Pre-Night Stay & Next Day Anchorage to Seward Transfer: Coach or Train?

embellish

Considering Celebrity's Pre-Night stay in Anchorage with a next day transfer to Seward. The choices for the transfer are either motorcoach or train; however, Celebrity was unable to provide the Anchorage departure time for each option. All things being equal, I'd rather go with whichever option departs closer to noon on the day of sailing. Has anyone taken these options who can provide their estimated ETDs?

Considering Celebrity's Pre-Night stay in Anchorage with a next day transfer to Seward. The choices for the transfer are either motorcoach or train; however, Celebrity was unable to provide the Anchorage departure time for each option. All things being equal, I'd rather go with whichever option departs closer to noon on the day of sailing. Has anyone taken these options who can provide their estimated ETDs?

The regularly scheduled train leaves Anchorage at 6:45 a.m. and arrives in Seward at 11:05 a.m. @ $65/pp. That schedule works very well for people who want to take advantage of one of the 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruises from 11:30-5:30 before boarding the ship. From what I've read, the views from the train are even more beautiful than the views from the road. I don't know if the cruiseline has a special train that runs later in the day for people boarding the ship.

I would not recommend the cruise add on package. It is more costly then booking yourself and the BIG negative, you arrive in Seward in a timeframe that allows you to essentially do NOTHING there.

Seward is a gem. The best option is to book yourself a downtown hotel with a shuttle to the train depot and book yourself on that 6:45am train. The best touring out of Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat trip. Spectacular and far surpasses your ship exposer to glaciers and varied wildlife. Tour operators pick up at the depot, store your bags and then transfer you to your ship after. Nothing more convenient. :)

There is a cruise contracted train that arrives late afternoon in Seward- over $100pp, definately nothing I would ever recommend. Bus travel will have you "waiting" for boarding etc at willy nilly times, since they leave all day long.

• 10 years later...

Could I ask, are you recommending a train trip from Anchorage to Seward the day before, night in a Seward hotel, then the Kenai Fjords boat trip (private excursion) on the morning of the day that you will be boarding?

Thanks.

I would not recommend the cruise add on package. It is more costly then booking yourself and the BIG negative, you arrive in Seward in a timeframe that allows you to essentially do NOTHING there.

Seward is a gem. The best option is to book yourself a downtown hotel with a shuttle to the train depot and book yourself on that 6:45am train. The best touring out of Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat trip. Spectacular and far surpasses your ship exposer to glaciers and varied wildlife. Tour operators pick up at the depot, store your bags and then transfer you to your ship after. Nothing more convenient. :)

There is a cruise contracted train that arrives late afternoon in Seward- over $100pp, definately nothing I would ever recommend. Bus travel will have you "waiting" for boarding etc at willy nilly times, since they leave all day long.

Could I ask, are you recommending a train trip from Anchorage to Seward the day before, night in a Seward hotel, then the Kenai Fjords boat trip (private excursion) on the morning of the day that you will be boarding?

Thanks.

I'm not budget queen, but in this specific post, she was suggesting the train to seward on the SAME day you board the cruiseship. This train arrives before noon, so you would have time for a kenai fjords boat trip prior to boarding your ship. Another benefit to the suggestion is that your luggage would be delivered from anchorage directly to your cabin.

BUT, if you have time, arriving to seward the day before your cruise is a plus. Seward is an active harbor town with lots to see and do. Or you could simply stroll around the harbor and waterfront to watch the eagles, otters, and all the fishing charters .

We are taking the 1:00 train to our ship- TA booked it -didn't realize there was a morning train but I am good with that b/c the time change will be tough....guess we will just walk around Anchorage before boarding train

Thanks for the responses, and the suggestion to take the train on the same day as boarding.

Hlsess, I looked on the https://alaskatrain.com website and only see the 6:45 am train from Anchorage to Seward. Can you tell me were you saw information about a 1:00 pm train?

Thanks.

I'm not budget queen, but in this specific post, she was suggesting the train to seward on the SAME day you board the cruiseship. This train arrives before noon, so you would have time for a kenai fjords boat trip prior to boarding your ship. Another benefit to the suggestion is that your luggage would be delivered from anchorage directly to your cabin.

