USAA Travel insurance

Sparkygirl

I've never purchased 3rd party travel insurance only through cruise line or last TA didn't offer it and then when we called to add it were told it as too late. As Murphy works that cruise my daughter had to be removed from the ship and was seen in 2 different hospitals. Thankfully other than some billing mix ups Tricare is covering her medical expenses but we lost the cruise and the week of an unexpected vacation in Orlando before she was cleared to travel home. I am now paranoid about having travel insurance. How does third party insurance such as usaa work? When /how do I purchase it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best resource I have found for general information about travel insurance is here: http://tripinsurancestore.com They sell travel insurance, but their website also has a wealth of general information about how the insurance works and things to look for to make sure you're getting what you need. Another helpful site is http://travelinsurancebasics.com/index.htm

As far as buying through USAA, they sell travel insurance provided by TravelInsured. You find it by logging on to your USAA account, click the "Our Products" tab, and then in the bottom right of that box you'll see "Travel Discounts". Click that and the second item listed is Travel insurance. It takes you to a special version of the TravelInsured website just for USAA members. You put in your information and it gives you quotes for three different levels of plan. As far as I can tell, these are the same plans you can buy from TravelInsured (either directly or through another site such as tripinsurancestore or insuremytrip.com), but they are slightly discounted through USAA.

One interesting thing I recently learned is regarding US military members stationed overseas. According to tripinsurancestore, many insurance companies will not insure US citizens living overseas (even with an APO address). However, I specifically asked TravelInsured and they assured me by email that "Our policies covers all USAA members wherever you a located in the world." Just something to look out for if you're stationed overseas.

For the most complete coverage it's best to purchase within 14-21 days (depending on insurance company...for TravelInsured, it's 21 days) of initial deposit on the cruise. This gives you coverage for pre-existing conditions, so if someone (possibly even a family member not travelling) is being treated for a condition and takes a turn for the worse and you can't or decide not to travel, you are still covered by the insurance.

I have purchased the TravelInsured through USAA for our past several cruises. I can't say for sure how good it is because fortunately we've never had to use it! But the price is competitive and the coverage seems to be as well. I hope your daughter is doing well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The great thing about 3rd party insurance is that you can insure everything, not just the cruise, and you choose your level of coverage. It's also a lot cheaper than going directly through the cruise line. I'm pretty sure you can purchase it at any time prior to the trip, however it will only cover preexisting conditions if it's purchased within 21 days. USAA's travel insurance comes highly recommended. I will be using it myself for an upcoming cruise. The peace of mind is definitely worth it IMO.

• 1 month later...

We always buy our insurance through USAA because most travel insurance will not cover changes due to military orders. Since my husband is in the National Guard, we wanted to make sure we were covered if was called up and we weren't able to cruise. The USAA coverage includes this. We've been happy with their company so far - but have never had to make a claim.

Edited by Kim_KS
  • Thanks 1

I've never purchased 3rd party travel insurance only through cruise line or last TA didn't offer it and then when we called to add it were told it as too late. As Murphy works that cruise my daughter had to be removed from the ship and was seen in 2 different hospitals. Thankfully other than some billing mix ups Tricare is covering her medical expenses but we lost the cruise and the week of an unexpected vacation in Orlando before she was cleared to travel home. I am now paranoid about having travel insurance. How does third party insurance such as usaa work? When /how do I purchase it?

We too use USAA for our insurance when we travel. It is cheaper, covers EVERYTHING, not just the cruise and can be easily be accessed through your USAA account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We always buy USAA's trip insurance. And once I did have to cancel a flight (it wasn't a cruise trip that time) because my son who we were going to visit got sick. Even though he was not traveling, he was a family member and so the insurance reimbursed us the full cost of our non-refundable tix. It was not a difficult process. So I always buy from them now.

• 1 month later...
Can you book through the cruise Lind then purchase the insurance through USAA separate?

Yes. That is how you must do it. Once you call USAA you need to give them your travel info.

• 2 months later...

I have always purchased Travel Insured. They offer a small discount over the "street" price when you are a USAA member. I have not made any claims. You can compare travel insurance policies using the insuremytrip Website. They have very useful comparison charting tools for a comprehensive list of policies from many insurers. When you see policies that you would consider, you can click "View Certificate" to read actual policy documents for complete features, coverage's, exclusions, conditions and limits for every policy.

Some features I would not do without are: (1) emergency medical care and evacuation (2) exemption for pre-existing conditions for emergency medical evacuation, because this may be a catastrophic expense (3) advance payment will be made to a hospital, if needed to secure your admission to a hospital (4) no condition that only emergency evacuation that is arranged by insurance agent will be covered, because a true emergency may not allow time for this (5) liberal and flexible coverages, such as offered by Travel Insured WW Trip Protector, or a policy that equals or beats it.

As for saving money, look for discounts such as USAA offers for Travel Insured and buy before a birthday, rather than after, as price varies by age on date of purchase. If you are seniors, each birthday for each person insured can cost you $30.00 or more.

You can buy this Travel Insured insurance when you book your cruise at USAA or afterwards. It can be purchase for cruises bought from other than USAA travel agents. If you buy more than 21 days following your first deposit, 60-days-worth of existing conditions apply for all except emergency evac & remains return.

