Beverages and Beverage Packages FAQ

ailetoile

After seeing the many different threads that are constantly popping up asking the same questions and seeking the same information about drinks and drinking on Celebrity, I thought that it might be helpful to try to gather all of the most up-to-date information in one place where it's laid out in a way that's somewhat easy to read. There's no particular reason that I'm doing this aside from a love of writing FAQs and a desire to contribute positively to the community, so I hope that you enjoy and with luck have any and all of your questions answered.

I've also attached this information to the post in the form of a PDF, just in case there's someone out there who would like to keep it. This is by no means comprehensive. If you see something that I've missed feel free to comment and I'm happy to add it to the PDF and re-upload. For what it's worth, though, this is way more in-depth than the FAQs available on Celebrity's website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Before You Cruise

Can I bring non-alcoholic beverages aboard with me?

Yes. You may bring unlimited non-alcoholic beverages aboard with you. This includes cases of water, soft drinks, juices, non-alcoholic mixers, etc.

Can I bring alcoholic beverages aboard with me?

Yes, but it is restricted. You may bring up to two standard-sized (750 ml) bottles of wine per stateroom on board at embarkation. Other alcoholic beverages (beer or spirits) that is brought on board at embarkation will be confiscated and will not be returned.

If you purchase alcohol on board the ship or at a port of call, it will be temporarily confiscated and returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

Is there a corkage fee for wine I have brought aboard?

It depends where you drink it. Wine that is brought on board can be enjoyed in your stateroom. You may also pour your own wine in your stateroom and then transport it to other venues on the ship such as the Main Dining Room.

If you choose to bring your bottle to a bar, to the Main Dining Room, or to a specialty restaurant so that it can be poured for you, there is a $25 corkage fee per bottle.

Can I purchase alcohol directly from Celebrity before my trip?

Yes! There are two ways that you can choose from to purchase alcoholic beverages directly from Celebrity before your trip:

1. You can purchase wine and other alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages (among other things) through the Celebrity Gifts page. These gifts can be purchased for yourself or for others, and can be delivered either to the stateroom or directly to the dining room. The advantage of purchasing alcohol in advance is twofold:
    • There is no $25 corkage fee for any alcohol purchased through this program.
    • There is no 18% gratuity for beverages purchased through this program since they were purchased in advance.

[*]You can purchase a Classic or Premium stateroom bar setup. The only difference between the Classic and the Premium is the quality of the liquor you can choose from. In both cases you will receive one bottle of liquor, along with six cans of your choice of mixer. You will pay an 18% gratuity on top of the purchase price of the stateroom bar setup.

Is there a corkage fee for wine that was gifted to me by a friend, family member, or my Travel Agent?

It depends. If the wine was purchased through Celebrity Gifts, then there will not be a corkage fee. If it was purchased independently, then it is subject to a corkage fee.

Is there an advantage to purchasing (or upgrading) a drink package prior to boarding?

There is no difference in price between beverage packages that are purchased prior to boarding vs. those that are purchased on the ship. There are two primary differences between packages purchased prior to cruising and those purchased while on board:

1. Beverage packages purchased prior to cruising will be charged to a credit card. If you wait until you are on the ship, however, the purchase will be charged to your room and can be partly or fully covered by any onboard credit that you may have.
  2. When you receive your Sea Pass (room key), you will see printed information about your beverage package already on the key if it was purchased beforehand. If you purchase once you're on board, a sticker will be affixed to your Sea Pass. Some CC members have reported that they are able to visit Guest Services to have their Sea Pass reprinted with the appropriate information and no sticker, while others have reported that they were unable to get rid of the sticker.

What is the minimum drinking age on a Celebrity cruise?

If your original departure port is from North America, the minimum drinking age is 21.

If your original departure port is from any other continent, the minimum drinking age is 18.

