For women - Of the 4 free Specialty Restaurants

Iamthesea

Which is the dressiest restaurant?

Trying to decide on my clothes for upcoming cruise. Do I need sparkly high heel shoes? I have a pair of flow-y black party pants with a black & gold top. I have two shoe options.

And does Oceania do anything special for Valentines Day? Valentines will be the first night of our cruise, but we will be in the MDR.

OK, I have the black slacks and tops, plus a pair of black sandals for wear most evenings. I just thought I would dress a little nicer for one of the specialty restaurants. :) For some reason, I was thinking Jacques.

So which would you choose for the gold? Both are high heeled, but the gold flowered shoe has a more sensible shape to the heel. Both comfortable, though I'd give an edge to the slip-on.

IMG_1203.jpg.2ae2957add09be03727367d60562c3e4.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg.07e5d96b0992a83bed0ddb4a683f2057.jpg

I believe we are on same cruise, Riveria, which leaves next Friday, February 12. Valentine's Day is Sunday, February 14th. We have a reservation at Red Ginger (our favourite) for Valentine's Day. dinner. Don't know if Oceania does anything special that day.

From what I saw on our Riveria cruise last year, people dress nicely in the speciality and main restaurants. Not particularly super dressy, but heck, you are on a cruise and the sparkly heels sound wonderful! I'm taking my basic black heels and outfits are what I'd wear to a fancy restaurant in the city

NEED no but if you want to wear sparkly anything no one will stop you ;)

I take a pr of Blk dress slacks or skirt with a nice top for evening wear & black strappy flat shoes

Same here. I don't own sparkly anything and we pack very light since we come in early and travel for several weeks after disembarkation. If you like dressing up then do so and enjoy.

Which is the dressiest restaurant?

Trying to decide on my clothes for upcoming cruise. Do I need sparkly high heel shoes? I have a pair of flow-y black party pants with a black & gold top. I have two shoe options.

And does Oceania do anything special for Valentines Day? Valentines will be the first night of our cruise, but we will be in the MDR.

2nd night, not first. Leaves 2/12 and Valentines day is 14th. I am sure you will look great whatever you wear. :):):)

You will be fine with basic black slacks, sandals or comfortable shoes. We love the country club casual standard on Oceania. Don't worry too much about the dress code.

I have seen a little dressier attire in Jacques, the venue and menu is a little more formal.

I hope you enjoy Oceania as much as we do.

I don't do sparkly (not sure I ever did) and I haven't worn a HIGH heel since my knee surgery 10 years ago. No, come to think of it, I haven't worn a HIGH heel since I married a shorter man. But I'm not sure what your definition of "high" is either.

I liked the looks of both photos so either would be fine of course. But 4" heels are definitely not needed on board the ship if that is what you were thinking ...

I would agree that women dress up a "bit" more for the specialty restaurants, but it's still far from formal most of the time. You can be elegant without being formal ...

Mura

It's fun to be dressed a little nicer in the specialty restaurants, but certainly isn't required. Just remember that you are on a moving ship and heels can be treacherous if the seas aren't cooperating! Our first cruise I took at least a dozen pair of shoes (including heels) but now am down to one pair for evening and a few for walking, hiking, day wear. The evening shoes are usually dressy appearing black patent sandals - but only a one inch heel.

To answer your question more specifically, I would dress up the most in Jacques or Polo and the least in Red Ginger (note: depending upon the climate outside, Red Ginger tends to be extremely warm - almost uncomfortable so). I enjoy tops with sparkles. The most disappointing thing we found on the Riviera was how slovenly some people dress (particularly men). We saw passengers dressed like they were going to a backyard barbeque:mad: Thankfully, more people dressed up in the specialty restaurants.

I believe we are on same cruise, Riveria, which leaves next Friday, February 12. Valentine's Day is Sunday, February 14th. We have a reservation at Red Ginger (our favourite) for Valentine's Day. dinner. Don't know if Oceania does anything special that day.

