Tunis or not?

jeanlyon

Our cruise on Oriana this September is scheduled to dock in Tunis. I have been many times and have no desire to go ashore, but other cruise lines are not going into Tunis after 12 cruise passengers died, so I wonder if there will be a change.

Edited by jeanlyon

I would guess as things stand at the moment then no. However, they don't have to make up there minds just yet as things may change. I would think they would make up their minds about six weeks before departure. An alternative would be Malta unless you are already going there.

Brian

One of my team at work just spent 2 weeks in Tunisia she said she felt absolutely safe. Personally myself I wouldn't get off the ship but only because I said that before this issue happened. We've been twice and I don't need to see it again

We went a 2/3 years ago after they had their last lot of troubles and there were tanks in the streets of Tunis and did not feel safe then and the tour guide with us on our P&O excursion when we got off the coach inspected us all for anyone showing jewellery or watches and told us at all times to stay as a group and dont wander off.

We went a 2/3 years ago after they had their last lot of troubles and there were tanks in the streets of Tunis and did not feel safe then and the tour guide with us on our P&O excursion when we got off the coach inspected us all for anyone showing jewellery or watches and told us at all times to stay as a group and dont wander off.

Did you miss the news re the shootings in the last 12 months.

Did you miss the news re the shootings in the last 12 months.

No I didnt I was refering to the problems they had in there country with a government uprising in 2011 similar to what happened to Egypt which happened a short period before we went. The problems in the last 12 months are terrorist action which could happen anywhere in the world at anytime.

I agree it could happen anywhere, but I am afraid I am not going to visit these muslim countries at the moment. Not to mention that I have been to Tunis in the past and have no interest in going ashore.

I agree it could happen anywhere, but I am afraid I am not going to visit these muslim countries at the moment. Not to mention that I have been to Tunis in the past and have no interest in going ashore.

So you wont go France or Denmark which have had terrorist attacks in the last 12 months and they are hardly muslim countries and it could easily happen anywhere in the UK.

So you wont go France or Denmark which have had terrorist attacks in the last 12 months and they are hardly muslim countries and it could easily happen anywhere in the UK.

I do think we get too hysterical about all this. I agree that I have no desire to visit any Muslim country at the moment. However the UK has lived with Terrorism, well for all my 33 years. Don't forget the IRA. They have killed more people in the UK than any Muslim attack. The other school of though is that the higher the terror alert the more observant the public are.

• 1 month later...
With today's shocking news I think all the questions have been answered. It will be a long time before cruise ships will be calling there

David.

Thoughts and prayers are with those affected. :(

P&O constantly review ports in such cases and will no doubt have a contingency plan. As well as us passengers they have a responsibility to their officers and crew. I am just glad I visited Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Israel and the Black Sea before it all got so unpredictable.

My only hope is P&O can come up with an interesting alternative and not Sicily or Malta again. The first time we were redirected to Malta I was pleased as I hadn't been before but after three visits ...........

We got the news that my dh aunt and cousin are safe and were further down the beach. Just consolidates my choice not to visit.

Good news for your family - can't imagine the horror if these events.

On the Tunisian port day, I'd be staying on the ship. The safest place to hide away might be in the Retreat. At £20/day/person I doubt even the terrorists will be prepared to enter!

No one would be looking down on those with inside cabins (!!).

In all honesty I'd feel wary doing Suez at present... So many volatile regions in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like it is Malta instead, not that P&O have informed me but it has been changed on the website!

Might just stay on board there too - especially since on that day there are two big MSC ships and a Costa one all in Valetta!

We have been emailed today to inform us that we won't be calling at Tunisia on our forthcoming Adonia cruise and will be calling at Cadiz instead.....we are already calling at Malta.

That's a relief then! :)