Iguazu Falls Decision

diane.in.ny

Iguazu Falls has been on my bucket list for a long time. Now that we are in the process of planning a South America cruise, disembarking in Buenos Aires, I'm taking a good hard look at the time and cost for visiting Iguazu Falls. And I'm beginning to wonder if we should bother.

It isn't like we haven't seen falls before. We live only an hour from Niagara Falls and have seen it multiple times from both the US and Canadian side. We've seen falls in Iceland. We've seen falls in Patagonia where if you fell over, they'd look for your body in the Pacific. :eek:

Is Iguazu Falls really that spectacular and all that different? Is it worth the time, money and hassle?

Absolutely! Positively. You really can't imagine what they are like. They're not just one or two falls. They go on and on. I too have seen falls all over including Victoria, Angel and Niagara. Have spoken with many and they feel the same.

Lynne

Iguazu Falls has been on my bucket list for a long time. Now that we are in the process of planning a South America cruise, disembarking in Buenos Aires, I'm taking a good hard look at the time and cost for visiting Iguazu Falls. And I'm beginning to wonder if we should bother.

It isn't like we haven't seen falls before. We live only an hour from Niagara Falls and have seen it multiple times from both the US and Canadian side. We've seen falls in Iceland. We've seen falls in Patagonia where if you fell over, they'd look for your body in the Pacific. :eek:

Is Iguazu Falls really that spectacular and all that different? Is it worth the time, money and hassle?

Think 1000 Niagaras (US and Canadian both) side by side, with opportunity to see them from long walkways over the top, into the middle, and arm's reach right next to you, to swim in them, to take a small boat ( not a huge Maid of the Mist) under them, and take lots of photos of those across from you too.

Add the Bird Park where you can be in the house-sized cage with macaws, parrots, toucans and more.

And a tour of the dam and/or a helicopter flight too.

Enjoy.

If you take that small boat, make sure you bring a waterproof camera.

You can buy clear plastic sealable bags for any camera or cell phone these days, good even under water for long periods snokling, and most with a cord to hang around your neck. They work impeccably and are not so expensive. When you actually go under the falls, you can't see, let alone take pictures. They stop the boat just before so everyone can take their photos. As long as the camera is well protected, even in just a regular plastic Ziplock bag, when the boat goes under, and you get soaked, it'll be OK.

WOW!

Thanks everyone. Guess that answer my question :D

Make sure you don't practice false economies; be sure to get your Brazilian visa so you can see both sides.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

. As long as the camera is well protected, even in just a regular plastic Ziplock bag, when the boat goes under, and you get soaked, it'll be OK.

Make sure you don't practice false economies; be sure to get your Brazilian visa so you can see both sides.

Thanks for the info about the Ziploc bags.

And I have to admit we were considering not going to the Brazilian side. But it has to do less with $$ than with my husband's ability to be on his feet for a long time. The heat and humidity will just wipe him out. We'll be lucky if we can max out the Argentinean side let alone take the time to go to the Brazilian side.

Are you considering the ship tour or an independent tour? I'm interested in joining one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will definitely be an independent tour post-cruise. The ship's tour is one day there and back and very expensive.

I have started communication with a tour operator who strongly advised against catching our international flight the same day we get back from IF. He pointed out that flights from IF can be delayed and suggested flying home the next day.

Another vote for Iguassu from me. It is jaw-droppingly stunning and the most magnificent sight I have ever seen. Don't miss this opportunity.

Eleanor Roosevelt was taken there on an official visit and commented "Poor Niagara!" That says it all.

Lily

Thanks for the info about the Ziploc bags..

Ziplock any documents and cash you have with you as well. I think you can leave dry clothes at the dock to change into afterwards. It was so hot when I was there that I just stayed in my damp clothes, like at the beach.

And I have to admit we were considering not going to the Brazilian side. But it has to do less with $$ than with my husband's ability to be on his feet for a long time. The heat and humidity will just wipe him out. We'll be lucky if we can max out the Argentinean side let alone take the time to go to the Brazilian side.

Well, I think the Brazilian side is actually less strenuous than the Argentine side. (I also wilt in high heat and humidity.) Take a taxi across the border and make sure the driver is willing to turn on the air conditioning for you. The driver can take your papers and do the formalities at the border for you while you wait in the taxi.

There is an asphalt path, and refreshment stand along the way for a pause. You will get damp and refreshed on the boardwalk into the middle of the falls. And at the falls you can stand right next to. Just take it easy. Stop to watch the coatis playing. It should take about 3 hours done slowly.

The Bird Park has a refreshment stand too, so you can relax for awhile before checking out life with the macaws. You can take the bus from the Brazilian side of the park over to the Bird Park entrance.

Then find a taxi with ac to take you back to Puerto Iguazu.

The nicest thing IMO to have is a hotel with a pool, even a small plunge pool, at the end of the day to cool off.

And to the other poster----

One day is NOT enough to travel in, see the falls, and travel back (to Rio or to BsAs).

Flights and hotels are easy enough to arrange on your own, timed for your leisure, not someone else's convenience. And it's very easy to get around the locale on your own.

