Checking Current Occupancy Online

pf778c

There's an online booking website that shares the first five letters of this one that I like to use to see how well a cruise is selling and what is still available. I booked a guarantee for an upcoming cruise, and when checking the available occupancy of this cruise on the aforementioned site, I see something like the following:

Category A: 3 suites available; 5 GUA suites

Category B: 4 GUA suites

Category C: 8 suites available

etc.

Would this mean that of the 5 Category A Guarantees, 3 will be assigned that category, while 2 will probably be assigned Category C, and the 4 Category B Guarantees will probably be assigned Category C?

I'm curious how this works.

Thanks,

Bechi

Usually online sites & even the cruise line site only shows up to so many cabins in each Cat

it does not account for those held by TA's or groups etc..

The revenue dept works in mysterious ways ;)

There's an online booking website that shares the first five letters of this one that I like to use to see how well a cruise is selling and what is still available. I booked a guarantee for an upcoming cruise, and when checking the available occupancy of this cruise on the aforementioned site, I see something like the following:

Category A: 3 suites available; 5 GUA suites

Category B: 4 GUA suites

Category C: 8 suites available

etc.

Would this mean that of the 5 Category A Guarantees, 3 will be assigned that category, while 2 will probably be assigned Category C, and the 4 Category B Guarantees will probably be assigned Category C?

I'm curious how this works.

Thanks,

Bechi

No way to predict assignments. Like all bookings gty's are based on supply and demand. And once they start getting the booking volumes in the categories and mix they are trying to fill, they will assign them and withdraw the gty's from the market. You will get at least what you booked, but you will get what you get. And as I said, there will be no way to predict with any certainty.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I completely misunderstood how the availability gets posted. Normally, I rarely see a GUA for cruises when checking, which is why I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works.

I guess I had assumed that out of say, 26 total cabins of a specified category, if 25 were shown as taken, 1 available, and 3 as guarantees, then the one available cabin would be assigned to one of guarantees, and the other two would be assigned elsewhere. If that cabin were to be booked as well, prior to assignment, then all three guarantees would get assigned elsewhere. Attached is a quick .jpeg of what is currently being reported. All cabins, with the exception of 409, are shown as taken.

Thanks,

Bechi

Availability.JPG.b8068d8031e16f59a5847dec2384cdd2.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I guess I completely misunderstood how the availability gets posted. Normally, I rarely see a GUA for cruises when checking, which is why I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works.

Bechi

Cruise lines overbook

they may have some cabins come open after final payment when people decide whether to go on the cruise or not

then they gamble on some people cancelling before sailing & can move some GTY bookings to those cabins

it is a complex game they play :)

Cruise lines overbook

they may have some cabins come open after final payment when people decide whether to go on the cruise or not

then they gamble on some people cancelling before sailing & can move some GTY bookings to those cabins

it is a complex game they play :)

This. They use complex algorithms when selling and pricing cruises and guarantee cabins give them some buffer room in the bookings. Ultimately those passengers can go anywhere in the ship at or above the guarantee category. Now, they want to sell as many rooms as possible at full price - then they want to talk current bookings into paying more to upgrade their cabins - and as a last resort they can upgrade a guarantee for free. But certainly never book a guarantee with the idea you'll get an upgrade. They could show 20 balconies available one day and then none the next based on making sure they have room for all the guarantees. A guarantee will be associated with a cabin category. You will get that, probably one of the worst rooms in that category, or better if you get very lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alright, so I guess just ignore whatever's being reported. I booked a guarantee for the category I was willing to pay for, knowing that I'll be happy with whatever I get. I've just never seen so many "GUA" suites being reported and couldn't help but wonder if that might tell me something. Oh well, they do say that curiosity killed the cat...<g>

Thanks,

Bechi