Uber nyc

jaynak

Without getting into any UBER controversy, let me say, I am a convert. Our experience LGA to Manhattan, and Manhattan to Red Hook was nothing short of phenomenal. Approx $40 per trip, waited less than 5 min, clean cars, professional drivers and what an amazing APP. We couldn't have been happier.

Uber & Lyft are both regulated in NYC and subject to plenty of oversights, just like licensed yellow & green taxis and car services.

When using them, be very careful that you use the official APPS and not be steered by quasi-official looking "Uber" dispatchers with a "clipboard" at the area airports ... haven't read/seen/heard of any similar issues at the ports, yet :eek:.

See this recent local news investigation into complaints lodged - unsuspecting users had been scammed - http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/05/fake-uber-drivers/

Excellent advice MKing. The UBER APP tells you the model and colour of the car coming for you and even the licence number and name of the driver. Quite an incredible system, and very user friendly, even for a dim bulb like me!

Have never used to Uber.... have never been to NYC on my own. We've always been with relatives who live there, so I have some questions.

From Newark NJ airport to hotel (close to Central Park/Broadway), what is the best mode of transport? Approximate cost? I had looked earlier and there is a bus from the Airport to the Port Authority Station. From there we could do a subway or taxi about 10 blocks to the hotel. Do you have any opinions on this option?

Other option is Uber. Is Uber decent with all the traffic? Approximate time? Approximate cost?

Edited by Travel To Be Free

Have never used to Uber.... have never been to NYC on my own. We've always been with relatives who live there, so I have some questions.

From Newark NJ airport to hotel (close to Central Park/Broadway), what is the best mode of transport? Approximate cost? I had looked earlier and there is a bus from the Airport to the Port Authority Station. From there we could do a subway or taxi about 10 blocks to the hotel. Do you have any opinions on this option?

Other option is Uber. Is Uber decent with all the traffic? Approximate time? Approximate cost?

The airport bus and taxi is a recommended option. Car service like dial7 and Carmellimo are also recommended. There has not been enough feedback on using Uber to go from NJ to NY. I'm thinking a NJ licensed Uber might not be licensed in NY which means they would have to deadhead back to NJ for another fare.

The airport bus and taxi is a recommended option. Car service like dial7 and Carmellimo are also recommended. There has not been enough feedback on using Uber to go from NJ to NY. I'm thinking a NJ licensed Uber might not be licensed in NY which means they would have to deadhead back to NJ for another fare.

Of course a NJ "licensed" Uber in most cases isn't even licensed in NJ since the state has failed to pass the necessary laws and regulations needed to make Uber legal. This makes taking Uber in NJ a risky proposition as there's no guarantee that the driver is properly licensed, insured and has passed a background check.

On the other hand, NY City-based Uber is licensed, regulated and legal.

Edited by njhorseman

• 7 months later...

Is it acceptable to hail rideshare for say, a 1 mile drive in NYC midtown to avoid a 15-20 min walk in hot weather? I know the apps purposely hide this type of information from the driver at time of booking so I'd get picked up, but I'm also not out to reduce driver profit if longer runs are typically the norm and net them more money. Is Lyft or Uber popular enough in NJ that if I wanted to get a rideshare from the Light rail to Port Liberty that I wouldn't need to wait more than 5 min (meaning there are drivers near-by and not driving far for pick up)? Which happens to be more popular in NYC and NJ these days? Or do most people drive for both?

I did happen to see that Uber & Lyft was legalized in NJ May 1,2017 and requires background checks. It also adds some level of insurance for the passenger.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/02/5_things_you_should_know_about_njs_new_uber_and_ly.html

Is it acceptable to hail rideshare for say, a 1 mile drive in NYC midtown to avoid a 15-20 min walk in hot weather? I know the apps purposely hide this type of information from the driver at time of booking so I'd get picked up, but I'm also not out to reduce driver profit if longer runs are typically the norm and net them more money. Is Lyft or Uber popular enough in NJ that if I wanted to get a rideshare from the Light rail to Port Liberty that I wouldn't need to wait more than 5 min (meaning there are drivers near-by and not driving far for pick up)? Which happens to be more popular in NYC and NJ these days? Or do most people drive for both?

I did happen to see that Uber & Lyft was legalized in NJ May 1,2017 and requires background checks. It also adds some level of insurance for the passenger.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/02/5_things_you_should_know_about_njs_new_uber_and_ly.html

It's fine, but I'd make sure to tip for short rides. I know people in my suburban NJ town who use Uber as a designated driver, and I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride from home to the airport.