Without doubt do both sides. Yes there is a lot more walking to do on the Argentinian side than the Brazil side. Most people say the Argentina side is the only one to do - I beg to differ. IMHO the Brazil side was possibly the more spectacular of the two sides and certainly not one to be missed so do both sides, you wont be sorry. Yes, I have seen Niagara Falls as well and they were also spectacular (particulalry in winter when we were there) but Iguazu was something very special.:)

If you can manage one day for each side you will have a far more enjoyable - and memorable- experience.

We researched many variations for accommodation. Took awhile to justify the expense of the Sheraton Iguazu, but we were so glad we made that choice. Sheraton is the only hotel actually within the park on the Argentine side so we could stay later on the trails and squeeze in one extra walkabout on our last morning. We could hear the falls and see the spray from our balcony. Colourful parrots swept through the lush gardens and landed on the railings.Priceless. Sheraton also has a very nice pool - a real bonus in that climate.

A small train runs from the tourist entry beside the hotel out to the head of the main trails. Easily walkable for most, but a boon to those with mobility issues.

BTW, we simply booked a bus tour from the Argentine side to the Brazilian side through the hotel. Much more reasonable than a fully guided tour. Easy to follow the walkways on your own.

If you can manage one day for each side you will have a far more enjoyable - and memorable- experience.

We researched many variations for accommodation. Took awhile to justify the expense of the Sheraton Iguazu, but we were so glad we made that choice. Sheraton is the only hotel actually within the park on the Argentine side so we could stay later on the trails and squeeze in one extra walkabout on our last morning. We could hear the falls and see the spray from our balcony. Colourful parrots swept through the lush gardens and landed on the railings.Priceless. Sheraton also has a very nice pool - a real bonus in that climate.

A small train runs from the tourist entry beside the hotel out to the head of the main trails. Easily walkable for most, but a boon to those with mobility issues.

BTW, we simply booked a bus tour from the Argentine side to the Brazilian side through the hotel. Much more reasonable than a fully guided tour. Easy to follow the walkways on your own.

Thank you. We are definitely thinking about staying at the Sheraton. And thank you for the information about the bus tour from the hotel. That makes logistics easy.

do not miss the falls. We stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton in Argentina right in the park. We did the lower falls walk one day and the upper falls hike the second day. Plus the Devils Throat. These are the most spectacular falls in the world, you can walk over, next to, and all around them in the park. Many birds and other small animals to see as well. I highly recommend them. Well worth the flight and time spent there.

Another vote for going to the Falls, even if for only one day. We did it independently from BA in one long day, arranging for a private guide to pick us up at the Iguasu airport , take us to & through the park (with short cuts saving time, etc) , at the end of the day taking us back to the airport, all at less than 1/2 of the cost of the ship's tour.

Diane you can also arrange with the concierge at the Sheraton to take you to the Brazil side by taxi. Not sure how much the tour is but the taxi was about &95US return and we got there in 1/2 hr and he got out in the heat and did all the passport control for us, and picked us up at our elected time. It's very easy to get around on the Brazil side as your admission fee gives you free bus rides all round the park and they are very frequent. Hope that helps, [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Two last questions. If you go to the Brazil side do you have to pay the park entrance again? And if you do, does it have to be in Brazilian currency?

Don't think of it as "again". Two different countries, two different national parks of two different nations, two different sides of the river.

Here is the official site for the Brazilian park:

http://www.cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/

Definitely a not to miss trip. Think of it as the Argentine side is up close and personal. Literally right in the middle of the water. They have fantastic walkways that go out into the middle of the falls. Such a unique experience.

On the Brazilian side, you can get some gorgeous panoramic pictures of the Argentine Side. Also, definitely take the boat ride. You will go right under a falls, and get soaked. We wore plastic rainjackets, and didn't get totally soaked. Lots of fun, and some truely breathtaking pictures.

• 1 month later...

@mattmike--

You don't really need a guide for the falls to get a "better" experience. The Brazilian side has one path along the river. IMO it's about the experience, standing next to a huge torrent of water or walking out into the middle of the river to get wet., not statistics you can just as easily get from any guidebook.

The Bird Park and heli ride are near the entrance to the Brazilian park.

The Argentine side has a couple of major trails, upper and lower, and good maps. Again, it's about the experience walking over the top of the falls on the narrow boardwalk, etc.

There are local public buses that go from the town to the park entrance (both sides) and one that crosses the border from town to town. If you want more convenience, there are lots of taxis. Some drivers can help with the border crossing formalities, stamping passport out of one country and into the other, but it is not complicated by bus either.

Your lodging can help arrange a boat ride under the falls.

@mattmike--

You don't really need a guide for the falls to get a "better" experience. The Brazilian side has one path along the river. IMO it's about the experience, standing next to a huge torrent of water or walking out into the middle of the river to get wet., not statistics you can just as easily get from any guidebook.

The Bird Park and heli ride are near the entrance to the Brazilian park.

The Argentine side has a couple of major trails, upper and lower, and good maps. Again, it's about the experience walking over the top of the falls on the narrow boardwalk, etc.

There are local public buses that go from the town to the park entrance (both sides) and one that crosses the border from town to town. If you want more convenience, there are lots of taxis. Some drivers can help with the border crossing formalities, stamping passport out of one country and into the other, but it is not complicated by bus either.

Your lodging can help arrange a boat ride under the falls.

There are three pathways-lower, along the base of the falls; upper along the rim at the top the falls; and the Garganta de Diablo (Devil's Throat)n walkway out over the top of the falls.....each has its own appeal and as you point out none requires a guide.