CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hey all,

Here we go again!!

Since the previous thread was soooo long, I am starting anew!

Feel free to ask your Cape Liberty and even NYC questions here!

Now that we have Quantum, and soon Liberty and then Anthem, not to mention Summit for a while, and a couple stops by Serenade, things should remain busy!!

Last week, before Quantum, I did have a chance to check a couple hotels and the Courtyard on Glimcher Realty way told me they have a park n cruise package, but it does not include transfers.

They suggested that a car service/cab was $60 and that was an all inclusive figure, save for tip. (Meaning, that included the tolls....)

Just food for thought.....I do like that hotel and the staff was quite friendly.

Also, the garage at Cape Liberty does NOT appear to even be under construction....though the pier itself is nice, and I boarded pretty quickly.....

Hi Meg,:) I always enjoy this thread even though I don't sail from here

too often;)

You will have to let us know about the Princess cruise.....I have never

sailed with them.

I stayed at that Courtyard a few years ago and I booked a private

car to take me to the ship. For one night, that area is just fine:)

Thanks Lois...and yes, I will probably do a review of Princess (or HAL, not 100% sure, but looking like Emerald Princess......hmmm)

We prefer to suggest the hotels that are South of EWR, as they're newer, easier to get to, safer and at least there are a few dining options, along with the outlet mall....

I thought is was helpful when I read though the prior threads to have a link to the prior threads at the start of the next one, so here is a link to Version 3

Thanks to everyone's help on these threads. We recently did the Quantum, and our first trip to the New York area. The help and suggestions given here were soooooo helpful.

I thought is was helpful when I read though the prior threads to have a link to the prior threads at the start of the next one, so here is a link to Version 3

Thanks to everyone's help on these threads. We recently did the Quantum, and our first trip to the New York area. The help and suggestions given here were soooooo helpful.

You're welcome...and probably a good idea to have a link to the old one, for reference...

But, searching this one should be easier.....

Guest maddycat
Last week, before Quantum, I did have a chance to check a couple hotels and the Courtyard on Glimcher Realty way told me they have a park n cruise package, but it does not include transfers.

They suggested that a car service/cab was $60 and that was an all inclusive figure, save for tip. (Meaning, that included the tolls....)

Just food for thought.....I do like that hotel and the staff was quite friendly.

Also, the garage at Cape Liberty does NOT appear to even be under construction....though the pier itself is nice, and I boarded pretty quickly.....

Any speculation on when they will begin construction?

We just booked the Norwegian gem out of NYC on June 13 and are probably going to be driving from michigan. Any options for parking besides the port itself? We're open to parking outside the city and using public transportation.

You can park at the NY Waterway Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ (just across the river from Manhattan) for about $15 per day, and take the ferry for $9 per person one way. The ferry docks on the Manhattan side of the river about a half mile south of Pier 88, where the Gem docks. You can walk it on a nice day, or take a short inexpensive taxi ride to the pier.

I would assume coming from Michigan you're going to drive in the day before your cruise. Do you have a hotel reserved? One possible place to stay is in Parsippany, NJ, an hour or less from NY (or the Port Imperial ferry). There are a good number of hotels in the area, many of which have inexpensive rates on weekends. Any Hotwire 3* or higher hotel in Parsippany should be a decent place to stay.

Edited by njhorseman

Hi everyone!

We are on the June 4th RCI liberty of the seas cruise. We're super excited but it's our first time out of Cape liberty. We're coming in a couple days earlier to visit NYC, but I'm not sure what's the easiest and cheapest way to get from Manhattan to the port. We have 2 kids, 5 and 9, but we have no problem taking the train. I read on some older forums that RCI offers complimentary shuttles from the Bayonne train station to Cape liberty. However I think that's old information, can anyone confirm that?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cruise cruise cruise! :)

You have several options from New York City to Cape Liberty. Do you know where you are staying in Manhattan? Can you manage your luggage?