Note that if you have a birthday while on the cruise that will put you over the legal drinking age, you may get a new Sea Pass issued at Guest Services as long as you provide a government-issued ID such as a driver's license.

A La Carte Drinking

Does Celebrity offer any complimentary beverages?

Yes. Celebrity offers a welcome aboard toast when you initially board the ship. You can choose juice, mimosa, or champagne. There are also limited free drinks at the Captain's Toast just before the evening theater show on the first formal night. These events are open to everybody.

On an everyday basis, there are complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, non-bottled water, and juice. All of these beverages may not be available in all dining locations, but you should be able to request them.

A few notes about these beverages:

• The complimentary coffee is Lavazza. It is available around the clock from room service and in the buffet in both regular and decaf. You can also get this coffee from the Main Dining Room and specialty restaurants during meals.
  • The complimentary tea comes in several varieties, including both caffeinated and decaf. You can find the teabags in the buffet, and you can request them in the other dining venues. It is harder to get a specific choice of tea from room service without calling in your order. The water that you use to make your tea will be hot, but not boiling.
  • The complimentary juice can be found in the buffet and poolside grill at the drink dispensers. There is generally orange juice, apple juice, iced tea, lemonade, and sometimes fruit punch available. Some of these juices are available via room service.
  • There have been some reports that the hot chocolate packets in the buffet are hit and miss in their availability.

Finally, in addition to the complimentary beverages that are available to all passengers there are generally events and coupons that are opened up to some or all members of the Captain's Club, Celebrity's loyalty program. Many of these events feature free beverages, particularly as you climb higher in the loyalty program's membership tiers.

Do some stateroom classes receive additional complimentary beverages?

Yes. Here is a breakdown of the additional beverage perks for some stateroom classes:

• Concierge Class: Receive a bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation. This can often be exchanged for a different wine within the same price range by asking your room steward, and can be enjoyed in the Main Dining Room without paying a corkage fee.
  • Aqua Class: In addition to the sparkling wine that Concierge Class receives, Aqua Class passengers are entitled to complimentary bottled water delivered to their staterooms by their attendant.
  • Suites: The new suite perks use beverages as an incentive. The complimentary beverages for suite passengers can range from complimentary in-suite espresso and cappuccino from Café al Bacio (Sky Suite) to a complimentary Premium beverage package and bar setup in the stateroom (Royal Suite and above). Suite guests who have access to Michael's Club can also enjoy their drinks for free in that venue.

Can I buy beverages on board even if I don't have a beverage package?

Yes! You can choose to pay as you go. Your drinks will be charged at the advertised menu price plus an 18% gratuity that will be automatically included when you sign for your purchase.

If your sailing is out of England or Australia, the price of the 18% gratuity should already be factored into the menu price that you see for your drink.

Can I bring a drink such as a glass of wine or a cocktail into the Main Dining Room or Blu?

Yes. You can walk into the Celebrity dining venues with a pre-poured drink from a bar on board or from your stateroom.

What brands of bottled water are available on board?

Per the Celebrity website, the following brands of bottled water should be available on board: Evian®, San Pellegrino®, Perrier®, and Acqua Panna® Natural Spring Water.

What brands of soda are available on board?

Per the Celebrity website, the following brands of soft drink should be available on board: Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Seagram's Tonic Water, Canada Dry club soda, Barq's Root Beer, and Fanta.

Can I pay cash for my drinks?

No. All drinks will be charged to your Sea Pass in US dollars. You will receive an itemized bill at the end of your cruise, which will be charged to the credit card on file once any onboard credit that you may have has been applied.

Am I supposed to tip for my drinks?

Tipping is a personal and very contentious issue, so please note that this answer is purely factual. Keep in mind that the cost of your drink does include an automatic 18% gratuity.

If you feel that you would like to tip on top of that, you may do so by adding an additional tip at the bottom of the receipt that you must sign (don't worry, there's a line for additional tips). You may also choose to give tips in cash.

