Cell phone and wi-if

ROYALBOY

On our next 3 Celebrity cruises we will have wi-if... first time actually. Question is, will it still be necessary to have an AT&T cruise phone plan, or can you make and receive calls while connected to the wi-if without additional costs? Thanks[emoji338][emoji338][emoji338]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our next 3 Celebrity cruises we will have wi-if... first time actually. Question is, will it still be necessary to have an AT&T cruise phone plan, or can you make and receive calls while connected to the wi-if without additional costs? Thanks[emoji338][emoji338][emoji338]

I have Verizon for mobile service. I have international calling. With the improved wi-if when I call home I have been using Skype. Other friends have used face time from the cruise ship. So you should not need cruise phone plan.

I have android phone and tablet on Verizon and use a free app called Hangouts to make calls over WIFI without needing a separate international calling plan. Just make sure you're not using your roaming and are hooked to WIFI.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I have ATT mobile data share plan and an iPhone 6 Plus. On our cruise this past May in Europe, we used the Connie Wifi and did Wifi calling. I used it at every Wifi location (hotel, etc) while in Europe. I had to activate it on my phone. We made many Wifi calls over the Connie Internet and there was no cost to us. We had data, messaging, voice, etc - no cost. It was all covered under our plan. We had unlimited internet on Connie so we had cell phone service at all times on the ship. Having said all this, couple of things you have to do. First, make sure your cell plan covers Wifi calling. Second, activate it on your phone if necessary. On my iPhone, I had to turn it on. Third, turn your phone to Airplane mode then turn on Wifi only. Finally, on my phone, I get an indication on the display where it shows my signal strength that says ATT Wifi. We were pleasantly surprised. It really came in handy as we had a big issue at our house while we were staying in Rome. I was able to handle the problem and get it resolved by making a number of calls. My cost - $0. All covered under my plan. So hope this helps. We do carry another phone for use while off the ship that has an international SIM card.

If you have an iPhone 6, 6s or 7 with Verizon use the WiFi calling feature. Just book an internet package on the ship. Then turn on wi-fi calling on your phone in Settings. Leave the phone in airplane mode but turn on the WiFi. You will be able to call and text without charges from Verizon. You do not need to pay for the international calling plan unless you want to use cellular service on shore.

While at sea, you will use the ship's network to make a call. If you have the ship's free (or paid) wifi, you will not be charged by your phone carrier. Just make sure that your phone is in airplane mode.

Confirm also the terms of AT&T's Cruise Ship Package to avoid extra expenses.

If you have an iPhone 6, 6s or 7 with Verizon use the WiFi calling feature. Just book an internet package on the ship. Then turn on wi-fi calling on your phone in Settings. Leave the phone in airplane mode but turn on the WiFi. You will be able to call and text without charges from Verizon. You do not need to pay for the international calling plan unless you want to use cellular service on shore.

Could someone tell me how to find WiFi Calling on my Verizon iPhone 6s? I will actually be upgrading after Christmas to the 7. :)

And do you have to have International calling on your phone plan?

How is the signal when calling from the ship? Does it use a lot of your Internet minutes up?

Will this also work on land with an Internet connection in cafe's, etc.?

Could someone tell me how to find WiFi Calling on my Verizon iPhone 6s? I will actually be upgrading after Christmas to the 7. :)

Settings->Phone-> Wi-fi calling

Or go to Settings, pull down from middle of screen (not top for drawer/shade) for the search box, and type in calling. Search will bring it up.

Edited by travelpeon

I do have a Verizon International Plan but really have not used it. I have it in case I need to use cellular service on shore. However- we have been able to find free internet in every port and the WiFi calling has worked great there as well as on the ship.

I have Verizon and wifi calling works okay from the ship (Eclipse) we are on right now. No need for special apps

Calls are part of your domestic U.S. plan...no special charges for internet calling. However with Verizon you cannot text over wifi...so have asked family and friends to email or call.

Minor correction: Verizon does not offer wi-fi calling on the iPhone 6. Only the 6S series and 7.

And do you have to have International calling on your phone plan?

How is the signal when calling from the ship? Does it use a lot of your Internet minutes up?

Will this also work on land with an Internet connection in cafe's, etc.?

