How is the coffee on Coral Princess?

JudyD222

I have not seen much about the coffee but did see one post that said the coffee was instant. I find that hard to believe. I don't drink a ton of coffee so normally I would not need to purchase the coffee package. Anyone have any information?

Thanks.

Judy

I have not seen much about the coffee but did see one post that said the coffee was instant. I find that hard to believe. I don't drink a ton of coffee so normally I would not need to purchase the coffee package. Anyone have any information?

Thanks.

Judy

Most of the coffee comes from syrup . You can buy brewed coffee in the International Cafe.

• 4 months later...

Thanks.

Judy

I am following this whole thing...I didn't even know that coffee from syrup existed ...

so if my husband wants brewed we have to have the card... he drinks about 6 cups a day...O MY:o

I am following this whole thing...I didn't even know that coffee from syrup existed ...

so if my husband wants brewed we have to have the card... he drinks about 6 cups a day...O MY:o

As mentioned above, the brewed coffee from IC is good (IMHO). If your cruise is in the next year or so, you may qualify for the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP). Covers all drinks and bottled water (under $10) and all

the types of coffee drinks at the IC. Might be worth looking into!

Best way to approach coffee on a Princess ship IMHO...board the ship, go directly to the buffet, fill a cup with coffee, doctor it (optional) and drink it. If it tastes OK and you're not interested in specialty coffee, you just saved $15+. If you don't like the taste, go to the International Cafe or find the table in the buffet where they're selling the coffee card and buy one.:D

DH drinks 4-5 cups of coffee a day while on a cruise and he says it tastes like Taster's Choice. YMMV

"Coffee from syrup" is exactly the same as instant coffee, except that they didn't cook it all the way to a powder. To me, it is better than instant, not quite as good as fresh. (At home, I grind the beans right before brewing, which is better than buying ground coffee.)

Coral and most of the Princess ships use coffee concentrate in the MDR and buffets, quality is variable but it's weaker and lighter roast style coffee (I haven't sailed Regal/Royal, but word is that's fresh brewed there).

As of a month ago the brewed coffee at the IC was fine, again weaker side and lighter roast, not my style but fine (I'd describe as close to a freshly opened folgers/maxwell style coffee). Same lighter roast beans were being ground for their espresso drinks (NB I got a scoop of beans and was huffing them for an hour during a wine tasting... so I paid a lot of attention to those beans clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703). Using that lighter style roast will give espresso a little less depth than a traditional dark roast espresso bean, but beans were ground right at time of tamping for shots being pulled.

My personal preference is an italian style darker roast for drip coffee, but just my personal preference.

I've been drinking the "regular" coffee on Princess ships for the past 13 years, and, IMO, unless one is a "coffee snob", the free coffee is usually okay, and a coffee card is unnecessary unless you intend to drink specialty coffees.

At one time, making your own coffee syrup was considered sort of a gourmet thing, and special devices were available to purchase for making coffee syrup at home. It was called cold brewed coffee, and my husband loved it.

As mentioned above, the brewed coffee from IC is good (IMHO). If your cruise is in the next year or so, you may qualify for the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP). Covers all drinks and bottled water (under $10) and all

the types of coffee drinks at the IC. Might be worth looking into!

I saw on Facebook that there was a Sip and Sail promotion that includes the All-Inclusive Beverage Package. I contacted my travel agent and she was able to add it to my existing reservation; I didn't have to cancel and re-book. The promotion also includes dinner for two in a specialty restaurant. So, I am HAPPY!!

Judy

I normally only drink coffee in the mornings. We were in a full suite so we had breakfast at Sabatini's every morning except on the disembark day & it was not open. I had read about the "syrup" coffee! The coffee at Sabatini's was good. I never asked if it was fresh brewed but it sure taste like it. They had fresh squeezed orange juice also. So the last morning we went to the MDR, and I will say the coffee was pretty bad! I noticed a few folks had brought in go cups from the IC. I did have decaf Irish coffee a couple of nights after dinner in the MDR. Not bad but maybe the whisky masked the bad coffee taste!

(Coral Princess May 20-27)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few comments.

When I think of syrup, I think of something you put on pancakes. The coffee is really prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate. Concentrates are widely used in the restaurant business and come in many different brands. If you dine in restaurants, you probably have had coffee prepared from liquid concentrate at one time or another.

Brewed coffee on Princess ships is prepared with grounds very similar to the home drip coffee makers. It is available for purchase at the I.C. espresso bar, or free with a current coffee card.

This posting is about the Coral Princess. Just to mention the Royal Class ships do not use the liquid concentrate. They have high volume use equipment that brews coffee by the cup from grounds.

A few comments.

When I think of syrup, I think of something you put on pancakes. The coffee is really prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate. Concentrates are widely used in the restaurant business and come in many different brands. If you dine in restaurants, you probably have had coffee prepared from liquid concentrate at one time or another.

Brewed coffee on Princess ships is prepared with grounds very similar to the home drip coffee makers. It is available for purchase at the I.C. espresso bar, or free with a current coffee card.

This posting is about the Coral Princess. Just to mention the Royal Class ships do not use the liquid concentrate. They have high volume use equipment that brews coffee by the cup from grounds.

You could put it on pancakes.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the replies; I really appreciate it. The coffee card is fairly inexpensive so I will probably make that investment. Coffee from syrup really doesn't sound very good. :)Judy

Coffee onboard ships was never good, in my opinion. that syrup stuff is horrible. the coffee I had from the International café was excellent, and might try that again this cruise.

• 3 months later...

We just got off of the Coral on Saturday. The coffee in the Horizon Court buffet is made from Nescafé syrup (or concentrate if you will). I am not a coffee drinker, but me darling wife is and she did not like the Nescafé coffee at all. We bought a coffee card for c. $35 (including gratuity). It is good for unlimited brewed coffee at the International Cafe which my wife loved. The card had fifteen punches which can be used for specialty coffees only on the cruise on which it is purchased. Any unused punches may be used for brewed coffee only on future cruises.

Are there coffee makers in the rooms? Are they Keurigs or regular ones with filters. Was thinking of bringing my own. Thanks in advance.

We had a balcony cabin on the Coral for the past two weeks and there was no coffee maker in the cabin. I can not speak for what might be in the suites.