Where can I find the most updated prices for beverages?

Prices on Celebrity are subject to change, and they do so somewhat regularly. There are several very kind individuals who routinely upload copies of the various Celebrity menus to the Internet. For example, if you would like to get an idea of the prices on board, you may wish to look through the most recent Celebrity cruise reviews by the wonderful Preisman family here.

Can I ask for bartenders to mix me a drink that is not on the menu?

There's never any harm in asking, and often if the ingredients are available and you have been polite and friendly the answer will be yes. This can be especially fun in the Molecular Bar and the Martini Bar, where drinks that were formerly on the menu have been cycled off and where the bartenders can very likely put together an off-menu drink that could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Can I get any drink I want at any bar on board?

Different bars and restaurants on board will have different availability of beer, wines by the bottle and by the glass, and spirits. You will need to inquire about whether your preferred drink can be found at a given bar if it is not listed on the menu.

In some cases, such as if you prefer a particular type of wine in the Main Dining Room, you may find that the bartender or server is able to accommodate your request either after a short wait or in the following days. In other cases, you may need to familiarize yourself with where your preferred drinks are available and acquire them on your own.

Beverage Packages

What are the different beverage packages that I can choose from?

Celebrity has unveiled a variety of package options which can become confusing to those who have not cruised before. Here is a brief breakdown of what each package entails, along with the price in USD of each package pre- and post-18% gratuity:

• Soda Package ($8.00 / $9.44 per night): Unlimited soda in cans and from the fountain. This package does not include bottled water or any other non-alcoholic beverages.
  • Premium Bottled Water Package ($14.00 / $16.52 per night): Unlimited bottled water of any variety on the ship. This package does not include any other beverages.
  • Classic Non-Alcoholic Package ($16.00 / $18.88 per night): Unlimited espresso-based coffees and Tea Forte from Café al Bacio, soda in cans and from the fountain, fresh-frozen or bottled juices, basic bottled water (no sparkling options), and Arizona Iced Tea.
  • Premium Non-Alcoholic Package ($20.00 / $23.60 per night): Unlimited Café al Bacio menu items, soda in cans and from the fountain, fresh-frozen or bottled juices, any bottled water (includes sparkling), Vitamin Water, Red Bull, and Arizona Iced Tea.
  • Classic Package ($49.00 / $57.82 per night): Unlimited items from the Classic Non-Alcoholic Package, as well as "beers up to $6.00 / $7.08 per serving, spirits and mixed/frozen drinks up to $8.00 / $9.44 per serving, and wines by the glass up to $9 / $10.62 per serving." You will also receive a 15% discount on any bottles of wine that you purchase.
  • Premium Package ($59.00 / $69.62 per night): Unlimited items from the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package, as well as alcoholic beverages up to $13.00 / $15.34 per serving. With this package, you may pay the DIFFERENCE if you purchase a beverage above the $13 limit, and you will also receive a 20% discount on any bottles of wine that you purchase.

Note that if your sailing originates in England or Australia your alcoholic beverage packages will cover the second price listed, as all posted prices aboard these sailings include the 18% gratuity. The prices and availability of alcoholic beverages are subject to change, but Celebrity has posted a PDF that offers some name brands of different liquors that should be available under the Classic and Premium Package.

Celebrity also offers three wine packages geared specifically towards wine lovers who prefer to buy by the bottle:

• Classic Wine Package ($109.00 / $128.62 and up per package): Select three, five, or seven bottles of wine (posted price is for three) from a restricted list of wines from a similar price range.
  • Premium Wine Package ($149.00 / $175.82 and up per package): Select three, five, or seven bottles of wine (posted price is for three) from a somewhat expanded list of wines from a similar price range.
  • Build Your Own Wine Package: When you commit to purchasing a minimum of three bottles of wine priced at $75 and above, you will receive a 15% discount along with up to two $10 coupons towards the Riedel Comparative Wine Glass Workshop (costs extra). This discount only applies to bottles of wine priced above $75 and does not apply to wines purchased by the glass or any other beverages on board. The price on the website ($191.25 USD) is simply the same as three $75 bottles of wine ($225) minus the 15% discount ($33.75). This package must be purchased on board.

