Occupancy in staterooms

Iamthesea

Talking to my DH tonight about the number of people on the Riviera and Marina. Capacity is a little over 1200. Someone on a recent cruise posted that the ship had just over 1000 passengers. Made me wonder if staterooms on these ships have bunk beds? I realize that some do have sofa beds (what categories?), but do not remember hearing or seeing anything about bunks. If there are, what categories?

I've never heard of bunk beds on ANY of Oceania's ships! Yes, some have sofa beds that open up ... Some of the top suites (I'm thinking of an Oceania suite on Marina because some one did this) where a cot was set up in the media room for a teenage son. As large as the top suites are, especially MARINA and RIVIERA, it's not really feasible to bring in another person. (I'm not saying it is impossible, however.)

Some suites can hold 3, I doubt 4 ... never tried it myself!

Pretty much it's two people to a room but if you need to squeeze in another person in some suites you can.

We did have bunk beds on a low-end cabin on Princess to Alaska back in 1990, but I haven't seen that recently.

Mura

No, DH and I have no desire to share a stateroom with others. We were only curious. ;) It was something that we realized had not been discussed on the forum.

When talking about capacity on other cruiselines/ships, this includes those extra berths in many of the staterooms. i.e. If the Celebrity Reflection has an Occupancy of 3046 passengers, in reality, during most cruises, that number is diminished because not all 4 berth staterooms are filled.

So it just got us thinking why the recent sailing of the Riviera had a deduction in capacity. Was it that some staterooms were not filled, or that many of those extra "berths" in the staterooms contained only 1-2 passengers instead of 2-3? Do some staterooms have bunks?, etc. :)

Thank you for answering my question.

Edited by Iamthesea

There are actually a number of staterooms with fold away bunk-beds on the R ships, Mura, and a few of them are certified for four guests, total.

b_212133.jpg

Suits and/or Staterooms on the O ships hold only up to three persons, unless one petitions for a special dispensation via a cot or daybed, which they are not so quick to allow.

In any case, there is a key associated with the deck plans (in the brochures AND Online) which deciphers each cabins features. The following is an example of the key from an R ship Plan:

144540.jpg

i.e. If the Celebrity Reflection has an Occupancy of 3046 passengers, in reality, during most cruises, that number is diminished because not all 4 berth staterooms are filled.

There you go being literal, again :D

Cruise ship occupancy and capacity are not interchangeable terms.

If a ship sails with the number of passengers which would put 2 people in each cabin, she is said to be sailing at 100% occupancy, even if some of those cabins could have held 5 people.

If that same ship sails with 4 persons per cabin, they trumpet 200% Occupancy.

Thanks, Jim, for the info about the "R" ships. We've been sailing on these ships since 1999 and never knew they had this capacity!

Mura

(Now that I think of it when we were in a "Family Penthouse" suite on NCL's GEM in 2010 the second bedroom (clearly intended for children) had one bed plus a "pull down" set-up for bunk beds. But I didn't realize that the "R" ships had the same capacility in some cases.)

Edited by Mura

I've never heard of bunk beds on ANY of Oceania's ships! Yes, some have sofa beds that open up ... Some of the top suites (I'm thinking of an Oceania suite on Marina because some one did this) where a cot was set up in the media room for a teenage son. As large as the top suites are, especially MARINA and RIVIERA, it's not really feasible to bring in another person. (I'm not saying it is impossible, however.)

Some suites can hold 3, I doubt 4 ... never tried it myself!

Pretty much it's two people to a room but if you need to squeeze in another person in some suites you can.

We did have bunk beds on a low-end cabin on Princess to Alaska back in 1990, but I haven't seen that recently.

Mura

For the most part, all the cabins except for vista and owners suites..are designed for 2 persons. The limits for a cabins utilization and comfort really lie in the size and number of bathrooms. In theory you could stuff lots of people into a confined space. Whether they would enjoy it or be comfortable in it is another matter. Unless you have 2 baths the single bath cabin really is only going to work for 2 people

Then comes the gross of humanity wandering the decks. On the Mega monsters of Princess, Celebrity , Carnival and Royal Caribbean and now Holland soon to cross the 3000 line saturated all available and desirable. Too many rats in the box for comfort.

We cruised for 25 days sharing our balcony cabin with our 31 year old daughter. It was wonderful, and we had no problems at all. We see her rarely as she lives in Africa so we treasured this time with her. Would do again in a heartbeat.

Mo

Edited by potterhill