Kids on Alaska Regatta Cruises?

curtdesilets

We are considering a repeat cruise on Regatta for Alaska this year, having done one 3 years ago.

I noticed that they rolled out a kids activity program for these cruises.

Just curious for any of you that gave cruised Alaska on Regatta in the past, were there a lot of kids on board? And if so, were they well mannered? Not that we are "kid adverse", but my wife and I are seriously looking for a nice romantic adult vacation. And Regatta is a pretty small ship.

Thanks in advance for any comments. - Curtis

We are considering a repeat cruise on Regatta for Alaska this year, having done one 3 years ago.

I noticed that they rolled out a kids activity program for these cruises.

Just curious for any of you that gave cruised Alaska on Regatta in the past, were there a lot of kids on board? And if so, were they well mannered? Not that we are "kid adverse", but my wife and I are seriously looking for a nice romantic adult vacation. And Regatta is a pretty small ship.

Thanks in advance for any comments. - Curtis

We have taken the FIRST of the season Regatta Alaska cruise twice and thankfully there were no children. We also had great weather.

If you book the same cruise once schools let out for the summer you will probably have children on board.

The cruises that have the Explorer program are listed at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/youth-program/

just choose one not on the list if you want to have less children onboard

some how I cannot see hundreds of them on the ship like on a main stream lines

Edited by LHT28

We were on an early May cruise with few children.

As said, pick the times around school breaks.

We have 4 sons and love them dearly but also like cruising without children who now seem to rule the roost.

Generalisation I know as there are well behaved ones as well.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on an early May cruise with few children.

As said, pick the times around school breaks.

We have 4 sons and love them dearly but also like cruising without children who now seem to rule the roost.

Generalisation I know as there are well behaved ones as well.

Just booked the cruise for July. Regatta is an itty bitty ship (2/3rds scale), and kids in general need a lot of space to run around. I'm hoping that parents will consider another ship that would be more suitable for a "family" vacation. Fingers crossed. :D

Otherwise, I am THRILLED that we are returning to Regatta. We had a very special time last time, 3 years ago. Our cruise was officially the 10th anniversary of Oceania and we were sailing with Frank Del Rio and his extended family. Lot's of celebration.

Here is the Oceania blog on that sailing:

http://oceaniacruisesblog.com/2013/07/15/10th-anniversary-sailing-onboard-regatta-concludes-1/

Edited by curtdesilets
Added blog site

Just booked the cruise for July. Regatta is an itty bitty ship (2/3rds scale), and kids in general need a lot of space to run around. I'm hoping that parents will consider another ship that would be more suitable for a "family" vacation. Fingers crossed. :D

Well if it is one of the cruise with the children's program advertised on it why would you expect to have no children???

Some children are better behaved than others same goes for adults ;)

Well if it is one of the cruise with the children's program advertised on it why would you expect to have no children???

Some children are better behaved than others same goes for adults ;)

But the other point is that we saw some pretty unruly kids on that Oceania Cruise in July 2013. Kids will be bored on a small Oceania ship like the Regatta, I guarantee it. :rolleyes:

But the other point is that we saw some pretty unruly kids on that Oceania Cruise in July 2013. Kids will be bored on a small Oceania ship like the Regatta, I guarantee it. :rolleyes:

Agree completely! It does not take many unruly kids to ruin a cruise. Also, comparing adults to children does not make sense to me. If an adult is drunk or acting inappropriately, they can be spoken to by officers on board and - if necessary, be asked to return to their suite. Heaven help any person that tries to correct unruly children -- no matter what they are doing. For this reason, we do not sail when school is not in session. Our Alaska cruises have been in May -- great weather -- people in Alaska are so excited to see the first guests of the season and there usually are no children!!!

The point is if they advertise a program for children then there will be children ....probably more than on other sailings that do not advertise the program

It is like booking a Disney cruise & complaining because there are children onboard :rolleyes:

So far Oceania has not banned children so people will take their children with them no matter how you feel about them

The point is if they advertise a program for children then there will be children ....probably more than on other sailings that do not advertise the program

It is like booking a Disney cruise & complaining because there are children onboard :rolleyes:

So far Oceania has not banned children so people will take their children with them no matter how you feel about them

You haven't addressed the BOREDOM issue. Your argument in theory may be correct, but you know what my point is, and it is shared by many on this Oceania forum. Just saying. ;)

"No Matter How I Feel About Them?"

That's a bit overboard now isn't it? I had a simple question for people that were on this ship during the Alaska season. Unless you were and have some valid facts answering said question, I'm not all that interested. - OP

Agree completely! It does not take many unruly kids to ruin a cruise. Also, comparing adults to children does not make sense to me. If an adult is drunk or acting inappropriately, they can be spoken to by officers on board and - if necessary, be asked to return to their suite. Heaven help any person that tries to correct unruly children -- no matter what they are doing. For this reason, we do not sail when school is not in session. Our Alaska cruises have been in May -- great weather -- people in Alaska are so excited to see the first guests of the season and there usually are no children!!!

We try to book cruises when children are in school. Alaska: usually late May or early September. We are not anti-kid in any respect. But we are looking for a relaxing "Adult Vacation" when we go on vacation. Timing works out for July for us this year which is the height of FAMILY VACATION time. Everything about our previous Oceania cruise was spot on, except for one little thing: More children than we expected. That was the point of my question here.

Edited by curtdesilets
grammar

You haven't addressed the BOREDOM issue. Your argument in theory may be correct, but you know what my point is, and it is shared by many on this Oceania forum. Just saying. ;)

Some children are not bored by being on a cruise with their family

We had a couple of young children on a Baltic/Norway sailing (not Oceania) they were so awestruck with the scenery & the ports

They were well mannered & well behaved, maybe good parenting had something to do with it

I would say they were under 10 yrs old & on a smaller ship than O they were never a problem

You booked a sailing for Alaska that has the Explorer program & now complaining because there will be kids onboard ????

Just saying

No one can predict if there are children onboard your cruise will be well mannered or not

We have had at least 8 children (pre teens) on 1 cruise but never found them to be ill mannered

I would love to do a Christmas cruise but I know there will be more children on those sailings so I do not book them

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Some children are not bored by being on a cruise with their family

We had a couple of young children on a Baltic/Norway sailing (not Oceania) they were so awestruck with the scenery & the ports

They were well mannered & well behaved, maybe good parenting had something to do with it

I would say they were under 10 yrs old & on a smaller ship than O they were never a problem

You booked a sailing for Alaska that has the Explorer program & now complaining because there will be kids onboard ????

Just saying

No one can predict if there are children onboard your cruise will be well mannered or not

We have had at least 8 children (pre teens) on 1 cruise but never found them to be ill mannered

I would love to do a Christmas cruise but I know there will be more children on those sailings so I do not book them

YMMV

Good parenting is important, and we have had several cruises with exceptionally well behaved children on board.

As I said in the middle of this string of messages, we are hoping that there are few kids on this particular sailing and small boat, and if not, at least well mannered and/or supervised kids on this ship. The converse of that is just not enjoyable for us. Fingers crossed (as I said before).

Thanks for your input in the discussion.