Is there a limit to the number of drinks I can have per day with these packages?

If you select the Classic Wine Package or the Premium Wine Package, then your package is only good for the three, five, or seven bottles of wine for which you paid. If you select the Build Your Own Wine Package, then the 15% discount only applies to wines with a purchase price of $75 or more when they are purchased by the bottle.

For all other beverage packages, there are no limits to how much you can drink per day or over the course of your cruise within the package's stated inclusions.

How can I buy a beverage package?

Before you board

If you have booked directly through Celebrity, you can add a beverage package to your reservation either online or by calling Celebrity directly. If you booked through a travel agent, you may need to reserve your beverage package through them. If you would like to pre-purchase a beverage package, you must do so at least four days prior to your sailing. Note that you cannot pre-purchase the Build Your Own Wine Package.

On the ship

You can purchase a beverage package (non-alcoholic or alcoholic) by visiting any bar aboard the ship, by visiting one of the promotional tables that are set up on embarkation day, or by telling your server in any restaurant that you would like to add a package.

What are the advantages of having a beverage package?

Some of the most commonly-cited advantages to beverage packages go above and beyond the prospect of saving money. In fact, there are some cruisers who take advantage of beverage packages even though they know that they won't break even at the end of each day. Here are a few of the other potential advantages that have been suggested:

• No "surprise" bill at the end of the cruise.
  • No need to worry about paying for a drink and not liking it / the feeling that it's okay to try something new.
  • No need to consider whether each drink is something that the individual is willing to pay for a la carte (perceived value of drinks vs cost becomes less important).
  • No need to sign receipts/chits for each drink (unless you are making a purchase outside of the limits of your beverage package, some users have reported that they still receive receipts to sign regardless of their package).

There are, of course, other reasons that are not listed here that some may find advantageous. There are also those who feel that a beverage package can never be worth the cost, so do not discount the possibility that a la carte purchases are right for you.

If I choose a certain package, does everyone in my stateroom need to have a package? Do they all need to choose the same package?

It is possible for one individual staying in a stateroom to have a beverage package while another does not. Individuals staying in the same stateroom can have two different beverage packages.

How will I know which package is the right fit for me?

You will find that there are many different opinions on the message boards, but the truth is that no one but you can an answer that question because everyone's budget, preferences, and drinking habits are different.

With that being said, however, a popular and prosaic tip is to wait until you are on board to purchase your beverage package or to upgrade to a higher tier if you just aren't sure.

How will I know if something is covered under my specific beverage package? In other words, is [insert the drink I prefer above all others] covered?

The prices and availability are subject to change, so there is no guarantee that the specific drink that you are looking for will be covered by your drink package or available at all. With that being said, Celebrity's staff is generally very good about accommodating drink packages while still doing their best to give you what you want.

Those with the Classic Package should still be able to select from a few choices of beers and red and white wines. They can also enjoy most frozen drinks and cocktails, but they will be made with the "house" brand of liquor. The Classic Package also generally (but not always since this seems to be at the discretion of the bar tender) covers a limited selection of small martinis from the Martini Bar that are made with "house" liquor. It does not cover any drinks at all from the Molecular Bar (where available).

Beverages for customers with the Premium Package will generally be made with more expensive liquor. Most full-sized menu items from the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar are covered under this package.

What if I want to purchase something that is not covered by my beverage package, or that costs more than its stated price limit?