1) Car service like Dial7 or Carmelimo - in the $100 range.

2).PATH from Herald Square (33rd & 6th) to Hoboken. Accessible entrance next to Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St. Fare is $2.75, children 5 and under free. Elevator up to the street/station level in Hoboken. Light rail is on the far left of the train platforms. Buy a ticket from the machines $2.10 for adults, $1.05 for children 5-11. Take the train to Bayonne 34th Street. Call a cab to get into the port. No free shuttle.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Don't know what the cab will charge for 4 people, but it should be about $16.

This could be a fun ride for the kids. Outbound trains are uncrowded in the mornings, so seats and luggage are not an issue.

Edited by 138east

We are staying at Country Inn & Suites in Newark for 2 days before sailing and I thought taking a shuttle to New York main sights would be a good route. But now I'm thinking of a way to get to free Staten Island ferry from the hotel. Is this feasible to do?

We are staying at Country Inn & Suites in Newark for 2 days before sailing and I thought taking a shuttle to New York main sights would be a good route. But now I'm thinking of a way to get to free Staten Island ferry from the hotel. Is this feasible to do?

There's no easy or inexpensive way to get from that area to the Staten Island ferry. Nor is there a shuttle from the hotel to get into NY City for sightseeing. Probably the best way to get to NY City is to take the free hotel shuttle back to EWR, take the AirTrain from EWR to the NJ Transit Newark Airport station and board a NJ Transit train that will take you to New York Penn Station. Do it in the reverse order when you're ready to return to the hotel.

The AirTrain/NJ Transit ticket will cost $12.50 per adult, one way. If you're a senior age 62 or older, the cost is $8.75.

I'm assuming you are flying in to Newark Airport and won't have a car. You can get to Manhattan to take the ferry to Staten Isand, but there's no easy way to get to Staten Island to take the ferry to Manhattan.

There's really no "shuttle" to NY main sights. To get to Manhattan from Country Inns you have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, take the free Airtrain to the Newark airport train station, and then take a NJTransit train to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan ($12.50/pp each way) or to Newark Penn Station to take PATH to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan($11.00/ pp each way).

Could you tell us more about your sightseeing objectives in NYC? What are you paying for Country Inns tax included? Does the price include round trip port transportation?

Don't have regrets about the Hampton Inn. It would take you at least an hour to get just to downtown Manhattan and another half hour to get to midtown.

By staying at Newark Airport you have the option of doing a big circle - train to midtown, subway downtown, and PATH back to Newark Penn Station and train back to the airport.

You have several options from New York City to Cape Liberty. Do you know where you are staying in Manhattan? Can you manage your luggage?

1) Car service like Dial7 or Carmelimo - in the $100 range.

2).PATH from Herald Square (33rd & 6th) to Hoboken. Accessible entrance next to Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St. Fare is $2.75, children 5 and under free. Elevator up to the street/station level in Hoboken. Light rail is on the far left of the train platforms. Buy a ticket from the machines $2.10 for adults, $1.05 for children 5-11. Take the train to Bayonne 34th Street. Call a cab to get into the port. No free shuttle.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Don't know what the cab will charge for 4 people, but it should be about $16.

This could be a fun ride for the kids. Outbound trains are uncrowded in the mornings, so seats and luggage are not an issue.

Thank you so much for the info. This really helps!

Life's short, cruise more!

Hello all,

So what is the advice on getting from EWR to Port Liberty for 4 of us, cab or car service?

Thanks

Four people plus luggage can't be accommodated in a standard taxi or a sedan booked from a car service. I would book an SUV or min van through a car service.

Hello all,

So what is the advice on getting from EWR to Port Liberty for 4 of us, cab or car service?

Thanks

Some family and friends of ours are flying into EWR and then going to the port. They booked the shuttle service directly from RCI for $28.50 per person each way. Might be a little pricey compared to other means of transportation, but they are elderly and I think it's the most convenient for them. Hope that helps.