Wearing Bathrobes to the breakfast buffets

Revdoll

On a number of our cruises, we have seen people show up to the breakfast buffet wearing their carnival bathrobes. We've always thought it is tacky to go through the line in a bathrobe. I'm always fearful their robe will have a "malfunction" while in line. I can only imagine that would be quite awkward for everyone involved.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a family that each of the 4 days we ate at the Lido buffet arrived in robes, the man and the little boy were not to concerned with tying their robes tightly and it was obvious (disgustingly so) that neither was wearing anything (on top) underneath their robes. It was very tasteless. Literally.

I think my absolute worst would be jammy pants and a t-shirt with like flip flops and a ball cap, though each day I got up, showered (or at least washed my face and wet and re-did my hair) got dressed and went to breakfast.

I think that's the respectful thing to do. It's how I was raised.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably a little more conservative in this. Yes, I think the buffet is a restaurant, just because it's attached to your hotel room is no reason to not dress as you would in any other restaurant. But I also don't like those folks walking around inside without shirts on or just bikinis and nothing else. Totally offensive? Maybe not but I don't enjoy ending up in an elevator 6" away someone that needs more clothes or brushing past them in a narrow hallway.

Coming to the buffet in robes or with pillow hair or with morning breath, and sleepily scratching the head and yawning in the queue is a severe lack of respect to other cruisers.

Some say, 'What does it matter what others do?'. It matters because we – the other cruisers – have to tolerate it, see it, even smell it.

Be a grot at home; not when cruising.

• 1 month later...

its distasteful,disrespectful,lacking of respect,and smacks of pure boganism.Just roll your eyes,smile in the knowledge that you are dressed appropriately,and hope they stick to carnival and p&o (aus):)

Im also concerned that im worrying about the worrying of the worriers.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

W e noticed this on our New Zealand,Austrailia cruise in Feb.This should not be allowed...It is offensive and lacks class...Not sure why the cruise lines allow it...Next women will wear peignoir sets to the breakfast buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Gee people on CC spend a lot of time worrying about what others do.

When those ill mannered bottom feeders that think it's acceptable to look and act like a 'cruise slug' by wearing a bathrobe to any meal served in a public space on a cruise ship perhaps IT IS TIME TO WORRY. I doubt that I'm alone in suggesting that these fashion plate bathrobe bandits leave their early morning fashion shows in their cabin. Perhaps it's time to inform them that they can call room service and take off their bathrobe while eating. Doesn't get much better than that! If I've offended some CC members with this post - so be it. It needed to be said.

Sorry but I've noticed lots of people doing early morning swims then throwing their bathrobe on after toweling off before going to the breakfast buffet. .. not really seeing a big difference between this and a cover up over said swimsuit. Totally different, however, if there's nothing under said bathrobe.

• 3 weeks later...

i've seen people fresh from the spa or pool in robes - doesn't bother me. ...no different than a swimsuit coverup IMO - and in fact, covers more than just a sarong.

as long as they're wearing footwear and are covering all the appropriate parts, thats all i care about. i've seen it at all inclusives too. it's not exclusively a cruise thing.

Read on another thread that some object to wearing robe to and from spa. I would never wear it to an eating or drinking area. Sometimes all the spa lockers are being used. This is especially true on women's side. Any thoughts on this issue?

Sorry but I've noticed lots of people doing early morning swims then throwing their bathrobe on after toweling off before going to the breakfast buffet. .. not really seeing a big difference between this and a cover up over said swimsuit. Totally different, however, if there's nothing under said bathrobe.

Those that I have seen do that? Go to the pool. Leave their towels and go to breakfast and place towels and open books to "save their seats" when they get done with their breakfast.

My cure??? I have removed towel, sat on the seat, read their book. When they come back and bitch? I just apologize, close the book and move to a quiet area and watch their frustration while they fumble thru the book to find where they left off with their reading. They don't seem to do it twice. :D

Those that I have seen do that? Go to the pool. Leave their towels and go to breakfast and place towels and open books to "save their seats" when they get done with their breakfast.

My cure??? I have removed towel, sat on the seat, read their book. When they come back and bitch? I just apologize, close the book and move to a quiet area and watch their frustration while they fumble thru the book to find where they left off with their reading. They don't seem to do it twice. :D

Ha ha ha. I think it's the little touches like this that really make a cruise special. Well done!

Ha ha ha. I think it's the little touches like this that really make a cruise special. Well done!

Like the time I entered the elevator. Three young boys were sitting on the floor and pushing buttons to see if they could keep them all lit. I had to step over them to get in. There were several adults standing, backed up to the walls and all had disapproving looks on their faces. My solution???

I carry my cell phone only for the clock. I took my cell phone, pretended to dial a number, waited a few seconds and then said in a loud voice "security? we have a problem on elevator 4."

Not only did they leave at the next floor but for the rest of the cruise when this "young gang" saw me, they disappeared. Problem solved.

I also received thanks from the adults that didn't bother to speak out sooner.

I have many others also. Too many to list, but I do have fun on my cruises no matter what comes along. Buffet lines? Don't get me started. :D