Discrimination Issue against Solos

kruisey

A lady on our roll call has been filling up two groups of 10 for Chefs Table stating for couples to contact her.She has filled two sets of 10.Princess advertises Chefs Table will be given in groups made up of 10.

I have felt strongly about this and today written on the roll call that Chefs Table is available to all taken in groups of 10 and can be booked directly with Princess when one boards.

The lady should have said made up of a group of 10,not for couples only.

Some married people are uncomfortable around single people. I would just let it go and book Chef's Table on your own if that's something you're interested in doing.

Roz

Some married people are uncomfortable around single people. I would just let it go and book Chef's Table on your own if that's something you're interested in doing.

Roz

Why would they feel uncomfortable...I am an 80 year old widow I am certainly no threat with all my wrinkles;)

Do you think she is specifically trying to exclude solos or just thinks in couples because she is part of one?

Are you the only solo on your roll call?

There are just a few more.It is a big Roll Call.I have mentioned that Chefs Table is promoted by Princess in a groups of 10.

This person is still promoting for couples?

When you're trying to fill a table or an excursion with an even number of people, it's just easier to do it with couples vs. singles. I say this as a solo cruiser, and I've run into this before. I don't think it's necessarily hostility towards solos, but as Scrapnana already pointed out, people in couples tend to think in couples terms.

Roz

I'll go one step further than Roz and ask why you want to dine with people who've already shown they don't want you? This is another passenger not the cruise line, there's going to be a lot of people who for one reason or another won't like you, why worry about them?

I'll go one step further than Roz and ask why you want to dine with people who've already shown they don't want you? This is another passenger not the cruise line, there's going to be a lot of people who for one reason or another won't like you, why worry about them?

That is pretty strong stuff.Do not believe for one minute that is true.Were you kidding making remarks like this?

I am talking about one individual who publicly asked for couples only.

Edited by kruisey

You apparently have some kind of ax to grind, and nothing we say is going to change your mind. Please, for your own piece of mind, just move on. Life is too short to concentrate on petty issues. Enjoy your cruise.

Roz

You apparently have some kind of ax to grind, and nothing we say is going to change your mind. Please, for your own piece of mind, just move on. Life is too short to concentrate on petty issues. Enjoy your cruise.

Roz

Petty you say?

Are you a solo cruiser?

Where did you get issues from?

Sadly there is some prejudice against singles on cruises. Both my wife and I have had to go on excursions or meals at times by ourselves. Staff and passengers do tend to treat you differently. It's one of those "get used to it things".

Many solos especially in my age group where it is a known fact that woman outlive their men like myself.It does feel very comfortable being a couple on a cruise.:)

I second the notion of not desiring to be where you aren't wanted. The world is big, the cruise ship is big. If you can't find people that want your company then be your own company. Don't judge couples for only wanting to dine with other couples. Right, wrong, different or indifferent - it remains their prerogative.

If it's that important to you, why not take charge and start a table for 10 solos. of course, that might prompt some couples to complain about discrimination.

If the cruise line offers the service, why not book a solo seat thru the cruise line instead of organizing with a small group of internet people on a message board roll call? It's not your cruise line "discriminating" against you, it's a internet poster sitting in their living room somewhere. I wouldn't take offense to that, but instead, move on to some of the other 4000 people you'll be traveling with.

If the cruise line offers the service, why not book a solo seat thru the cruise line instead of organizing with a small group of internet people on a message board roll call? It's not your cruise line "discriminating" against you, it's a internet poster sitting in their living room somewhere. I wouldn't take offense to that, but instead, move on to some of the other 4000 people you'll be traveling with.

Agree. The roll call people are not running the ship.

Build a bridge and walk on over it. (Or a gangplank!).

I don't rely on others to sort out groups etc - if you want to do Chefs Table - do it - book it yourself and do it.

Or - as a grown up - you could post on the roll call discussion and ask if there are any other solo's who would like to make up the numbers with you.

Really - this is not a complex life changing decision.

And personally as a solo traveller and solo live-r - I have never witnessed nor experienced "discrimination" from couples. Nor have I ever heard (or heard of) couples who are uncomfortable around solos.

Humans are humans. Some will just be uncomfortable around other humans regardless of their race, creed, gender, life choices, marital status etc And others wont.

