Etiquette and Tipping Around the World

Travelcat2

The kids that work the valet services work mostly for tips and I want to insure that my car comes back in one piece the next time I go to the same venue.

Forty years ago, when you parked your car on the street in certain areas of the big cities in the UK one or more youngsters would usually approach and say "Give us a quid to look after your car"

This was extortion not tipping

Forty years ago, when you parked your car on the street in certain areas of the big cities in the UK one or more youngsters would usually approach and say "Give us a quid to look after your car"

This was extortion not tipping

Much of what is posted on tipping threads sounds like extortion to me....

Tip the Porter or your bagsmight get dropped in the bay, or not delivered.

Lock your toothbrush up if you don't tip.

Or bribes

Tip early tip often to get quick service

Stronger drinks

These are useful sites - but as TC thought when posting them there are some inaccuracies. I only looked at the Switzerland examples - and both sites say no tipping here. Well -- the law that included a 15% service charge was passed in 1971 and things have evolved since then. Basically here there is no expectation that diners will tip BUT we all leave a little change with the bill at the end of a meal, when having a coffee in a café etc. I suppose in German this is called "Trinkgeld". "Pourboire" in French. It isn't much - a couple of francs are the most in a normal restaurant, maybe 15-20frs in a very expensive one with a bill way over $200. But it isn't really correct to say no tipping...

I laughed also when the Swissôtel site indicated that friends kiss each other 3 times when meeting. True in some cantons, not in others! But one that I find really really important is that no one at a table will drink any wine until the hostess raises her glass and says "Santé", looking in turn at everyone around the table. I have been to dinners where the hostess has been involved in conversation and has omitted to do this. No one - no one at all - lifted his glass until almost at the end of the first course someone dared say "Has anyone said "santé"" Everyone roared with laughter and our hostess - very quickly - went through the "approved procedure" !! And we all - finally - drank!

I have always wondered---Why is tipping based on the amount of the bill?

If I order an inexpensive dish for $10 and someone else in the same restaurant orders something for $20, and the plates are brought to the table at the same time, why is the first tip worth $2 and the second $4??? The same with a coke ($2.75) and bourbon ($10.) One trip from the bar, different price, different tip??

Interesting question----

Sheila

Very useful information, and I have bookmarked this thread on my desktop. I have said in several posts that "customary tips" are considerably higher in the US than most other places, and the links on the OP substantiate that. And there seems to be a bit of "tip inflation" going on in US restaurants. Our little city is a tourist destination for many, including international travelers. When I first moved here over five years ago, many menus stated that a tip of 15% would be added for parties of six or more. Now that has increased to 18%. One restaurant has increased it to 20%! Even for parties of less than six, I feel that this language on the menu serves as a "tipping guide" for them.

If you don't already know this, I dislike the US "tipping culture" and wish these service people would just be paid a living wage and be done with the whole matter of tipping (like in Australia). But some level and types of tipping are customary in most countries (not as high amount as the USA) so it is good to follow local customs, and know what they are.

Thanks, Travelcat2:)

What I posted were just guidelines and you will see different ones on the net. Go with what you feel is right. In Switzerland we just leave a little bit as service is included as well as many EU countries.

On a cruise we never bribe a tip but if we feel we want to give one or two including the crew fund that is strictly our business and really don't want to be lectured about it as this is a personal choice. You won't be taken to the brig if you decide to tip someone who has really taken care of you.

Yes we do tip certain people and not ashamed of it as I said this is our personal business.

Miles

Hope that CC'ers will check out these sites before they travel (and double check them on other sites if you like). Of course you will make your own decisions in terms of tipping, however, paying attention to what is or is not acceptable in different countries is important. I'm sure that no one wants to unintentionally offend someone. After all, each of are pretty much representing our home countries.

P.S. As posted earlier, this is not meant to be a tipping thread - only guidelines for different countries.

I have just clicked on the second link, the diplomatic one, and read the UK section. I think it was probably written and was certainly valid about 80 years ago, between the wars maybe, and gave me quite a chuckle.

ditto - I'm American but have lived in England for 50 years and it definitely made me chuckle. :D

Another old etiquette point that is still valid is that men should take their hats off inside a home and most other indoor buildings. While I do not always agree with Emily Post, I agree 100% on her hat etiquette points (typed below). Note: This is written for people in the U.S. but is likely valid in most first world countries.

Hats can be left on...

-Outdoors

-At athletic events (indoors or out)

-On public transportation

-In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies

-On elevators

Hats off, including baseball caps ...

-In someone's home

-At mealtimes at the table

-While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it's frigid!)

-In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required

-Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)

-In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall

-In restaurants and coffee shops

-At a movie or any indoor performance

-When the national anthem is played

-When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade

Another old etiquette point that is still valid is that men should take their hats off inside a home and most other indoor buildings. While I do not always agree with Emily Post, I agree 100% on her hat etiquette points (typed below). Note: This is written for people in the U.S. but is likely valid in most first world countries.

Hats can be left on...

-Outdoors

-At athletic events (indoors or out)

-On public transportation

-In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies

-On elevators

Hats off, including baseball caps ...

-In someone's home

-At mealtimes at the table

-While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it's frigid!)

