FOUND: Piece of Jewelry in Noordam Cabin 1085 - 5/28/17

rose102798

If you or someone that you know lost a piece of jewelry on the Noordam, Cabin 1085, prior to 5/28/17, please message me to describe, or provide your email address and I will contact you.

(For those of you that are going to ask why I did not turn it into the cruise line, let's just say that I knew that I would try harder to find the rightful owner. In a rush, I left a very personal piece of jewelry at a hotel in NYC, never to be seen again. The hotel personnel took no action to help me recover it. I use this to premise that all negative comments will be ignored.)

My son left his wallet (with about $300) in the nightstand when we disembarked. Got less than a mile from the pier when we realized it, and called security. They said they went to the cabin and checked and there was nothing there. Not sure whether the steward or security got the goods, or they split it. Either way, we got nada. You are doing the right thing.

I would do what you have done but in the knowledge that a large proportion of people who cruise would never use CC I encourage you to advise HAL. What would you do if you left jewelry in a cabin? Call HAL I suspect. If you let HAL know and give them permission to pass on your email or they give you the owners contact details there is a much better chance the owner will be re-united with their property. HAL may do nothing, but it can't hurt.

With all due respect, and I know your intentions are good, what you did is wrong. Not everyone is a member of this forum, or uses social media. But that person is probably contacting HAL asking if anyone turned it in, only to be disappointed when they are told no. I would be furious with you if it were me and you took my personal property home with you. Please do the right thing and mail it (securely) back to HAL's lost and found department.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all due respect, and I know your intentions are good, what you did is wrong. Not everyone is a member of this forum, or uses social media. But that person is probably contacting HAL asking if anyone turned it in, only to be disappointed when they are told no. I would be furious with you if it were me and you took my personal property home with you. Please do the right thing and mail it (securely) back to HAL's lost and found department.

I agree with you -- totally wrong to have taken it off the ship since the chances are so slim that it belongs to a CC member.

... in the knowledge that a large proportion of people who cruise would never use CC ...

Not everyone is a member of this forum, or uses social media.
I would think that IF the loser was a CC member that THEY would have started an inquiry thread weeks ago.

HAL's lost and found is pretty good IMO.

We have had items returned. It takes time for the item to get to Seattle from the ship, but they keep track of all reports and do call if they have anything that sounds like it could be yours.

PLEASE, call HAL's Lost and Found NOW or email them (under contacts on the HAL website).

The owner has probably already inquired, hoping to recover it.

If I were missing property, I'd be contacting HAL not looking here or expecting to see notification here.

If you or someone that you know lost a piece of jewelry on the Noordam, Cabin 1085, prior to 5/28/17, please message me to describe, or provide your email address and I will contact you.

(For those of you that are going to ask why I did not turn it into the cruise line, let's just say that I knew that I would try harder to find the rightful owner. In a rush, I left a very personal piece of jewelry at a hotel in NYC, never to be seen again. The hotel personnel took no action to help me recover it. I use this to premise that all negative comments will be ignored.)

Please contact HAL with your discovery so that they can back track at least the three prior occupants of that cabin. There is a process in place

I would do what you have done but in the knowledge that a large proportion of people who cruise would never use CC I encourage you to advise HAL. What would you do if you left jewelry in a cabin? Call HAL I suspect. If you let HAL know and give them permission to pass on your email or they give you the owners contact details there is a much better chance the owner will be re-united with their property. HAL may do nothing, but it can't hurt.

Thank you for the suggestion . . . doing this now.

I'm sure others have done as I have, in copying and pasting this post and emailing it to Holland America. Hopefully HAL reads their emails.

I had typed this as the OP was posting. I'm sure with the combined efforts of the OP and HAL the owner will be reunited with their lost property.

Good work Rose!

Edited by stillwater N&S

In Fort Lauderdale at the pre cruise hotel I found a large amount of cash....I think it was $700 or so dollars. I didn't know whether to call the police or take to the front desk because I worried like you did, OP, about it just being pocketed by the desk clerk.

I took it to the desk and hope it found its owner quickly.

I agree with this post! I left something in our cabin many years ago & never missed it.. But it was turned into HAL's lost & found & went to Lost & Found in Seattle..HAL Seattle contacted me & mailed it to me..

