New Orleans Powers Pass

Bornbeau

Going on New Orleans Mardi Gras Cruis on the Equinox in Feb. Would it be worth it to buy the New Orleans Power Pass that gets you into many attractions. Does antbody know if alot of these attractions are within walking distance of the ship. We do not mind walking. Also what is the weather like that time of year.

You may get more info if you post your question on the Ports Of Call forum- New Orleans.

The RollCall for your sailing is also a good place to ask as some of your fellow passengers on the Mardi Gras cruise may have the info you are looking for.

You need to check the ports of call for more information, for sure, but if you've never been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, a couple of things to keep in mind:

Monday and Tuesday are essentially city holidays; Tuesday for sure. Check what's open before committing. It may not be easy to get to the Garden District, certainly on Tuesday (Monday's probably OK during the day). The Audubon Zoo, for instance, is in the Garden District, so you'll probably only have Monday for it. It looks like several other attractions (all those nice, big homes) are in the Garden District; the Mardi Gras parades go down St Charles, the primary route from lower Canal/French Quarter to the Garden District. The Creole Queen is at the other end of the Riverwalk Mall from the port. The French Quarter is reachable by foot, definitely during the day with a little more caution at night. New Orleans doesn't have bad neighborhoods and good neighborhoods; it has good blocks and bad blocks. It's a great city, but it's very unique.

If memory serves, the National World War II Museum isn't far from the dock.

You can definitely walk from the pier to the World War II museum. And you can also walk into the French Quarter. Either walk should take about 20 minutes barring huge crowds.

Despite my love for this wonderful city which I have visited at least 40 times I do encourage you to be aware of pickpockets. Mardi Gras is truly an experience and a little awareness goes a long way.

A stroll to St. Charles will take at least a half hour and the streets will be very crowded.

You will need a cab to get to the zoo.

Although I am not cruising with you I hope you have a wonderful cruise and find more information on the Roll Call, Ports of Call forum and Trip Advisor.

Thanks to all for ans. my question about saftey, I will be wearing a around the neck pouch with VERY little cash & just my sea pass card. Being from CHICAGO I know what you mean by blocks to be aware of.

george35

We are also on that cruise and Mary (beba beba) has put together a fabulous spreadsheet for us. As someone mentioned, be sure to check out the roll call first.

According to the thousands of posts on the roll call, many businesses will be closed on Monday and Tuesday. We won't arrive in town until Sunday evening and so wouldn't invest a lot in events for that day. If there is any hold up on getting us off the ship that day, you may miss your event.

I also was told that the WWII museum is amazing and I see it is open on Monday but looks to be closed on Tuesday.

The ship will initially dock on Sunday at the Poland Street dock where we will go through immigration, after which we will move on up to the Julia Street dock right there in town. You will be able to walk, albeit, through massive crowds to the French Quarter. I read that the parade route is about 1 mile away and Bourbon street, maybe just a bit further ... so it is walkable. I have also read that transportation will not be available into this area until after the parades are done. You can still probably catch a cab (or maybe a trolley car) down to the Garden district, though.

Again, I would recommend joining or at least looking over all the valuable info that can be found in the roll call. There is a part one and part two because of so many posts. We have an extremely large group registered for this cruise.