Would you go to Delos from Mykonos?

krisko

If you like ruins and archaeology then I would go. It's a fascinating island. Just be aware that if you are expecting something like the Acropolis in Athens or the ruins at Ephesus or the Roman forum you may be disappointed. For me it was similar to the ruins at Olympia where you need a strong imagination to bring back the glory of the site. One other thing of note, it can be brutally hot on the island. There aren't any trees around and there aren't any tall buildings left either so there is absolutely no shade except in the small museum that is usually the last thing you stop at.

Delos is a fantastic option if you are not into beach or shopping. It's a small island but it's chock full of ruins. Some really great residences (less well preserved than Pompeii but well enough that you can 'reconstruct' them mentally), including some with mosaics. And public areas with temples and so on.

The site also has a very nice small museum with some of the finds that have been removed for protection.

If you take the ferry from Mykonos, you have the option of seeing the site on your own or paying more for a guided tour. If you decide you'd rather see it on your own, I can recommend this nice pocket guidebook: https://www.amazon.com/Mykonos-Delos-Mcgilchrists-Greek-Islands/dp/1907859039/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1496934593&sr=8-10&keywords=Delos+guidebook

It has a map and describes all of the important ruins. There are a few pages on Mykonos but it's mostly about Delos. :)

I'll echo what others have stated here: Delos is a terrific place to visit if you like looking at archaeological sites and ruins. While I was there, I kept humming to myself the theme song from Indiana Jones. Since I love history (and Indiana Jones movies), I was happy as a clam...

• 3 weeks later...