Newbies

diamondsparkling

Hi everyone, we have just booked our first cruise on Oceania Nautica, having cruised on various other lines. Reading the posts it would appear that most of the travellers are American, are there any UK residents here?

Really looking forward to this cruise as it will be milestone birthdays for me and my husband, is it worth purchasing the drinks packages?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Val

There are differing opinions on the value of the drinks packages. For us, it isn't worth it because we don't drink enough for it to be of value. For others, it IS. Some just prefer the convenience and don't care if they might be spending more with the package than they could do on their own. You need to figure out how much you might be drinking to make the determination on your own.

Another factor is if you are on a port intensive cruise. If so, there's less time to be having wine or beer with lunch, while you are lounging around the pool, etc.

Another factor for me is that I prefer to buy a bottle of wine of my choice (either from the list or what I brought on board) rather than a limited selection of wines by the glass. Again, it depends on your "drinking style".

If I were to get the package, it would definitely be the more expensive version.

Welcome to Oceania.

Mura

Really looking forward to this cruise as it will be milestone birthdays for me and my husband, is it worth purchasing the drinks packages?

We are also new to O, taking our first cruise in March. For the price, we don't think the drinks package is worth it. $60 per person per day is more than we would spend on individual drinks. I am more likely to spend my calories on smoothies or milkshakes, which are included.

We are also new to O, taking our first cruise in March. For the price, we don't think the drinks package is worth it. $60 per person per day is more than we would spend on individual drinks. I am more likely to spend my calories on smoothies or milkshakes, which are included.

$60 for the premium package includes the 18% tip. Thus, for the better wines (by the glass, e.g., Mirabelle)/spirits (e.g., Bombay Sapphire), you're talking about four drinks per day to make the package a value (not to mention not having to sign chits).

Val

It depends

On the Preismans blog they have copies of the bar menus so check the drinks you may drink during the day & prices then add 18% gratuity

http://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_menus.htm

Compare with the package price at $60 pp pd

Only you can decide if it is worth the price

$60 for the premium package includes the 18% tip. Thus, for the better wines (by the glass, e.g., Mirabelle)/spirits (e.g., Bombay Sapphire), you're talking about four drinks per day to make the package a value (not to mention not having to sign chits).

Over the course of a one week cruise I would have maybe three drinks total. DH, a glass of wine with dinner and perhaps a Scotch each day. So for us, it's not worth it.

Remember you can bring alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin. We enjoy a cocktail in the cabin while getting dressed.

You can bring wine on board and pay a corkage fee in the Dining room. If it takes several dinners to finish a bottle they will store it for you and it is available at any dining venue when you want it.

Thanks folks for your replies, we are getting on board credit so if we purchased the drinks package it would come from this, I presume.

We went to the Baltic last year so we won't be doing the St. P's trip again but some of the ports we haven't been to so looking forward to seeing them.

What's the entertainment like on a smaller ship, having only been on larger ships before?

Thanks again Val & Dave

As many have said before, Oceania's strong suit is NOT the entertainment.

I can't say that entertainment is better on the "O" ships as opposed to the "R" ships, or vice versa. They seem to me to be pretty comparable. (We've sailed so far on Regatta the most, next Insignia and Marina, next Nautica. Will be on Sirena in October. So far no Riviera._

Mura

Hi everyone, we have just booked our first cruise on Oceania Nautica, having cruised on various other lines. Reading the posts it would appear that most of the travellers are American, are there any UK residents here?

Val

On short cruises under 14 days, not port intensive it can be, good.

However on longer cruises the trend and your body will tell you... that you can not keep up a steady regime of powering down drinks.

Much like food, after 2 weeks or so people start slowing down same with booze or anything... you get to a point.