You may purchase anything that you would like to drink, even if it is not covered by your beverage package. In this case, you generally will pay the full menu price (plus 18% gratuity). There are a few exceptions to this:

• The Classic Package will get you 15% off of bottles of wine.
  • The Premium Package will get you 20% off of bottles of wine. For drinks purchased by the glass, you will pay only the difference between the menu price and the package's maximum threshold, plus 18% gratuity (if applicable on your sailing). For example, to purchase a $15 glass of wine you will be charged $2.36 ($2.00 + 18%).

Do I have to pay gratuities for each drink even with a beverage package?

Not if the drink is covered by your package. The purchase price of beverage packages includes an 18% gratuity that is distributed among the staff in lieu of a la carte gratuities.

Where is my beverage package valid?

You can use your beverage package in most of the ship's public venues, as well as on any private destinations such as Labadee.

You cannot use your beverage package for room service or for the mini bar in your stateroom. The beverage package does not apply to purchases made in the gift shop.

Are souvenir cups covered by any beverage packages?

No. Souvenir cups are not covered by any beverage packages.

Are drinking events such as wine tastings covered or offset by any beverage package?

No. These events are the same price regardless of whether you have a beverage package.

Does the Premium Beverage Package subsidize the martini flight from the Martini Bar or other similar multi-drink beverages?

There are mixed reports of whether the martini flight from the Martini Bar is offset by the Premium Beverage Package. It seems that this may be up to the bartender's discretion, but you should assume that it will not be covered.

Bev Package FAQ.pdf

Edited by ailetoile

Thanks and you even answered my question....

Not if the drink is covered by your package. The purchase price of beverage packages includes an 18% gratuity that is distributed among the staff in lieu of a la carte gratuities.

Thanks and you even answered my question....

I'm glad I could help :D

Very helpful. Thanks so much. Can we upgrade from the classic package to premium on board?

You sure can! The cost is $10.00 / $11.80 per night. You can upgrade any time until the last two days of your trip and it'll be prorated for the time you have left.

I think I'll add this and a few more upgrade faqs to the pdf when I get to my computer for the day. Thanks for the question!

While this is a nice thought, and your efforts are appreciated - what happens when the information changes?

Providing JUST a link to the FAQ might be more accurate. This way, when there is a change, you don't have to be concerned about having provided incorrect information in our original post.

While this is a nice thought, and your efforts are appreciated - what happens when the information changes?

Providing JUST a link to the FAQ might be more accurate. This way, when there is a change, you don't have to be concerned about having provided incorrect information in our original post.

Hopefully any future reader will realize this information is accurate as of the date of the post, as any bit of information is subject to change. Perhaps on the PDF version indicate a date in the footer of each page noting "Information has not been prepared by Celebrity Cruises, and is deemed accurate, but not guaranteed as of {Date}" - this is what my realtor did on some info sheets on my house :D the OP did note in a few places that places are subject to change, and do change somewhat frequently.

I think OP did a good job of noting those particular items that change frequently, and linking to outside sources that should be maintained by X directly.

ON the link to the Celebrity FAQ about packages and drinks, their FAQ still has gratuities at 15%, thought the language provides for changes

SO even linking to external documents isn't keeping current LOL.

Maybe OP can modify and put a parenthetical or a * footnote as appropriate throughout the document before those external links that the gratuity was raised to 18% effective Feb 1, 2015.

I've added the following questions/answers to the PDF:

Can I upgrade my beverage package once I’ve selected one?

Yes. You can always upgrade your beverage package to a more expensive one. This can be done either before you board (if you have already pre-purchased a beverage package or if you have received one as part of a promotion), or on board the ship in the same venues where you can purchase a beverage package.

When you upgrade, you will pay the difference between the prices of the two packages for the remainder of your cruise, plus the 18% gratuity. For example, if you upgrade from the Classic Package to the Premium Package the cost will be $10.00 / $11.80 per night remaining in your cruise.

How long do I have to decide to upgrade my beverage package?

You can upgrade your beverage package at any time until you have two nights left in your cruise. At the time of your upgrade, you will pay a prorated price based on the number of nights that you have left.

