a prude, but it is easy to put on nice slacks and a nice shirt or blouse.

Judy

• 1 month later...
Back to the wine question for a moment.... Can you purchase wine in a port and bring it on board, or do they confiscate it like the big cruise ships like to do?

I know the party line on wine in public areas is that there is a corkage fee. But in practice, how does it actually work? If you open the wine in your cabin, is it required to stay in your cabin? Or can you bring a glass of wine with you to a public area (like the deck)? To dinner?

Have opened wine in the cabin to drink and have brought bottles to dinner. Never had a problem. Could depend on the wine steward. We generally buy their bottles in the dining room. Good selection and fair prices. Not like the big ships.

Have opened wine in the cabin to drink and have brought bottles to dinner. Never had a problem. Could depend on the wine steward. We generally buy their bottles in the dining room. Good selection and fair prices. Not like the big ships.

Thanks, good to know. We are doing our first Windstar (on Wind Star) cruise in January. We will try to do a blend of our stuff and their stuff.

When you buy a bottle in the dining room, can you have it corked for the following evening if you do not finish it? Can you take it with you?

We were on Windstar Surf from October 13 - 21.

What a great time we had.

Wine - We brought 2 bottles and had no problems opening in our cabin and then taking a glass to public areas and/or dining room.

We did buy a bottle in the dining room & had it for 2 nights.

Breakfast and lunch got a little crazy at times.

More people wanted to eat at the same time than was possible.

All staff members were great with my gluten free necessity.

The only problem I had was they did not have the gluten free vodka I needed.

Plain tonic was free, so I was a “cheap date”. LOL