Pocket knife question

Herfnerd

BTW, check local laws when it comes to any length of knife too. For example, locking blades of any size/type are completely illegal to carry in the UK "without good reason" (and the police and/or courts are the ones who decide if you have good reason, not you).

My local army base has a sign prohibiting entry with knives.

My local army base has a Post Exchange that sells knives.

My local army base has family housing where each resident has butcher knives, steak knives, etc.

A contractor friend was going through security to get on the base to lay some carpets. He was told he couldn't take his knife on base. He asked how he was supposed to lay carpet without a knife? He was told his knife wasn't a knife, it was a tool.

My local army base has a sign prohibiting entry with knives.

My local army base has a Post Exchange that sells knives.

My local army base has family housing where each resident has butcher knives, steak knives, etc.

A contractor friend was going through security to get on the base to lay some carpets. He was told he couldn't take his knife on base. He asked how he was supposed to lay carpet without a knife? He was told his knife wasn't a knife, it was a tool.

Lol - aren't all knives tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

USN59-79

I read last year that TSA was going to relax security and allow you to carry a small pocket knife on board a plane. Whatever happened to that?

The TSA did relax this standard; however, they did it without consulting the airline unions and the pilots and flight attendants were not the least bit happy with this decision. Not unreasonable IMO given the damage a person armed with a box cutter was able to inflict. TSA quickly backed away from the issue and the regulations stand as before.

And, yet, the pilots and FAs have not voiced objection to knitting needles - those will cause major damage.

Even funnier how we are all issued steak knives at dinner......

igraf

Funny thing - they sell Ulu knifes onboard the Alaska ships and they could be very dangerous weapons IMO.

One time we bought one on an Alaska cruise and the next day we were boarding another HAL ship to continue our trip (sort of a back to back). Security saw the Ulu knife and wanted to keep it (until after the cruise I assume), until I showed them the HAL logo and receipt on it!

Right hand versus left hand thinking.

The right hand of TSA has no idea what the left hand is doing. They made me take my swiss army knife out of my carry on and either put it in my check on luggage.........long gone into the depths of the airport luggage system...........take it to my car............still at the hotel.............or send it home by mail. This was last January, 2017

USN59-79

I read last year that TSA was going to relax security and allow you to carry a small pocket knife on board a plane. Whatever happened to that?

The TSA did relax this standard; however, they did it without consulting the airline unions and the pilots and flight attendants were not the least bit happy with this decision. Not unreasonable IMO given the damage a person armed with a box cutter was able to inflict. TSA quickly backed away from the issue and the regulations stand as before.

The right hand of TSA has no idea what the left hand is doing. They made me take my swiss army knife out of my carry on and either put it in my check on luggage.........long gone into the depths of the airport luggage system...........take it to my car............still at the hotel.............or send it home by mail. This was last January, 2017

I've had to do that a few times myself when I forgot to take the knife out of the bag before going somewhere with just my daypack. I mailed it... At least my home airport got smart (for awhile) and had a little postal stand where people could grab an envelope and mail back those horrible forbidden items...

Victoronix markets the tool as the Jetsetter for air travel in the US. The EU allows small blades which the US proposed and then rescinded. Leatherman makes a Skeletool without a blade.

Does HAL enforced the blade length scissors? TSA rules allow non pointed scissors less than 4".