--See you on Adventure of the Seas Jan. 9, 2016

• 2 months later...

have used other companies thru a travel agent and was very unhappy (broke a tooth and they didn't cover)...broke an arm with USAA and they changed an overseas flight to 1st class due to my immobility and handled everything beautifully. do purchase within 21 days of 1st payment/deposit to have preexisting covered.

• 1 month later...

Pleased with this 3rd party travel insurance. Used for trips to Russia. Will be buying again for next cruise. No claims so far (knock on wood) but very impressed with their customer service and competitive price. You can still get it even if you are no longer a USAA member (price may be different though).

while I love USAA and many of their products, be careful with the insurance. it was cheaper, however, when I called in to make adjustments to coverages (adding major expenses such as flights and hotels as we booked them) they continuously mis-entered our dates by a year. wouldn't have noticed it until I received an email directly from USAA telling me to enjoy my upcoming trip (a year early). this happened 3 times over the course of a year with wrong dates ranging from 2 months to a year off from what the actual coverage period was supposed to be.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The best resource I have found for general information about travel insurance is here: http://tripinsurancestore.com They sell travel insurance, but their website also has a wealth of general information about how the insurance works and things to look for to make sure you're getting what you need. Another helpful site is http://travelinsurancebasics.com/index.htm

As far as buying through USAA, they sell travel insurance provided by TravelInsured. You find it by logging on to your USAA account, click the "Our Products" tab, and then in the bottom right of that box you'll see "Travel Discounts". Click that and the second item listed is Travel insurance. It takes you to a special version of the TravelInsured website just for USAA members. You put in your information and it gives you quotes for three different levels of plan. As far as I can tell, these are the same plans you can buy from TravelInsured (either directly or through another site such as tripinsurancestore or insuremytrip.com), but they are slightly discounted through USAA.

One interesting thing I recently learned is regarding US military members stationed overseas. According to tripinsurancestore, many insurance companies will not insure US citizens living overseas (even with an APO address). However, I specifically asked TravelInsured and they assured me by email that "Our policies covers all USAA members wherever you a located in the world." Just something to look out for if you're stationed overseas.

For the most complete coverage it's best to purchase within 14-21 days (depending on insurance company...for TravelInsured, it's 21 days) of initial deposit on the cruise. This gives you coverage for pre-existing conditions, so if someone (possibly even a family member not travelling) is being treated for a condition and takes a turn for the worse and you can't or decide not to travel, you are still covered by the insurance.

I have purchased the TravelInsured through USAA for our past several cruises. I can't say for sure how good it is because fortunately we've never had to use it! But the price is competitive and the coverage seems to be as well. I hope your daughter is doing well.

Thank you for sharing this!! I couldn't figure out where to find it on the USAA site.

we have found Allianz insurance. To be less than USSA. when my husband compared and discussed it with USSA rep. They said benefits appeared to be the Same. we never booked a cruise with them as we find better p ices elsewhere

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing. Been USAA member since 1995, and love their products, EXCEPT the mortgage:)

Kindly clarify why it's suggest purchasing USAA Travel Insurance within 21-days of sailing. Thanks!

The great thing about 3rd party insurance is that you can insure everything, not just the cruise, and you choose your level of coverage. It's also a lot cheaper than going directly through the cruise line. I'm pretty sure you can purchase it at any time prior to the trip, however it will only cover preexisting conditions if it's purchased within 21 days. USAA's travel insurance comes highly recommended. I will be using it myself for an upcoming cruise. The peace of mind is definitely worth it IMO.

I purchased insurance through USAA for my son (active duty AF) for our last cruise. The cruise had been booked through a TA (not USAA). As luck would have it, he received orders that prevented him from taking the cruise. Of course, this happened right after the final payment was made.

The claim was submitted to the insurance company. It was paid without any problems.

We were sorry he couldn't join us but quite happy to receive the money that was paid out for the cruise. The other person in the cabin got to keep the cabin without incurring any additional cost. So, it all worked out.

I must be doing something wrong. When I log onto USAA and it takes me to the 3rd party (I think it is travel Insured, but not 100% on the name). Anyway, it was higher than Carnival insurance price. Has that happened to anyone?

I must be doing something wrong. When I log onto USAA and it takes me to the 3rd party (I think it is travel Insured, but not 100% on the name). Anyway, it was higher than Carnival insurance price. Has that happened to anyone?

it is a 3rd party, however, does carnival cover everything that USAA's partner does? do a side by side to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing. Been USAA member since 1995, and love their products, EXCEPT the mortgage:)

Kindly clarify why it's suggest purchasing USAA Travel Insurance within 21-days of sailing. Thanks!

You can get travel insurance through Travel Guard that you buy right up to the cruise and it will cover pre-existing conditions. It is under "My Travel Guard". Been a member of USAA since 1984. They are easy to work with too.

• 5 months later...

Be sure you have covered cost up to $25,000. for air evacuation. Otherwise, heart problem etc and you'll be out the additional expense.It is not worth the savings to skip it or get less.

From Durban S Africa to NY it can cost $125,000.

Life insurance is a company betting you'll die and you betting you won't.