Cruisetour 3B Anchorage May 22, 2017

Beaferd

Royal Caribbean Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Alyeska, Seward and boarding the ship May 26th. This is our first ever cruisetour so have no idea what to expect on the land portion.

Our tour was the 6 night and included all of these land tour cities.

Anchorage had no preplanned tours. We booked a Segway Tour on our own prior to arrival.

In Denali we arrived by train around noon. Included in the package was the NHT. You could upgrade to the TWT for additional charge. We wanted to go to Eielsen so we booked that on our own ahead of time as well.

The following morning we booked a class 3/4 water rafting trip on our own prior to leaving home. There were a few options available thru RCI.

The hotel in Talkeetna was nice but there were no included tours. We took the free shuttle in to town and had lunch & browsed the shops. The television show Northern Exposure was based on this town.

Alyeska is actually Girdwood which is at the base of the Alyeska Mountain. It is a luxury hotel the nicest we stayed at. The only think included there was a free pass up on the tram to to top. You could book other excursion thru the hotel but they were very expensive.

We took the free shuttle to town and are at Double Musky which had been featured in Food Network. At the top of the mountain there was another expensive restaurant you could eat at with reservations.

On the way from Anchorage to Seward (by motorcoach) we stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center along the way which was included.

The last morning in Seward we had booked a walk to a Glacier thru the hotel before we left home. We met back up with the group afterwards and were dropped at the ship to board.

No meals whatsoever are included in the land package.

There are tons of pictures, menus, excursions offered & pricing in my trip review located in my signature. Or you can look at it day by day stop by stop on my blog also linked below. Just search Alaska within the blog.

Cindy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal Caribbean Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Alyeska, Seward and boarding the ship May 26th. This is our first ever cruisetour so have no idea what to expect on the land portion.

What are you looking for out of this trip and what feature attracted you to choosing this tour? This is still too little information, as I above suggested, copying and posting the exact cruise tour will yield more information. It's vital to know, how many nights, and mode of transit. Big differences with details.

Have you looked at what you are going to do when you get there? Any interests?

In Denali we arrived by train around noon. Included in the package was the NHT. You could upgrade to the TWT for additional charge. We wanted to go to Eielsen so we booked that on our own ahead of time as well.

This does not pertain to the OP, as this would have been from Fairbanks. They do not list going there.

We are doing the 7B tour that leaves from Fairbanks on May 20. We may cross paths somewhere along the way. If you download your cruise documents, there's a bit more detail in those but nearly as much as I'd like to see. Arrival and departure times are simply described as morning, afternoon, evening. I was able to google and find the train schedules which helped a bit. In someone's blog I found a picture of the tours that were offered. It looks like you're given a list when you start the land portion and you can chose from what is offered or do your own thing. I've started making a list of possible things to do on our own in each place so that we will have options. Honestly nothing I saw on the tour list seemed that exciting.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to do on the land portion and what to do on the cruise portion. It seems like you could do trains, sea plains, salmon grills, etc at all the stops.

I too am doing 3B southbound on the radiance July 3rd. I've asked RC how the pre tour works but wasn't given much info. They said that a naturalist will get to know us and suggest what is good for us. Will these be yours we need to pay for as I'm reading here? The pre tour was an extra approx 2000.00 so I assumed everything was covered. Am I wrong? Trying to figure out how the pre tour is structured, what is covered and what we will need to pay for Thanks

I too am doing 3B southbound on the radiance July 3rd. I've asked RC how the pre tour works but wasn't given much info. They said that a naturalist will get to know us and suggest what is good for us. Will these be yours we need to pay for as I'm reading here? The pre tour was an extra approx 2000.00 so I assumed everything was covered. Am I wrong? Trying to figure out how the pre tour is structured, what is covered and what we will need to pay for Thanks

The ONLY inclusions are specifically listed, which is sometimes only the Denali tour- of which the Natural History tour is worthless- you don't even get into the park. The Tundra Wilderness Tour, is simply way overpriced, but a better option for those who don't want any effort in getting a superior tour.

What is "everything" that you are assuming? Sorry but if meals, no, never, unless specifically mentioned. Budget 50% more that you would at home. If you are in Fairbanks or Anchorage, these are your only "grocery store" options again if you make the effort yourself to get there.

It's disturbing to see all these questions from cruise tour purchasers, within such short time before the visits. It's not obvious with the vague descriptions and enhanced photos. Every season, it's the same with uninformed purchasers with sometimes very different assumptions. At least being on this board you'll get clear accurate information. It's of benefit to know the details in advance and even better before purchasing.

