Water bottles reused???

Ragnar Danneskjold

IFLYMAUI mentioned this in his review of Legend, can anyone confirm it?

"8) BOTTLED WATER: (complimentary) is supplied upon boarding in each stateroom. BUT-NOT-SEALED. So we asked our stateroom attendant and was told that the water is refilled with the ships tap water with the same bottles being used cruise-after-cruise. There are no water packages available for sale onboard."

I'm not sure what he means by there are "no water packages" for sale on board.

Does Windstar, Legend in particular, provide bottled water at the tender boarding area, or on the dock, to take ashore?

Is sealed, bottled water available at meals? How about sparkling water?

If what IFLYMAUI says is true, that is very unsanitary, others may drink directly from the bottles in the cabin.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

I have not sailed Windstar since they started offering complimentary bottled water, but I find it quite difficult to believe they are reusing water bottles, unless these are glass bottles that could be washed.

If bottled water is free, there would be no need to sell water packages.

Edited by 6rugrats

Perhaps if this is a pressing issue for you, consider calling Windstar and asking?

Wasn't the poster who wrote the review the one with a thread complaining about a change of ports in Italy?

Edited by 6rugrats

We have sailed WS 5 times in last 2 years. Water in the cabin is in glass container not sealed. Think heavy glass milk bottles. They are refilled daily. Dont know the source of the water but it tastes good and neither one of us has ever gotten any stomach upsets. There also cups provided and they are not the type of bottle one would drink directly from. There is bottled water available when leaving the ship for tours etc. And always available at the bars in yacht club, compass rose, etc. If one is a germophobic person, of which there are many, bring the bottled water back to your cabin. Chill everyone and Happy sailing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Perhaps if this is a pressing issue for you, consider calling Windstar and asking?

Wasn't the poster who wrote the review the one with a thread complaining about a change of ports in Italy?

How do you tell if a manager is lying? When their lips are moving.

IFLYMAUI's only forum posts in 2015 are two about sharing a cab.

We have sailed WS 5 times in last 2 years. Water in the cabin is in glass container not sealed. Think heavy glass milk bottles. They are refilled daily. Dont know the source of the water but it tastes good and neither one of us has ever gotten any stomach upsets. There also cups provided and they are not the type of bottle one would drink directly from. There is bottled water available when leaving the ship for tours etc. And always available at the bars in yacht club, compass rose, etc. If one is a germophobic person, of which there are many, bring the bottled water back to your cabin. Chill everyone and Happy sailing.

Thank you!!! Issue resolved.

Wow. Chill kids and find something really important to getting upset about in your world. I'll bet there are lots of people who could use your help. I am thankful every day that I have the health, freedom, and funds to travel and make new friends. And the managers at WS have been nothing but nice to me and have accommodated us in many special circumstances. They rock!

How do you tell if a manager is lying? When their lips are moving.
Apppears that it's as suggested; water bottles in the room are glass and certainly are washed between passengers.
IFLYMAUI's only forum posts in 2015 are two about sharing a cab.

Sometimes posts don't last forever.

Wow. Chill kids and find something really important to getting upset about in your world.

Not sure where this comes from?

Edited by 6rugrats

He/she? Is beautiful. Didn't mean you were a germophobe. But there are many. I'm kind of one on occasion and then my husband just laughs at me and reminds me of everything good in life. Being married to an optimist has its moments.

Windstar uses this system: https://www.naturawater.com/.

You will have two bottles in your room - one still and one sparkling. I am assuming that the cabin steward does not fill them from the tap - certainly not for the sparkling!

We've always also found several bottles of sealed water in our refrigerator, if not just ask for it and it will be stocked. They also provide bottles of water as you leave the ship in port.

We've never seen sparkling, only 2 bottles of still. And we never opened the mini bar so I didn't even think about that option. Good to know although I'd rather not pay mini bar prices.

On our last cruise, the "mini-bar" (the small bottles of alcohol) were not in the refrigerator but in a drawer. There may have been beer in the fridge (can't really remember since I don't drink it) but it was fully stocked with various soft drinks and bottled water which, of course, are free.

After Windstar introduced this water system several year ago, we have always had the two different Natura bottles which works great - I'm a still drinker and my husband is a sparkling.:D

The last Windstar cruise we were on there were glass water bottles in the staterooms, that were reused, and refilled regularly. They contained both still water and sparkling water. They also had the traditional plastic water bottles (not reused) at the bars around the ship.

Boy our sparkling water must have been flat. Asked my husband since he's the water drinker and the report was they were both still. Either cabin steward or flat fizzy. I prefer the purity of wine and/or rum.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, the final answer on this question is that the cleanliness of the bottles is unknown. We were on a shore excursion from Legend when one of the pax reached into her big bag and pulled out one of the glass bottles and drank from it. I told her that single-use bottles of water were available at the Star Bar and the gym. She said she was not aware of that.....

This occured near then end of the cruise and I never got a chance to enquire if the glass bottles are sanitized before refilling.

This is another Windstar (Legend at least) issue, as they put out a few bottles of water in the lounge for people to take on shoreex, but they were soon all taken. We began to pick up a couple from the Star Bar on the way to shoreex.

As an aside, in a talk about the ship, one of the crew said the ship does not make water from seawater, it takes on water into tanks at ports. That is why the tap water is very chlorinated, and why they use the filter machines to fill the glass water bottles and water for the dining room, etc.