Getting EU coins -- before our VOV arrival in Rotterdam

OlsSalt

Has anyone actually used a US chip-and-signature card at an NS kiosk machine ? How about a US chip-and-pin ?

The difference is that most US banks configure their systems to require a machine with a signature pad, although some will default to acceptance if the machine signals that it does not have one. Most banks outside the US configure their cards to require a machine with a PIN-pad, but some will default to acceptance if the on-card chip is tagged as a signature card with no PIN. Another case of the US taking the easy way out, so that users would not need to remember a PIN. However, chip-and-signature protects a bank against cards being cloned, but does not protect the consumer from having a stolen card used with a forged signature.

Some of the train stations in The Netherlands now have kiosks that will accept US chip and signature cards, but it's unclear to me to find out exactly which ones -- unless you want to try to track down someone to email at your specific station (??)

Personally, I'd take the advice of the person below -- posting from Netherlands so should know that shops ARE open. This is a strategy I've employed many a time in traveling. I wouldn't go in with a 100 euro note, but they should be able to make change for a 20 or a 10 with a small purchase.

In most of our citys, including Rotterdam, 99% of the shops are open on sundays. Get some euro notes from the ATM and buy a cup of coffee. Thats the cheapest way to get coins and 5/10/20 notes

in major north american cities with craiglist and similar, it is often possible to buy Euro coins and/or small bills from those who have small amounts left over from trips. but I agree, for coins alone it hardly seems worth the bother.

I work for the Dutch Railways and will happily confirm that we accept all VISA & Mastercard cards at the ticket machines or booths nationwide since August of 2014, Be prepared to enter your PIN number though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Forums

We don't accept creditcards online, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunate indeed. Maybe time to change that. Not every creditcard has the pinsystem, the US as an example, so they are useless in the machines. And that includes master/visa cards originating from the US.

I have seen this many times at the amsterdam airport railwaystation. The only thing the frustrated tourists could do is join the line at the ticket office.

I work for the Dutch Railways and will happily confirm that we accept all VISA & Mastercard cards at the ticket machines or booths nationwide since August of 2014, Be prepared to enter your PIN number though.

Many (if not most) Americans do not have chip and pin cards.

From the Dutch train system website - purchasing a single day return ticket

Travelling with a prepaid OV-chipkaart

You can top up your OV-chipkaart easily and pay for your train travel by checking in and out. You need at least € 20 as a starting fare (in Dutch) before you can travel.

Single-use smart card

For a single-use smart card you pay € 1 more than when you use a prepaid OV-chipkaart. Single-use smart cards are available from:

• NS ticket machines;
  • NS service counters;
  • Kiosks with NS Tickets & service;
  • all other NS outlets.

From Dutch Trains website: TICKET MACHINES

Purchasing tickets / Ticket machines

Self-service ticket machines at the station

International tickets also available

Get to your destination quickly

At a large number of NS stations, you can purchase tickets for international trips to Belgium, France, Germany and Luxembourg. You can recognise the NS ticket machine by the blue sign with the NS logo. The ticket that you get is a paper one that contains a chip. It is valid for all rail carriers. With this ticket you can check in and out of the gates but you will not need to add a cash balance to it.

View the assortiment of train tickets

Surcharges and ticket supplements

A surcharge applies for the route between Amsterdam and Arnhem with ICE International, unless you are in the possession of a subscription that NS considers valid*. The ticket supplement can also be purchased with the self-service ticket machines. At a machine your can also load the ICE supplement onto your OV-chipkaart. It's also possible to buy a supplement for a date in the future.

* NS Business Card and general public transport subscriptions as the student travel product are also part of the subscriptions that NS considers valid.

The ease of making an online reservation

Did you know that making an online reservation is a very user-friendly way to order international train tickets? This not only means you can quickly and easily make a reservation at any time that suits you, but also that you do not have to pay a booking fee.

WOW ...

Been to the UK and Europe many many times and whenever I needed train tickets, I would walk up to a counter, tell the nice folks where I wanted to go, they would tell me how much money I had to give them, and they would give me a ticket. End of story.

Who knew buying a train ticket could be so complicated :rolleyes:

WOW ...

Been to the UK and Europe many many times and whenever I needed train tickets, I would walk up to a counter, tell the nice folks where I wanted to go, they would tell me how much money I had to give them, and they would give me a ticket. End of story.

Who knew buying a train ticket could be so complicated :rolleyes:

I remember it that way too, but in this case there are a few more complications. We arrive on Sunday in August when there can be a lot of other travelers waiting in line to meet the nice folks at the ticket counter.

Plus there seems to be a barrier about using only Dutch bank issued credit cards or what looks like their PayPal equivalent system (iDeal) which is also linked only to a listed Dutch bank.

The days of electronic smart cards for tickets has changed the whole operations but have created a bit of a daunting barrier for one-time foreign users. All of which could be solved by using coins - hard cash for the ticket machines. The quick and easy method which we have been attempting to find a way to access.

Keeping in mind: at stake is a 10 minute train ride from Rotterdam to Delft -about a EU6.60 RT journey.