I always see very surprised visitors in Talkeetna. hearing them, I always know those who were on the NHT as example. Usually starts at the Roadhouse with the "I don't know what the big deal at Denali is". Sad.

We were also on a RC cruise tour with the same stops, although the cruise number I think was different. Maybe ours was a couple nights longer. I was very disappointed in the lack of information form RCCL ahead of time, but quite pleased with the tour itself once we were on the coach. I thought it was well organized and fun. I could try to answer any specific questions about RCCL cruisetours at those stops if you have any.

Seems to me most everyone is in agreement that RCCL doesn't offer any insight to the cruisetour packages they offer. Yes perhaps it is poor planning on our part for not doing more research prior to booking but I have always trusted RCCL to be there for me and up until now they have been. We just want to see some of the interior of Alaska and the description on our tour seem to fit the bill. My questions are more about what to expect each morning, what kind of timeframe will we be working with. Will there be time allowed for breakfast or will we be rushed, we're not super early risers but can if we have to. Are there coffee makers and mini fridges in the rooms, are we limited to our luggage we can take, will we actually go into Denali National Park, what kind of time do we have in each location, how much time is spent on the train/ motor coach? We have already deviated from a portion of the cruisetour by booking the train from Girdwood to Seward rather than riding in the motor coach.

As far as tours planned we are more interested in sightseeing. We understand that the meals are separate which is no problem and I'm sure we are allowed to pack snacks for along the way.

I appreciate everyone's input so far but it is clear to me that a post cruisetour review in detail will be beneficial to others wishing to do these cruisetours. We are very thankful that we have the opportunity to do this and are looking forward to what ever is ahead of us in Alaska.. We have already completed 2 Alaska cruises so that portion is all mapped out, its simply the land portion that is a mystery to us. I guess mystery is good sometimes.

Seems to me most everyone is in agreement that RCCL doesn't offer any insight to the cruisetour packages they offer. Yes perhaps it is poor planning on our part for not doing more research prior to booking but I have always trusted RCCL to be there for me and up until now they have been. We just want to see some of the interior of Alaska and the description on our tour seem to fit the bill. My questions are more about what to expect each morning, what kind of timeframe will we be working with. Will there be time allowed for breakfast or will we be rushed, we're not super early risers but can if we have to. Are there coffee makers and mini fridges in the rooms, are we limited to our luggage we can take, will we actually go into Denali National Park, what kind of time do we have in each location, how much time is spent on the train/ motor coach? We have already deviated from a portion of the cruisetour by booking the train from Girdwood to Seward rather than riding in the motor coach.

As far as tours planned we are more interested in sightseeing. We understand that the meals are separate which is no problem and I'm sure we are allowed to pack snacks for along the way.

I appreciate everyone's input so far but it is clear to me that a post cruisetour review in detail will be beneficial to others wishing to do these cruisetours. We are very thankful that we have the opportunity to do this and are looking forward to what ever is ahead of us in Alaska.. We have already completed 2 Alaska cruises so that portion is all mapped out, its simply the land portion that is a mystery to us. I guess mystery is good sometimes.

Please take a look at my very detailed cruise tour live report. It was a couple of years ago but timelines will be basically the same based on the train schedules. You will become early risers as luggage must be out most mornings by 6am. You will have lots of free time at the hotels. Most of the tours are on the way from town to the next and once you arrive you are basically in your own until the meeting time the following day.

I have photos of the schedules, tours offered, hotels, menu pricing, etc. the link is in my signature or you can check my blog posts for individual days, tours, etc by searching within the blog for Alaska.

For ease and convenience the cruise tour is wonderful. But if you are a OCD planner it's torture not being in charge. Time in Denali park is very limited. I am with Budget Queen on skipping either tour offered by RCI & doing the Eielson tour on your own.

You never posted a link to your itinerary. BUT the transit times are fixed so you can figure them out. By road, Anc/Denali is about 6 hours, by train 8 hours. Denali to Girdwood is another hour.

Talkeetna/Anc by road is at least 2 hours, by train 3.5 hours. Talkeetna/Denali 3.5 hours by road, 4.5 by rail.

RCI uses lodging in Denali 7 miles south of the park entrance. Nothing else there, shuttles are available, but probably every hour? So planning is necessary.

RCI does not refund the tours. BUT if you have the ability and initiative to go on your own, and have 2 nights at Denali, you can turn in your ticket for small fees and exchange them- possibility. It all depends on loads. I've been to Denali where there weren't any Eielson seats for days. So, I am NOT recommending considering this but it is a possibility.

IF a NHT is included usually the Eielson Shuttle bus is cheaper than the TWT upgrade. BUT again, it does require the ability to go on your own and make this arrangement, including the lodge transfer to get there.