-In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required

-Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)

-In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall

-In restaurants and coffee shops

-At a movie or any indoor performance

-When the national anthem is played

-When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade

I rarely wear 'hats' but I often wear 'caps' - as in ball caps. I think I'm more tuned into the hat etiquette as I'm retired military, but there are times I still forget. It's not common, but it happens. I'm sure most of us know what the 'rules' are, but oftentimes we just get distracted...

Can anyone tell me what would be a proper tip for a limo driver In the U.K. Based on a 100 # total cost? I looked at the web site above, which showed taxi driver information, but guessing this is not even close to what a limo driver would expect. Thanks in advance for any help.

Can anyone tell me what would be a proper tip for a limo driver In the U.K. Based on a 100 # total cost? I looked at the web site above, which showed taxi driver information, but guessing this is not even close to what a limo driver would expect. Thanks in advance for any help.

Below are two links from U.K. sites (one is TripAdvisor U.K. - a sister company to Cruise Critic). Both indicate rounding up to the nest GPB (British Pound - I don't have that symbol on my keyboard). However, you can find conflicting information if you look for it.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-united-kingdom (this link does not seem to work but you can look it up by the website name).

Thanks Travelcat for the link. While it did not specifically give guidelines for a reserved limo, it does give some guidelines of about 10% for a reserved taxi for the airport to London ride. Just to clarify we are using a hotel limo service and he/she will be at the custom exit waiting for us. Am I still on track with the 10%?

Why if you have an agreed £100 fare prepaid , for this would you tip, unless the driver does something exceptional. In the UK people are paid a proper wage and it is not the norm for tipping. The only way they will expect a tip is an American accent which raises expectations of a tip.

Thanks Travelcat for the link. While it did not specifically give guidelines for a reserved limo, it does give some guidelines of about 10% for a reserved taxi for the airport to London ride. Just to clarify we are using a hotel limo service and he/she will be at the custom exit waiting for us. Am I still on track with the 10%?

I would say these days 10% is the norm for tipping in the UK for anything. Some people don't even bother with that as they were brought up in a non tipping environment. I have rarely seen anyone (apart from tourists) tip over 10%.

£100 for a car transfer from Heathrow airport to central London sounds at the top end of the price range.

If the quality of the vehicle is up to, or exceeds, your expectations and the driver is courteous and helps with the luggage etc then a tip of £10 would be quite sufficient (preferably in £GBP rather than dollars or euros)

Bill's Old-School Thoughts on Tipping:

1. Tipping should be an optional payment to someone for providing excellent service.
  2. Tips should not be provided to someone for simply doing their job.
  3. Tip amounts should be up to the tipper, not the tippee.
  4. Tips should be earned and appreciated, not expected and taken for granted.

I guess it really should be that simple. I guess it never will be, though. Just my humble opinion.

Why if you have an agreed £100 fare prepaid , for this would you tip, unless the driver does something exceptional. In the UK people are paid a proper wage and it is not the norm for tipping. The only way they will expect a tip is an American accent which raises expectations of a tip.

Once again, we agree! Also, thank you for letting non-U.K. residents know that folks n there U.K. are paid a proper wage and the norm is to not tip (which agrees which what my British husband has been saying for years).

• 2 weeks later...

Traditionally in the UK it was considered vulgar to speak about money, especially to new acquaintances.

For example, one would not discuss:

• income
  • size/value of your house or estate
  • how much you paid for your cruise
  • whether, and how much, you tip staff

I realise that this is no longer a universally held view of correct etiquette, and some other nationalities have always found money issues to be more acceptable subjects for conversation than, say, politics or religion.

Politics and religion are definite no-nos however don't be surprised if a local in some country asks you your opinion of the leaders in your country. We have even had this question in Jordan and Oman.

People in the U.S. are fairly open about things but we find it best to discuss cruising and travels while onboard. This is something people on the ship have in common. If someone asked me about tipping, I would respond but would not respond about income, real estate, our home or anything that personal. There are people who love to talk about their "Rolls" and in those cases I discuss our Toyota Corollas:D. It is fairly easy to redirect the conversation.

One more thing - not specifically in any etiquette book...... but, I have been uncomfortable - more than once when dining with an officer and someone bringing up the Costa Concordia (or other ship disasters). IMO, this makes just about everyone at the table uncomfortable.

£100 for a car transfer from Heathrow airport to central London sounds at the top end of the price range.

If the quality of the vehicle is up to, or exceeds, your expectations and the driver is courteous and helps with the luggage etc then a tip of £10 would be quite sufficient (preferably in £GBP rather than dollars or euros)

But surely if I'm paying £100 to get, let's say, one of Mr Benz's vehicles (as opposed to £50 for one of Henry's they're already getting compensated for providing a car that meets expectations and a courteous driver who helps with the bags must be part of the package unless they give me the option of driving myself.

But surely if I'm paying £100 to get, let's say, one of Mr Benz's vehicles (as opposed to £50 for one of Henry's they're already getting compensated for providing a ccar that meets expectations and a courteous driver who helps with the bags must be part of the package unless they give me the option of driving myself.

Which they never do. The one time we were returned to the airport in Barcelona in one of Dr. Ferdinand's Finest (a Panamera), no amount of cajoling, bribery, or begging would have gotten me into the drivers seat. I know...I tried. :D