From what I saw on our Riveria cruise last year, people dress nicely in the speciality and main restaurants. Not particularly super dressy, but heck, you are on a cruise and the sparkly heels sound wonderful! I'm taking my basic black heels and outfits are what I'd wear to a fancy restaurant in the city

2nd night, not first. Leaves 2/12 and Valentines day is 14th. I am sure you will look great whatever you wear.

DH has already pointed out to me that the 14th is Valentines. :D I was mixing up the date with my nieces birthday. When I posted my question, I was writing her a birthday check and had the 12th on my mind.

OK, so Valentines is on the 3rd night of our cruise. We will still be in the MDR that night. So I will dress CCC. ;)

For Jacques, I will wear my dressier pants and the gold sandals with a flower, which by the way, are only about 1.5" high. The others are 2". I am already tall, so do not like to be too tall. :o

Thanks all for the advice. I need to stop looking at the brochures. :eek:

usually dressy appearing black patent sandals - but only a one inch heel.

Sounds like my shoes.

Edited by Iamthesea

TRAVELCAT,, Agree with you completely.Did 71N on Insignia. Had not been on O in years. Surprised Ladies dressed in dark colors suitable for Winter grocery shopping. Rather depressing. Especially for a semi Tropical cruise. Very little whites. No bling, but just a few jeans seen.

TRAVELCAT,, Agree with you completely.Did 71N on Insignia. Had not been on O in years. Surprised Ladies dressed in dark colors suitable for Winter grocery shopping. Rather depressing. Especially for a semi Tropical cruise. Very little whites. No bling, but just a few jeans seen.

Wearing dark colours is slovenly :eek:

I never wear white no matter where I go

I agree Mura did not realize I was slovenly in my black or navy dress slacks & a nice top

TOO BAD for those sailing on any cruise with me ..I dress to please myself

I could care less what others think :rolleyes:

At the risk of using my teacher voice, can we please get back on point? The OP asked which specialty restaurant was the dressiest. That was answered.

We are all going to have our opinions as to what is appropriate dress, but whether we are wearing black in July, white in February or purple it doesn't really make an iota of difference. There is some sort of dress code for the dining rooms, and other than that, the Fashion Police is out of business!

Thank you again! :)

I have black slacks for all nights, mainly because I don't want to take more clothes than needed, but never wear white. It does not look good with my skin. I am bringing a Purple tunic, however. And I am currently reavaluated my tops to make sure most have color.:D

Wearing dark colours is slovenly :eek:

I never wear white no matter where I go

I agree Mura did not realize I was slovenly in my black or navy dress slacks & a nice top

TOO BAD for those sailing on any cruise with me ..I dress to please myself

I could care less what others think :rolleyes:

Well Lyn, does that mean you wont be taking those white bikini's with American Stars & Stripes with you this cruise. Oh that's right it was not you on one of our previous cruises but...... I will say no more but your DH will remember them. Could have been Insignia - Northern Lights cruise. lol so funny. My packing this trip will be easy. Just hope enough of my wardrobe fits at the start.

Well Lyn, does that mean you wont be taking those white bikini's with American Stars & Stripes with you this cruise. Oh that's right it was not you on one of our previous cruises but...... I will say no more but your DH will remember them. Could have been Insignia - Northern Lights cruise. lol so funny. My packing this trip will be easy. Just hope enough of my wardrobe fits at the start.

LOL

Still have the photo :eek:

I told you just bring an empty suitcase I know you will be shopping anyway :D

Based on two experiences in La Reserve aboard Riviera, I would say that this particular venue may be the 'dressiest' of them all. Most couples seem to truly put on the dog and enjoy the extended dining experience. Although, there was one gentleman in our second experience who definitely pushed the 'casual' dress code the point of total insousence...

JMBobB

We are not going to La Reserve. :(

All packed and decided that I was overthinking this and overpacking. I am not taking my fancy pants or fancy pairs of shoes! :D I've decided to be myself and be comfortable. Three pairs of nice slacks and a variety of nice jackets, sweaters, shells, tops and sandals for dinner. ;)

Thank you again for the advice!

Edited by Iamthesea