BUT, if you have time, arriving to seward the day before your cruise is a plus. Seward is an active harbor town with lots to see and do. Or you could simply stroll around the harbor and waterfront to watch the eagles, otters, and all the fishing charters .

We are taking the 1:00 train to our ship- TA booked it -didn't realize there was a morning train but I am good with that b/c the time change will be tough....guess we will just walk around Anchorage before boarding train

Thanks for the responses, and the suggestion to take the train on the same day as boarding.

Hlsess, I looked on the https://alaskatrain.com website and only see the 6:45 am train from Anchorage to Seward. Can you tell me were you saw information about a 1:00 pm train?

Thanks.

The regular train leaves at 6:45am as you stated.

The 1pm departure is for a cruise-contracted train.

Thanks for the clarification! That explains why the 1:00 pm Anchorage to Seward train is not listed.

Thanks.

The regular train leaves at 6:45am as you stated. The 1pm departure is for a cruise-contracted train.

I was on Holland and wish I'd booked it myself. We left at 1 and arrived in Seward late day. They made us sit on the train for about an hour as they walked each car individually to check in. We didn't board until after 6 pm. I really regret not making my own train reservation and going in the morning.

I was on Holland and wish I'd booked it myself. We left at 1 and arrived in Seward late day. They made us sit on the train for about an hour as they walked each car individually to check in. We didn't board until after 6 pm. I really regret not making my own train reservation and going in the morning.

I wonder how they would have handled your arriving independently, and if they would have allowed you to board earlier?

I wonder how they would have handled your arriving independently, and if they would have allowed you to board earlier?

Even if you book independently, your luggage goes directly to the cabin if you are boarding the ship the same day.

ie if you are taking the 6:45am train, you go to the Anchorage depot, tell the luggage handlers in the big white tent that you're boarding a Princess ( or whichever) ship and your luggage will go by truck to Seward and delivered to your room.

This is for the major cruiselines ..... call the Railroad to verify that this is the case for your cruiseline.

WE are in Anchorage and boarding the HAL cruise train tomorrow to Seward. It sounds like this is a five hour experience. DId you eat before you boarded the cruise train? SHould we eat before boarding or bring food with us? It sounds like food may be available for purchase on the train. WE are assigned to Table 7. DOes that mean that people sit facing each other?

would also suggest Train ride between seward and anchorage. it was outstanding.

either stay in anchorage and take 645am train or go straight to Seward via train and stay there overnight-

we loved the Kenai Fjords tour. We also have went out to Exit glacier, sea life center, portage glacier, wildlife center. if I had to prioritize- Kenai Fjords tour would be my choice

WE are in Anchorage and boarding the HAL cruise train tomorrow to Seward. It sounds like this is a five hour experience. DId you eat before you boarded the cruise train? SHould we eat before boarding or bring food with us? It sounds like food may be available for purchase on the train. WE are assigned to Table 7. DOes that mean that people sit facing each other?

Table 7 will be on the "good" side of the train as far as seeing the water as you make your way out of Anchorage. It will be a table for 4. So if you are the first 2 to get there you can claim the front facing seats. You are also assigned a train car on the same ticket.

We arrived first and took the forward seats which was good for me as I do tend to get motion sick. The next couple arrived a bit later and one of them was very huffy and muttering under breath about not facing forward because of motion sickness. Awkward!

The train attendant ending up switching some folks around.

The cabin attendant will run a tab for any drinks or sandwiches you order and close it out as you get close to Seward. And the cruise representative had the list of where everyone was sitting in terms of the check in, so people really can't just trade among themselves without making it hard on the attendants.

I second Budget Queen's suggestion. We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Anchorage near the train station which provided a free shuttle to the train. We actually booked the Kenai Fjords trip through the Alaskan railway site (when we purchased our train tickets). The fjords-tour operator in Seward met us at the train station, then whisked us off to the boat. Onboard, a box lunch was provided. And, as others have mentioned, it is a very scenic train ride.