Before any couple that discriminates against singles......Sit at dinner with couples.

It was just this one person expressing couples

I would never go to chiefs table because I am gluten intolerant so the chief would have to have made some special food just for me.

Before any couple that discriminates against singles......Sit at dinner with couples.

It was just this one person expressing couples

I would never go to chiefs table because I am gluten intolerant so the chief would have to have made some special food just for me.

If you experience "discrimination" maybe you should think about whether you yourself are projecting something on to the people around you.

And sorry - thats no excuse to not enjoy Chefs Table. I have life threatening food allergies and I have done many chef's tables. They have no issue at all making a special menu. You are a paying customer at the end of the day.

Back up a minute-

In your first post, you said that you were upset because a lady on your roll call was organizing Chef's Tables from the people participating in your roll call and they needed to be booked in groups of 10. She (is likely) trying to fill a table with people who met each other off an internet board and (in theory) have already talked with each other and found each other compatible (rather than blindly sitting with people and hoping you like them). You were upset she didn't offer that seat at the Chef's table to a single and took great offense to it.

When we suggested you instead book a seat thru the cruise line and not your roll call, you are now saying that you would never do that activity because of (fill in the blank).

So, do you want to enjoy a meal at the Chef's Table or do you want to force another passenger trying to organize something she would enjoy to include you or do you want to project an argument for the sake of arguing? It's no longer clear.

• 1 month later...
Back up a minute-

In your first post, you said that you were upset because a lady on your roll call was organizing Chef's Tables from the people participating in your roll call and they needed to be booked in groups of 10. She (is likely) trying to fill a table with people who met each other off an internet board and (in theory) have already talked with each other and found each other compatible (rather than blindly sitting with people and hoping you like them). You were upset she didn't offer that seat at the Chef's table to a single and took great offense to it.

When we suggested you instead book a seat thru the cruise line and not your roll call, you are now saying that you would never do that activity because of (fill in the blank).

So, do you want to enjoy a meal at the Chef's Table or do you want to force another passenger trying to organize something she would enjoy to include you or do you want to project an argument for the sake of arguing? It's no longer clear.

I think we all know the answer to this.

So we now have a thread about one individual who was looking for couples to share a dinner who none of us will ever meet or deal with. Bravo.

A lady on our roll call has been filling up two groups of 10 for Chefs Table stating for couples to contact her.She has filled two sets of 10.Princess advertises Chefs Table will be given in groups made up of 10.

I have felt strongly about this and today written on the roll call that Chefs Table is available to all taken in groups of 10 and can be booked directly with Princess when one boards.

The lady should have said made up of a group of 10,not for couples only.

Not commenting on anyone's particular issue but point out that as widower who became a Solo traveller a few years go, I researched what cruise line might best suit my needs . Seabourn turned out to be a winner for me as they made sure I was invited to a mixed couples and solo table each evening. I am trying Silverseas this Fall. I am a more comfortable traveling as a solo and I expect to fit in once again in the general world of couples and solos at sea. Like every couple might be different, so too are the solo traveller. It just takes time to find the right fit.

I sail solo and have attended many "Chef's Tables" over the years.......I usually book it after I board the ship and whatever other people are there are there....it is usually couples but I don't care......but as i said, I usually book it for myself......and I usually end up having a great time:)

Not commenting on anyone's particular issue but point out that as widower who became a Solo traveller a few years go, I researched what cruise line might best suit my needs . Seabourn turned out to be a winner for me as they made sure I was invited to a mixed couples and solo table each evening. I am trying Silverseas this Fall. I am a more comfortable traveling as a solo and I expect to fit in once again in the general world of couples and solos at sea. Like every couple might be different, so too are the solo traveller. It just takes time to find the right fit.

I think I would get along nicely on Seabourn too, but my pocket isn't agreeing :). Good you NC, maybe one day I'll sail with you :).

Kruisey, you say you would never book a Chef's Table because you are gluten intolerant. So, I just don't understand why you are so upset. Yes, it is thoughtless of the person doing the organizing but personally, I would let this one go and not lose another minute of brain activity over it.

If tables have to be booked by 10, then you should also realize that your presence would certainly complicate the issue. You could have posted on the roll call that you were very interested (which you are not) and ask if any one had an odd group you could even out. There might be a group of three or five that obviously are not soloing but are also excluded by the person.