Do Oceania hold Cruise Critic Meet&Mingle Meetings?

Lottie A

On my first Oceania cruise on Insignia in 2014, someone arranged one in the library, and on our upcoming one in May someone is also arranging one. If you check in on your roll call, there may be some information. But these were not organized by Oceania, instead by individuals.

What Cotto said, above. Meet and Greets are organized by cruisers, generally someone on the roll call. It is very useful and fun to be a part of the roll call. If you have not yet checked that out, you should.

Happy sailing.

Donna

I have arranged a number of these on various cruises (some for more than 100 people) and while Oceania doesn't set them up they have assisted me in doing so. They let me know where and when, and send out invitations to the participants notifying them of the where and when. They have been cash bars but occasionally Oceania provided peanuts and the like for nibbles.

Mura

I have arranged a number of these on various cruises (some for more than 100 people) and while Oceania doesn't set them up they have assisted me in doing so. They let me know where and when, and send out invitations to the participants notifying them of the where and when. They have been cash bars but occasionally Oceania provided peanuts and the like for nibbles.

Mura

I have the same experience as Mura

Last cruise we had over a 100 people on the M & G :eek:

My next cruise no one has mentioned a M & G

Just wondering if they have these meetings as Azamara do?

Many thanks.

It is up to the individuals to organize something..... Most times there is nothing even with a "roll call"... Its a different crowd. More self sufficient and low key not needing to be with a group.

It is up to the individuals to organize something..... Most times there is nothing even with a "roll call"... Its a different crowd. More self sufficient and low key not needing to be with a group.

Does enjoying meeting up with people one has "known" from CC mean that you are not self sufficient or need to be with a group? That is certainly not us as we are very independent travellers indeed, but it makes economic sense to arrange and share private tours with others on your cruise. We will also get the local bus I expect....do that quite often.

I certainly don't see Oceania pax as a "different crowd" at all.

Mura and LHT28 ....like you both, I will have no problem in organising an informal meeting if there are enough pax with an interest.

The less Oceania involvement the better IMO because I have found that the officers are very discouraging and frustrating to deal with regarding these gatherings, very uncooperative, because they are very booked up/busy with ship-sponsored events in the larger shipboard venues which can host them.

Be firm and persevere, and perhaps they even will bring out the CC sign which has been placed out for these events for the past several years on Riviera.

I bring the lists and name tags, and we always enjoy this informal gathering.

Edited by CintiPam

My groups have always had a sign indicating CC or "private group" or something of the sort. It wasn't a matter of luck. (If you have a particularly small group I agree they might not bother.)

Mura

The less Oceania involvement the better IMO because I have found that the officers are very discouraging and frustrating to deal with regarding these gatherings, very uncooperative, because they are very booked up/busy with ship-sponsored events in the larger shipboard venues which can host them.

Be firm and persevere, and perhaps they even will bring out the CC sign which has been placed out for these events for the past several years on Riviera.

I bring the lists and name tags, and we always enjoy this informal gathering.

In scheduling more than 20 M&G parties, I have never, ever had a problem with officers, staff, etc. In fact, there is always a sign "Cruise Critic" or "Private Party" if on the Marina or on the R ships. The bar manager is always there, and sometimes officers, concierge, cruise director, or whoever wants to come. On many occasions I have had invitations printed and distributed to the CC people. I have never had to "persevere or be firm" to get a gathering. The crew seems more than happy to do this. And of course, if it is at cocktail time, they do a good business with drinks.

The last M&G was this past December and we had about 100 CCer's there. Name tags were supplied and we had great fun.

My next one is coming up the beginning of March and in June there will be another one, with Mura joining in on the festivities!!

Arlene;)

In scheduling more than 20 M&G parties, I have never, ever had a problem with officers, staff, etc. In fact, there is always a sign "Cruise Critic" or "Private Party" if on the Marina or on the R ships. The bar manager is always there, and sometimes officers, concierge, cruise director, or whoever wants to come. On many occasions I have had invitations printed and distributed to the CC people. I have never had to "persevere or be firm" to get a gathering. The crew seems more than happy to do this. And of course, if it is at cocktail time, they do a good business with drinks.

The last M&G was this past December and we had about 100 CCer's there. Name tags were supplied and we had great fun.

My next one is coming up the beginning of March and in June there will be another one, with Mura joining in on the festivities!!

Arlene;)

Arlene is one of those rare best in class M&G and private tour organizers :D

Most of the time I just see the concierge once I get onboard but last cruise Arlene was kind enough to send our list to her contact

we had over a 100 on the list my largest M & G ;)

Usually I have had less than 80 but with more repeat cruisers they seem to get more attention

Arlene;)

I am very glad that it has gone well for you, but I do not have any private contacts at Oceania as LHT (Lyn) suggested you do, and have had several disappointing interactions with the Concierge on several cruises where I have had the responsibility to set the parties up. Of course, it is natural to remember the difficulties rather than the easy experiences over the years.

I have another one scheduled for this Friday on Riviera and hope for the best! If you would contact me to share your contact, I would be more than happy to use it.

Thanks.

I'm sure that this is going to outrage the Ladies who Lunch, or in this case more precisely "the Ladies who Meet and Greet", but if you're going to use the services of the Social Staff to any significant extent, a tip is eventually going to be in order.

Maybe not ***** EVERY occasion, but often enough that they know that their services are appreciated.

Go ahead, flame me.

I'm sure that this is going to outrage the Ladies who Lunch, or in this case more precisely "the Ladies who Meet and Greet", but if you're going to use the services of the Social Staff to any significant extent, a tip is eventually going to be in order.

Maybe not ***** EVERY occasion, but often enough that they know that their services are appreciated.

Go ahead, flame me.

I do believe the staff sets up because it is part of doing business with so many Cruise Critic people and in all my M&Gs, it has been done with the utmost professionalism on the part of the staff and no one has looked for a TIP. I think if we did that, the bar manager would be insulted. Just my opinion, as you have yours. Arlene

Arlene;)

We have had the same fabulous experience as Arlene. Our m& gs always involve the participation of staff and sometimes officers.

The one arranged in 2014 for the 'Path of the Midnight Sun' cruise on Nautica was over 100 CC folks. I met with the Concierge after embarkation and he and the CD actually rearranged an activity to make room for us. He also distributed the invites I had printed. For the M&G, they had set up a sign in Horizons for us and bot the CD and GM came and spoke to the group. That was unexpected but quite wonderful.

As Arlene and others have said, the whole experience was easy and the O folks quite nice and helpful. It does help to do your homework and have as much things done and ready (i.e. invites, etc.) as that makes it easier for them to help.

Charlotte

Go ahead, flame me.

Our M&G's have always included men. :D

And no tipping other than the bartenders when ordering our own drinks.

Edited by Iamthesea

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean by "to any significant extent". I have to admit that I never thought of tipping the Concierge for suggesting the time and place (so far it's always been Horizons at cocktail hour) or passing on the list of participants to the people who prepare the invitations.

And does the Concierge expect to be tipped for assisting passengers? That's a sincere question! It never occurred to me that the Concierge is one who typically is tipped. Now, if I were arranging a cocktail party in my suite that certainly would be a "tippable" event.

Mura

Currently on the Marina and enjoyed our first MG.

The General Manager of the ship welcomed us and they provided a staff member to assist with drinks and nibbles.

Just shows the other end of the spectrum and I guess the answer to the OP is that it varies