Your intentions were misplaced, as you should never assume that you would do a better job of finding the previous owners than HAL would.. You should contact HAL now, & mail it into their Lost & Found Dept..

Please contact HAL with your discovery so that they can back track at least the three prior occupants of that cabin. There is a process in place

Glad to know that there is a process in place. I immediately scoured their website to find a process and only found this in the "cruise contract" section:

" . . . You agree thatbaggage or property, including all lost and found items retained by Carrier ordelivered by You to Carrier, which remains unclaimed in writing for more than90 days after Your disembarkation shall be deemed abandoned and the soleproperty of Carrier and you relinquish any claim thereto . . ."

So hopefully the process actually goes a little further back than 3 prior occupants, to cover the 90 days.

And thanks to another helpful suggestion I have also found the drop down menu in the "email us" section that references lost and found and have contacted them.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Glad to know that there is a process in place. I immediately scoured their website to find a process and only found this in the "cruise contract" section:

" . . . You agree thatbaggage or property, including all lost and found items retained by Carrier ordelivered by You to Carrier, which remains unclaimed in writing for more than90 days after Your disembarkation shall be deemed abandoned and the soleproperty of Carrier and you relinquish any claim thereto . . ."

So hopefully the process actually goes a little further back than 3 prior occupants, to cover the 90 days.

And thanks to another helpful suggestion I have also found the drop down menu in the "email us" section that references lost and found and have contacted them.

Fingers crossed! ;)

From past experience, the item they found for us was held more than 90 days. The 90 days is probably their caveat as they have to stipulate something.

We were delighted when they called to advise and ask us questions to identify the property and they shipped it free of charge back to us.

I hope the owner of the lost item has the same success.

I know that you did not mean to do this but by keeping the jewelry and attempting to find the owner on CC, you basically stole the jewelry. What are the odds that the owner of the jewelry will go on CC and bother to go into the H AL site and look for their stuff - slightly greater than zero.

What you should have done was to turn it in and then post on CC that the jewelry has been found and the owner should contact HAL to get it back.

I know that you meant well but you went about it the wrong way.

DON

I know that you did not mean to do this but by keeping the jewelry and attempting to find the owner on CC, you basically stole the jewelry. ...............................

The criminal act of theft is the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

OP stated she took the jewelry piece because she "knew that I would try harder to find the rightful owner". There is no theft in this particular case

I do agree with your 2nd paragraph

CC does NOT have private message feature. You did NOt provide an e-mail address.

How DO YOU expect the rightful owner to contact you even if fhey see your post? hOW really EAGER ARE YOU to find the owner? Or is it a 'feel good' bit?

IF you really want the owner found, please contact HAL in Seattle. You give no way f to be conttacted. It has b een pointed out to you.............. now what? See my point?

Edited by sail7seas

The criminal act of theft is the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

OP stated she took the jewelry piece because she "knew that I would try harder to find the rightful owner". There is no theft in this particular case

I do agree with your 2nd paragraph

I can not say whether what she did was legally theft but it was the same as a theft. If anyone believes the "I would try harder" part of her post, I have several bridges to sell you.

I am surprised that she did not put an ad in the New Lisbon Gazette (New Lisbon is a small town in upstate Wisconsin) announcing what they found and asking the owner to contact them.

DON

CC does NOT have private message feature. You did NOt provide an e-mail address.

How DO YOU expect the rightful owner to contact you even if fhey see your post? hOW really EAGER ARE YOU to find the owner? Or is it a 'feel good' bit?

IF you really want the owner found, please contact HAL in Seattle. You give no way f to be conttacted. It has b een pointed out to you.............. now what? See my point?

The OP already reported that they followed the advice on this thread a number of posts ago and have contacted HAL.

They were, and are, doing what they think is best, and are following the constructive advice they received in this thread

The OP already reported that they followed the advice on this thread a number of posts ago and have contacted HAL.

They were, and are, doing what they think is best, and are following the constructive advice they received in this thread

Totally agree Kazu. By the time that reply was contributed we were WELL past that point

I think it was quite reasonable to point out CC does not h ave private message and let it be something to keep in mind if any of us find something on a ship, truly wish to have it returned and to provide a means to be contacted if they choose to post ab out their 'find' here. I did not see that anyone had pointed that out in this thread I also still do not see where OP has yet to provide contact info.. Of course, you need no t agree.