Kids Programs?

cruisead

Does Oceania have a kids program of any kind during Christmad sailings? My in laws were looking for a cruise during Christmas, but they have two kids, age 8 and 11. A co worker said they had their two young kids on Riviera this past Christmas and there was an organized program and in cabin sitting. I didn't think Oceania had any organized programs, much less in cabin sitting.

Another question: Where does Riviera dock in Key West? Do they use the far away dick area or the dock right in town?

Does Oceania have a kids program of any kind during Christmad sailings? My in laws were looking for a cruise during Christmas, but they have two kids, age 8 and 11. A co worker said they had their two young kids on Riviera this past Christmas and there was an organized program and in cabin sitting. I didn't think Oceania had any organized programs, much less in cabin sitting.

Another question: Where does Riviera dock in Key West? Do they use the far away dick area or the dock right in town?

On the Riviera for this past Christmas and New Year's cruise (over both holidays), there was indeed some sort of children's/teens program, although I'm not sure what ages or how well attended it was.

And we have no information about any sitting.

The area just in front of the fitness area (opposite side of the ship from "The Sanctuary" area) had a sign up about some sort of children's program.

One time, there seemed to be only adults there, but a few other times we passed by, there were some children doing <some sort of activity>.

It did not look like anything really special and much of the time the area seemed empty, even though it was marked off.

Perhaps Oceania can tell you more about how many children are needed for them to offer the program, and what it is they offer (including if there is any sitting).

One thing that was very nice is that although we saw some children around, especially during the New Year's Eve festivities, they weren't ever any sort of problem (quite the opposite of the previous year's holiday cruise on a mass market line, where the children were running wild).

Usually if there is a kids program Oceania calls it a family friendly cruise. For the most part Oceania passengers do not like kids so be forwarded.

I adore children.

I'd just rather not vacation with them.

Some people feel that way about folks wearing Yoga pants....

Why am I the ogre?

À chacun son goût

I sure hope not. Kids' programs bring kids and kids do not belong on Oceania.

Agree 100%. If we start seeing kids then we will look elsewhere. Love kids, but not on my vacation. :(:(:(

There are usually more children on the Christmas holiday cruises & they do advertise some Alaska cruise with the Children's programs

Unlikely to be 500 + like on the main stream lines

We have had a few children on some of our sailings but so far the ones we have seen are well travelled & well behaved ...one exception was a family that were part of the entertainment ..kids were running all over (probably bored )

I sure hope not. Kids' programs bring kids and kids do not belong on Oceania.

It depends on the kids and the cruise itinerary. I don't think the mere presence of children causes problems. Oceania doesn't seem to offer a children's program (at least as a rule) and doesn't seem to market towards passengers with kids, so it's unlikely that many kids would be on a given Oceania cruise.

It looks like I need to correct my above post. Alaska cruises offer a kids program. I just received an e-mail that includes the following.:

ALASKA EXPLORER YOUTH PROGRAM

For guests who travel with children ages 5 to 12, our Alaska Explorer Youth Program offers the opportunity for everyone to join in the excitement of exploration.

A word of warning to OP, which is probably not necessary at this point given previous posts. I am among those who would prefer NOT to see children on Oceania just because they don't have adequate programs for them. (The space just isn't there for the most part.) I've traveled on other lines that had excellent programs for children and I agree you should take your younger family members on those lines.

However, having said that -- while I have read a fair number of posts here where people were very upset about the behavior of some children on their cruises (usually during the summer or at the Xmas holidays), we personally have never seen obstreperous kiddies on our cruises. Then again, we've never been on a cruise that had very many children on board ... which may be part of the reason that they were quiet. (Then again, the parents in question may have trained their juniors well!)

Mura

Having kids on Oceania (or any of the luxury lines) is like Disney trying to sell am adults only cruise. It's just plain wrong!

I guess Frank thinks different since they market family cruise's. I really have trouble seeing what the obsession is to haveing a vacation on a floating senior center complete with arts and crafts.

This is an interesting thread because I just read a review on another site where a gentleman was WAYYYYY over the top upset with Oceania when they didn't cater to his two precious darlings on their holiday cruise. He claims he was never told that Oceania doesn't cater to kids, and the program they supposedly offered was not good enough for him. Plus, they didn't have night time babysitting for the 4 and 8 year olds. Sounds to me like this guy wanted to have his kids in program at least 14 hours a day, and the few hours they did have a program wasn't enough for him, so he's going back to Crystal. I have to laugh at that because Crystal, while having a program during certain times of the year, doesn't come close to other lines' kids programs.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that Riviera will be at the worst dock in Key West for our upcoming Riviera cruise. I guess I won't be getting off the ship because there's no accessible transportation from that dockyard to the main KW area. DARN !!!!!

I have to say that I'm disappointed that Riviera will be at the worst dock in Key West for our upcoming Riviera cruise. I guess I won't be getting off the ship because there's no accessible transportation from that dockyard to the main KW area. DARN !!!!!

Are you at Outer Mole??

They do have accesible transport some of the trollies have a fold down ramp for wheelchair/scooters

Having kids on Oceania (or any of the luxury lines) is like Disney trying to sell am adults only cruise. It's just plain wrong!

RSSC has a good kids program. Our son participated when he was 7 and 11 years-old. The orogram counsellors emphasized creativity, crafts, and games (not video games).

I'm not sure why it's wrong to have some kids on a luxury cruise. The pricing, many of the itineraries (and their lengths), and the school year itself means there are plenty of luxury cruises with little or no children on them.

I'm not sure why it's wrong to have some kids on a luxury cruise. The pricing, many of the itineraries (and their lengths), and the school year itself means there are plenty of luxury cruises with little or no children on them.

It wouldn't be wrong, if the people who brought that occasional child along could be depended upon to maintain a courteous atmosphere between that child and the rest of the passengers.

Sadly, we cannot count on sailing with that caliber of parent, therefore, with an investment often reaching into the tens of thousands of dollars at stake.....

Well, you get the picture ;)

Are you at Outer Mole??

They do have accesible transport some of the trollies have a fold down ramp for wheelchair/scooters

Oh, do they really? That's really good news !!!! The only trolley I've seen in KW didn't have the ramps. Thanks for the information. And yes, Riviera is going to be at the *****.

Oh, do they really? That's really good news !!!! The only trolley I've seen in KW didn't have the ramps. Thanks for the information. And yes, Riviera is going to be at the *****.

Not every one has the ramp but some that came to the port did we saw a person in a wheelchair get put onboard the bus

No kids program... not no way not no how....must be a mistake.and no cabin sitters.... never.

They can dock at either the town or Navy pier in Key West.

It wouldn't be wrong, if the people who brought that occasional child along could be depended upon to maintain a courteous atmosphere between that child and the rest of the passengers.

Sadly, we cannot count on sailing with that caliber of parent, therefore, with an investment often reaching into the tens of thousands of dollars at stake.....

Well, you get the picture ;)

Every cruise I have ever taken that kids on it was filled with problems that the kids caused... There is no such thing as a well behaved child.. kids are not adults.... kids are kids and lack the graces, wisdom and manners to be anything but children....

On Riveria in Jan the was a family that brought 3 kids between 10 and15.... They caused lots of problems..trashed their cabin, ran around...