Can I cancel a beverage package if I feel that it’s not working for me?

You can cancel the order of a beverage package prior to the cruise, but you cannot opt out of the package once you board the ship.

For those who are concerned, I'm actually pretty okay with keeping it updated as long as I'm aware of any changes :) I write FAQs for a living so I'm used to that commitment. I wouldn't mind if this was a sticky, but I'd be happier if the sticky were either something that could be edited for updates as things change or a simple link to a document that could be updated.

In the interest of clarity for now as I'm still working on the document, I've also added the following footer to each page of the PDF:

This information is accurate as of February 2015. All prices, packages, rules, and restrictions are subject to change.

Bev Package FAQ.pdf

Edited by ailetoile

Can a person aged 20 purchase a classic alcohol package if leaving from the port of Vancouver in Canada and cruising to Alaska (America)???

No. The legal drinking age on cruises originating out of North America is 21. Canada (while awesome, I'm an American expat living in Alberta!) is still part of North America :)

ON the link to the Celebrity FAQ about packages and drinks, their FAQ still has gratuities at 15%, thought the language provides for changes

SO even linking to external documents isn't keeping current LOL.

Maybe OP can modify and put a parenthetical or a * footnote as appropriate throughout the document before those external links that the gratuity was raised to 18% effective Feb 1, 2015.

I'll add an actual FAQ about that in the next update. I didn't see this before posting the previous one and it's a good point.

If you see anything else, please let me know. As I said before, this is still a bit of a work in progress and I'm really hoping for feedback like yours. Once I get it in a more complete state I'll shift the content to a website that I can update and start seeing about getting a sticky post. Might cut down on all the questions we get here about the packages :D

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. It's perfect for new cruisers, and even us regulars, who weren't sure on the finer points.

I do have one question; sorry if it's there and I missed it. I understand I can upgrade classic to premium up to the last two days of the cruise, but it says beverage package can be bought on board from one of the tables/bars on embarkation day.

If I have no beverage package at all, can I purchase one halfway through the cruise. An example is that our cruise is port intensive for the first 6 days, then 5 sea days back. Could someone buy a classic beverage package 6 days in for the remainder of the cruise? I'm assuming it works like the upgrade, but thought I'd check :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. It's perfect for new cruisers, and even us regulars, who weren't sure on the finer points.

I do have one question; sorry if it's there and I missed it. I understand I can upgrade classic to premium up to the last two days of the cruise, but it says beverage package can be bought on board from one of the tables/bars on embarkation day.

If I have no beverage package at all, can I purchase one halfway through the cruise. An example is that our cruise is port intensive for the first 6 days, then 5 sea days back. Could someone buy a classic beverage package 6 days in for the remainder of the cruise? I'm assuming it works like the upgrade, but thought I'd check :)

You sure can! Just tell any bartender or server on day 6 that you'd like to buy and you will receive the sticker on your Sea Pass and a prorated charge. I'll clarify this in my next update to keep things clear,so thanks for pointing it out... And I hope you enjoy your cruise, that sort of itinerary sounds awesome!

Thanks for the continued feedback. I have added the following question to the "Before You Sail" category:

Can I bring a coffee maker or electric tea kettle with me? Can one be provided in my stateroom?

You cannot bring a coffee maker or electric tea kettle on board with you, and there are no coffee makers in the rooms.

There generally aren’t electric tea kettles in the rooms. On sailings out of Southampton, England, however, electric tea kettles will be furnished in all staterooms. This can be used for tea and instant coffee.

I updated a question in the Beverage Packages section to clarify that purchases and upgrades are prorated:

How long do I have to decide to purchase or upgrade beverage package?

You can purchase or upgrade a beverage package at any time until you have two nights left in your cruise. At the time of your purchase or upgrade, you will pay a prorated price based on the number of nights that you have left.

Bev Package FAQ.pdf