Traditional with group for 5 of 7 nights

tracemyirishroots

We are cruising on the Emerald with a group in September. We would like to have traditional seating as a group, but 2 days when we are in port my husband and I would like to eat lunch in town then have a later dinner on the ship. Can we choose Traditional then opt for anytime on those two nights?

We are cruising on the Emerald with a group in September. We would like to have traditional seating as a group, but 2 days when we are in port my husband and I would like to eat lunch in town then have a later dinner on the ship. Can we choose Traditional then opt for anytime on those two nights?

The ship may or may not allow it, but it really isn't fair to the other diners. You would be taking up two seats for dinner that night - one in traditional and one in anytime. There are many threads on CC about people complaining that traditional diners using anytime are causing longer waits. If you show up late when the dining room isn't full, then they may seat you - and you would not be delaying anyone else as long as there are empty seats available.

You could eat at the buffet those two nights? Another option would be to make a late reservation in a specialty restaurant for one of those nights. If you don't want to do this, I would suggest talking with your headwaiter (in your traditional dining room) and asking for his suggestions. If you have early traditional, he may have some empty seats in late traditional that he would put you in.

In any case, tell you waiter and the other people at your table what nights you won't be there. That way, they won't wait for you before taking orders for the rest of the table.

This may not appeal to you, but it is an option.

When my wife and I lunch in a port, we usually go very light on dinner. Invariably, we have something in our room. My wife, like many women, it seems to me, loves room service--including the very modest room service menu offered by Princess. Another thing we did last year after having a nice lunch with my brother during a port stop in San Diego was go to the International Cafe for a couple salads and, then, to the Lido deck where she picked up a burger at the Trident Grill and I picked up a slice of pizza at Prego's. We also always have bottles of wine in our room to accompany these meals.;)

Now, if you have a bigger appetite than we have, and you are booked in a balcony cabin or a sute, you can reserve an Ultimate Balcony Dinner. In my opinion a truly excellent experience. We definitely do not lunch when we have the UBD.:D

If the maitre'd allows it then you can do it. A second DR opens for ATD at 7:30 and there are usually more tables available then during the early hour. Ask first.

Your in town lunch may be heavy and you may just want a sandwich at the International Cafe, a small plate in the buffet, a burger at the grill or Gastropub, room service. There are lots of options other than the DR. There may also be some entertainment you wish to enjoy which is during the late dinner time.

If you will have traditional seating just to be seated as a group and not mind having a different table and not served by the same waiter, you can also seat as a group in anytime dining. Second seating will be easier to have one.

If your going late to ATD 8pm or later. I don't think you will have a problem. You can ask your head waiter the night before and see what he tells you. Just to be sure.

Tony

If you will have traditional seating just to be seated as a group and not mind having a different table and not served by the same waiter, you can also seat as a group in anytime dining. Second seating will be easier to have one.

This

Chose ATD for the whole cruise.

First, if you are with a group, then please let them know when you will be missing so they don't wait for your arrival to start dinner service.

Princess is well aware that Traditional diners may not be there for all evenings, as they offer specialty restaurants to entice you away. Also, should your group have an early seating, Princess knows that some excursions will not be back in time for your attendance.

Switching to the MDR set aside for Anytime dining is not what the system is designed for. However, what we do is to enjoy another venue - you may be surprised how nice the buffet is, especially if Cafe Caribe is open for dinner. We have found the buffet often offers some of the MDR entrees, and often will serve a themed base cuisine, like German/Bavarian Night (really tasty).

On our 7 night California Coastal on the Crown Princess (see my signature below):

Note: We have always elected late seating/traditional dining when that is an option. (Obviously not in the Galapagos or on a river cruise).

First night: open seating for all, which was a nightmare because of a late departure which delayed opening of the dining rooms. Open seating for all was news to a great many passengers on the ship. I think I covered that in my review.

One night: room service from the limited menu offered by Princess.

One night: Crown Grill. Excellent as always.

One night: Crab shack. Excellent.

If you are counting, that leaves three nights with our table mates at an 8-top. (I prefer and requested a 6-top.) On only one of those nights were all 8 present.

I understand the concerns folks here raised about traditional diners going to an anytime dining room, but to the extent I have ever seen a wait for ATD, it is at the front end of the dining time. Wander in fashionably late, be willing to be seated with others, and enjoy. On our most recent cruise, a 15 day Panama Canal cruise, if we went to the dining room at lunch before noon, there was a wait. If we showed up at 12:15 p.m., no wait. People who had ATD (and mind you, this was on the Island Princess which was refurbished-ugh-to add more passengers and eliminate some public space, reported the same dynamic. Show up 15 minutes into the seating and the wait is no more than a good restaurant at home.

One of my pet peeves is that people abuse the system of traditional dining. If you know ahead of time that you're going to eat more than half your dinners away from the traditional dining room, you're just being selfish to request traditional dining. You're saying that your desire to have a reserved table for fewer than half the nights is more important than those people who do not get their preferred dining time.

One of my pet peeves is that people abuse the system of traditional dining. If you know ahead of time that you're going to eat more than half your dinners away from the traditional dining room, you're just being selfish to request traditional dining. You're saying that your desire to have a reserved table for fewer than half the nights is more important than those people who do not get their preferred dining time.

We take the late sitting, which has never been full. On this cruise, we had no idea until we arrived at the dining room that it was open seating on the first night. (Nor did hundreds of other people standing with us.) We went to Crab Shack one night, but it was originally only scheduled one night and was fully booked. It's our vacation. Plans change. We did not keep anyone from having their preferred seating.