I've heard Titou Gorge is cold. Should I bring my shorty wetsuit?

runswithdogs

Hello, I have booked a Bumpiing tour that includes Titou Gorge. I love nature, but HATE cold water. I have a shorty wetsuit that I think I can fit in my carry-on (I'm a light packer otherwise).

The only downside would be either wearing it for the long Middleham falls hike, or having a bulky backpack that day. What do you think?

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't. It doesn't take long to accumulate to the water. It feels so cold at first because it is so hot and humid before you hit the water.

Everyone still needs to be careful. People with compromised lung function could stop breathing from the shock of the cold water. The water is about 60 degrees. I've toured twice and haven't done the swim yet. I hope to try this time.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Dominica, and did the TiTou Gorge swim. Though we were in the heat of the summer (and a hotter summer than usual in Dominica), the TiTou Gorge was still extremely cold.

Once we jumped in and started moving our limbs, our bodies became accustomed, but if I were going back during another time of year, I'd bring my shortie suit too.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! I think I will save myself from that same result and bring it.

I obviously won't need it in the ocean but there may be other cool mountain springs where it would come in handy.

It does flatten pretty nicely to fit in my carry-on. It'll just add a little bulk to my backpack on such days.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the same tour----great deal and very enjoyable. There is a lot of walking though. Walking to the champagne springs is tough. There is a large boardwalk that goes about 1/2 way, and then the rest is on large rocks. It would be easy to turn an ankle.

Going to the falls is also a bit of a hike. It seems like you'll never get there!

Just came back from this tour and we did it in December. If you feel more comfortable by all means bring your wetsuit. However, it is probably not necessary. Several people on our tour wore it for the Champagne part and left it on until after the gorge. Do not wear flip flops into the water at the gorge. You will not be touching bottom and they will fall off your feet. We had water shoes. Do wear some sort of shoes if going to Champagne reef for getting at the waters edge. Titou gorge is a must see. It was the hi-light of our vacation and one of those once in a lifetime memories. We were there between rain showers and the water was really flowing. Follow your guides instructions. We made it all the way to the end. Wonderful!!!

• 5 months later...

I went to the Gorge a few years ago, and as I remember it there are 2 springs that fall from pipes in the wall that are right across from where you enter the water. One is a hot spring, the other a cold spring. I went into the hot one first to get wet, then into the cold one to acclaimate, then into the river, and it wasn't too bad at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts are that if you think you might be cold take the wet suit. If you don't need it, a shortie is not that big of a thing to carry around, but if you need it and don't have it you will be sorry.