Budget Queen is correct in that there is not much around the Denali Park Village (where RCCL put us up at.) However there was a trailhead across from the busy road, and the hiking back there was very nice. I think you can take the trail all the way to the Denali visitor center area.

We did use some independent shuttles while there and they were easy to use. One of the driver / owners was complaining that he wan't making enough money with his shuttle business so he may quit the business. So safe bet is to check with hotel desk about which shuttle services are available.

I wouldn't stress about putting luggage out. We never put luggage out but instead just carried our one case with us when we boarded the coach - I think we typically boarded at 8 or 9. If you want them to carry your luggage then you would need to have it out. We left luggage we didn't need for the night on the coach the whole time and only used one case since most stays are one night. Keep in mind it is a different environment than 3000 passengers on a ship. There is only 40 or 50 people on the coach and the hotels are not that large. So I thought the luggage issue was pretty casual.

I think there were fridges and coffee makers in all our rooms, but I am not 100% sure. I agree that the Alyeska lodge will be your nicest, followed by the Talkeetna lodge, and lastly the Denali Park Village.

Have fun !

• 3 weeks later...
Our tour was the 6 night and included all of these land tour cities.

Anchorage had no preplanned tours. We booked a Segway Tour on our own prior to arrival.

We would like to either upgrade to the TWT or go to Eielsen as well - how does that work in getting back with your group to go on to Talkeetna that afternoon? Or we are looking at possibly doing a fly-in drive-out tour of the park thru Kantishna Air...but again, wondering how that would work in getting back with the group?

Also, can you tell me what the time frame was getting into Talkeetna that afternoon after doing the Eielson tour? Would there be time for an evening flightseeing tour in Talkeetna?

We would like to either upgrade to the TWT or go to Eielsen as well - how does that work in getting back with your group to go on to Talkeetna that afternoon? Or we are looking at possibly doing a fly-in drive-out tour of the park thru Kantishna Air...but again, wondering how that would work in getting back with the group?

Also, can you tell me what the time frame was getting into Talkeetna that afternoon after doing the Eielson tour? Would there be time for an evening flightseeing tour in Talkeetna?

This is from my 2013 Blog Post, prices may have changed by now. Hopefully it will give you a little info on how to get out on your own. We arrived at 12:15 ended up on the 1:00 trip by luck (schedule for 2pm) then took a shuttle back to the hotel after 9pm. The next morning we did another tour on our own (white water rafting) then had the shuttle drop us at the train station where we met our group to board the train for Talkeetna. We pre-purchased reserved tickets online thru the National Park Service - Denali website about 6 weeks before our trip.

From the blog:

Our cruise tour included the National History Tour in the inclusive price. However, during all my planning research I learned that it is the least desirable tour as it only gets you a few miles into the park. There was an opportunity to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour thru RCI for $59 per person but you couldn't do that until you arrived in Alaska and were on the cruise tour... since I am OCD about planning I couldn't wait until I got there to take a chance on getting into the park.

We finally decided about 6 weeks prior to departure that we would ditch the NHT and book the Eielson Shuttle thru the National Park. The last departure of the day is at 2pm and arrives back at 10pm. Our train is scheduled to arrive in the park at 12:15. We will need to get to the Visitors Access Center to pick up our pre-paid tickets, stop at the Merino Grill to get a sandwich or box lunch & dinner for the shuttle.

Basic description of the different tours offered:

The NHT that came with our cruise tour is a 5 hour tour that goes 17 miles into Denali and includes a presentation prior to the tour. It is on a tour-type bus and includes a light snack & beverage. If booked on your own it is $77.50 per person which includes the $10 park entrance fee.

There is also a Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 53 miles in to the park and takes 7-8 hours. The tour buses for the NHT & TWT also feature drop down video screens where they feature any wildlife spotted. Cost for this tour is $125.50 per person including the $10 park entrance fee for those of you not doing a cruise tour. This is the one you can upgrade to on the cruise tour.

They will ask who wants to upgrade once you are on the train. Then they call the park and reserve you spots. Out of our 30 tour companions I'd say only 8-10 upgraded and we were the only ones who went off on our own to do the Eielson shuttle.

We chose to do the standard shuttle bus operated by the park. They are your standard school buses. We chose the shuttle to Eielson Visitors Center which is an 8 hour trip that goes 66 miles into the park with excellent wildlife viewing opportunities. There are no video monitors and you are recommended to bring binoculars. Luckily our grown kids purchased hubby a nice pair of binoculars for an early birthday/father's day gift. I have my 70-300 zoom lens on my camera to get right up close and personal, hopefully :) Also on a clear day, this tour offers outstanding views of Mt. McKinley.