There are of course other solutions - using cards and facing extra fees, trying to get the right combination of coins with EU bills elsewhere prior to using the machines, or purchasing a e-ticket well ahead of time that may not serve upon arrival due to changed plans or weather.

There is not that much money at stake, but it was more the challenge of how to easily break through the system when it appeared the lack of having EU coins was the biggest barrier to making this quick and easy.

One can also rent a bike and take the back roads to Delft, which is what one other Roll Call member is putting together. And how far would it be to even walk, if it is only a 10 minute train ride? But the original question was how to obtain EU coins in the US, or prior to arrival in Rotterdam. On Sunday, assuming the banks will be closed.

(To be continued)

So taking another angle on this, is there a bank or other institution in the US that can provide that type of card?
We got a chip-and-pin card with no annual fee from Wells Fargo about 3 years ago for a Europe cruise - and never had to use the PIN once! But we never used it at an unattended kiosk or gas pump etc. I've forgotten what the PIN is now. :)

And how far would it be to even walk, if it is only a 10 minute train ride?
Looking at Google Earth I estimate that it is about 19 km (12 miles) from the pier to the center of Delft. That's at least a 4 hour walk for me ... and then back the same distance! Edited by catl331

Looking at the schedule of trains from Rotterdam to Delft, it appears that trains depart from Rotterdam about every 6 minutes or so throughout the day.

Given that, it doesn't seem terrible to just stand in line and get a ticket -- it's not as though you're going to miss the only train for the next two hours..... :eek:

Looking at the schedule of trains from Rotterdam to Delft, it appears that trains depart from Rotterdam about every 6 minutes or so throughout the day.

Given that, it doesn't seem terrible to just stand in line and get a ticket -- it's not as though you're going to miss the only train for the next two hours..... :eek:

The challenge of this question was originally to find a way to get coins ahead of time. No problem on finding a way to get there. Just a way to make it easy and quick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And the reminder to squirrel away EU coins if there is any possibility of a return visit - if nothing other than an emergency bathroom stop along the way to the bank for change.

Many (if not most) Americans do not have chip and pin cards.

I never said chip & pin, if your card only has a magnetic stripe that is fine as well, but since it is a machine you need a pin number. My US Suntrust mastercard without chip came (10yrs ago) with a pin code for ATM withdrawals and that would be the same code required when using it at a ticket machine.

Is anyone telling me they can use their US visa/mastercard to withdraw dollar bills from an ATM without a PIN number??

I never said chip & pin, if your card only has a magnetic stripe that is fine as well, but since it is a machine you need a pin number. My US Suntrust mastercard without chip came (10yrs ago) with a pin code for ATM withdrawals and that would be the same code required when using it at a ticket machine.

Is anyone telling me they can use their US visa/mastercard to withdraw dollar bills from an ATM without a PIN number??

I guess I am not understanding....

To use the ticket kiosks in The Netherlands requires a chip and pin card. Not a magnetic stripe card. You'll find most unmanned kiosks in Europe are the same. They will not process a magnetic stripe card any longer.

Also, why would one use a credit card in an ATM machine to get cash? Banks consider that a cash advance and charge a higher interest rate (that begins immediately on withdrawal) except for a few special cards. See here, for example: https://www.thebalance.com/why-you-should-avoid-a-credit-card-cash-advance-960036

Again, if I have misunderstood, my apologies.

The creditcard/debitcard terminals inside the ticket machine are able to identify if a card has a chip or not, if it does it will require you to put the card there where the chip can be read (remain put), if it doesn't it will ask you to remove the card (for a clean swipe of the magstripe). So yes, they do process a magnetic stripe card if this card does not have a chip.

I'm not saying you should use a creditcard in an ATM to get cash advance, I'm just saying that as far as I know it is possible but it would require a pin number, wouldn't it? That pin would be the same that you would need to enter in the terminal when buying a trainticket, even if your card does not have a chip.

Btw, any US checking debitcard with the Visa or Mastercard logo would work as well at our machines if you know the cards pin.

The creditcard/debitcard terminals inside the ticket machine are able to identify if a card has a chip or not, if it does it will require you to put the card there where the chip can be read (remain put), if it doesn't it will ask you to remove the card (for a clean swipe of the magstripe). So yes, they do process a magnetic stripe card if this card does not have a chip.

I'm not saying you should use a creditcard in an ATM to get cash advance, I'm just saying that as far as I know it is possible but it would require a pin number, wouldn't it? That pin would be the same that you would need to enter in the terminal when buying a trainticket, even if your card does not have a chip.

Btw, any US checking debitcard with the Visa or Mastercard logo would work as well at our machines if you know the cards pin.

This thread does seem to be "Rotterdam specific" so not sure your post will apply...at least not based on our own experience. The last time we tried using the ticket vending machines at the Rotterdam train station....they would not accept any of our US-issued cards...including those with chips and one with a chip/PIN that normally works around Europe. The only way we could purchase a ticket was to go upstairs to the ticket office and pay in Euros (cash). Perhaps the Dutch have recently upgraded their ticket vending machines.....but that is not something we would count on :).

Hank