Go to: Settings>Phone>Wi-Fi Calling>(toggle) On

No, you do not need International calling. If cellular is unavailable, the iPhone will use the wi-fi network to make a call. Therefore: put your phone in Airplane Mode to turn cellular off, then turn on Wifi and sign in to the ship's internet. You will use up wi-fi minutes starting when you connect until you turn off wi-fi again.

It works with essentially all wi-fi connections -- there are certain countries where it is not permitted. But be sure to check with your cellular vendor to be sure they allow it in the countries you are visiting.

You can also receive or make a video call via FaceTime or send and receive messages via iMessage. The other party will need to have an iPhone, of course. iPhones use wi-fi, not the cellular network, to send and receive iMessages and FaceTime calls.

Edited by rwb

I have Verizon and wifi calling works okay from the ship (Eclipse) we are on right now. No need for special apps

Calls are part of your domestic U.S. plan...no special charges for internet calling. However with Verizon you cannot text over wifi...so have asked family and friends to email or call.

I use Message+ over wifi on my Galaxy 6 edge every time I travel overseas for work. I am also on Verizon. It should work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

As mentioned, use your iMessage app to text. Not your normal texting application. I do that with my iPad when on the ship. Much faster than email and does not use the minutes up like with email.

Go to: Settings>Phone>Wi-Fi Calling>(toggle) On

No, you do not need International calling. If cellular is unavailable, the iPhone will use the wi-fi network to make a call. Therefore: put your phone in Airplane Mode to turn cellular off, then turn on Wifi and sign in to the ship's internet. You will use up wi-fi minutes starting when you connect until you turn off wi-fi again.

It works with essentially all wi-fi connections -- there are certain countries where it is not permitted. But be sure to check with your cellular vendor to be sure they allow it in the countries you are visiting.

You can also receive or make a video call via FaceTime or send and receive messages via iMessage. The other party will need to have an iPhone, of course. iPhones use wi-fi, not the cellular network, to send and receive iMessages and FaceTime calls.

Thank you for the additional information. :) Do we need to Sign Off of our Internet package like we do if using the iPad, or just turn off the WiFi on our cell?

I have Verizon and have been texting over WiFi during my entire current cruise with no issues at all.

As mentioned, use your iMessage app to text. Not your normal texting application. I do that with my iPad when on the ship. Much faster than email and does not use the minutes up like with email.

Thank you for the additional information. :) Do we need to Sign Off of our Internet package like we do if using the iPad, or just turn off the WiFi on our cell?

Yes, you need to sign off wi-fi if you have a limited-minutes package. Or if you are switching from one device to another on a one-device wi-fi package.

Note that iMessage requires the receiving party to have an iPhone. Sending a message to a non-iPhone uses SMS, over a cellular data link. Sending a message to an iPhone uses wi-fi when available. (SMS messages are green on an iPhone, iMessages are blue.)

FaceTime calls also take place over wi-fi. If you have an unlimited internet package, anyone with an iPhone can call you using FaceTime.

Finally, you can iMessage or FaceTme with either an iPad or an iPhone. Whichever one is connected to the wi-fi network at the time.

I have Verizon and have been texting over WiFi during my entire current cruise with no issues at all.

Messaging is different than texting, I have two iPhones, one att and vzw but both phones work the same...if the messages are going to other iPhones (blue) they go via imessenger data and only requires wifi, if they are going to non iPhones (green) and they to via text and requires cell service

My son recently switched from an iPhone to a Samsung. He also switched to a cheap cell phone provider. Because of this when we text on land the text messages either don't get to him or don't get to us in a timely fashion. We have started to use Facebook messenger to communicate. It works instantly like a text should. This could be a solution for those who are communicating between iPhones and Androids. Of course both parties need a Facebook account. There is probably some other app out there that will do the same thing as Facebook messenger that both parties can download.

Minor correction: Verizon does not offer wi-fi calling on the iPhone 6. Only the 6S series and 7.

Not sure if this is "standard" for the iPhone 6 configuration with Verizon or not. But, I have an iPhone 6 (not 6s) and have had wifi calling for several months. I enabled the advanced calling feature with Verizon 12+ months ago, which allowed me to do VOLTE or voice of over LTE. When wifi calling was available, I simply installed iOS 9 at that time and it allowed me to select wifi calling.