Reservations are highly recommended as these tours do sell out. If you wait until you arrive it is possible that you will be turned away or have to take a tour that is not what you wanted. We booked online 6 weeks before leaving home. The train doesn't arrive until 12:15 coming from Fairbanks so I'd choose the 2pm trip to Eielson.

The shuttle buses do not offer the food/snack but there is The Merino Grill available to grab a box lunch to go. Also at the Wilderness Access Center there is Taiga Bean Coffee Shop that offers fair trade Starbucks Coffee, box lunches, and other grab and go snacks.

We arrived in the park at noon and were able to ride the RCI coach to the Merino Grill were we picked up food for lunch & the 8 hour drive. (We actually could have walked quicker) They had hot food and indoor & outdoor dining. We just grabbed food to go. We purchased 2 sandwiches ($9ea) 2 chips ($2ea), 2 candy bars ($2ea) some mini muffins ($2), a container of celery & carrots ($3) & a reusable bag ($1) and it totaled $29, we discovered later that she may have missed charging us for the veggies. We shared a sandwich and chips for lunch and had some of the veggies. The rest is for our dinner on the go. Once you leave the visitor's center there is no other food available in the park. Water is not available again until you arrive at the Eielson visitor's center.

After getting our provisions we headed to the park shuttle stop and took the Riley River shuttle to the Wilderness Access Center (WAC) where we picked up our pre purchased tickets. I asked for & received a $20 refund for the park admission which was charged on top of the shuttle ticket price since we were already paid thru RCI.

We went to the outdoor waiting area to have our lunch and right afterward the Eielson shuttle showed up. We asked if it was the 2 o'clock shuttle because it had just turned one o'clock. The guy said no, it's the one o'clock but if we were ready we could hop on as they had plenty of room. We lucked out, this will get us back at 9 now instead of 10 and we can catch the last shuttle back to the hotel.

Before we reached Eielson we had seen around 20 Caribou, a moose, 7 Dall sheep, the male & female state bird or Alaska, a sow bear and 2 cubs all before Toklat.

On the way back we saw first another bear right near the road having dinner. Then a golden eagle and finally two more bears up on the side of the hill. So a total of 6 bear in one day! Then about 15 minutes before we got back to the WAC we saw first a momma & baby moose in the edge of the river, and finally another moose out in the brush. Our driver said we were very lucky on all the wildlife that we got to see in one visit.

I believe our driver said Eielson just opened up yesterday. Unfortunately by the time we got there it was as thick as pea soup outside. You couldn't see anything... the clouds were just hanging around the mountains. It was very wet outside and so I didn't get any good pictures.

We stopped several times on the way up. There are bathroom facilities at 2 of the stops and at Eielson. Only Eielson has running water. There have hand liquid sanitizers on the walls in the restrooms. The bathrooms were all very clean and very well maintained.

We had a great day in Denali and feel fortunate to have gotten to take this trip. At the end of the day when we returned to the WAC it was closed as it was after 9pm. We had missed the final shuttle so I called the McKinley Village where we would be staying so that they could send the pre-arranged shuttle that I had called about.

(Originally posted on Cruise Critic, June 3, 2013)

You have 2 nights at Denali ? WHAT is your actual itinerary, (not just a place list, I need, to know each transit, and where you are each night. ) I can tell you options with this information.

I would call the lodge directly for their current shuttle times. I would not expect for them to come out with a phone call off hours.

You have 2 nights at Denali ? WHAT is your actual itinerary, (not just a place list, I need, to know each transit, and where you are each night. ) I can tell you options with this information.

I would call the lodge directly for their current shuttle times. I would not expect for them to come out with a phone call off hours.

We spend the first night in Anchorage and the next day arrive in Denali by Wilderness Express. Spend the night at Denali Park Village (UGH :p) Only ONE night in Denali - The next morning is Denali Park - we have been told thru Celebrity that we can upgrade to the TWT at that time, and that it shouldn't be an issue of selling out because they "own the space"?

After the tour we take a motorcoach to Talkeetna - I am wondering how this works with fellow "cruisetourists" who choose NOT to upgrade? How is it coordinated for us to get back together and leave for Talkeetna at the same time on the same motorcoach if doing separate tours? I am dearly hoping that the TWT is a very early AM departure - we would love to get to Talkeetna in time to take a 6:30 flightseeing tour! - I just can't seem to find anything that gives me a time frame of when we might actually be arriving in Talkeetna...

After 1 night in Talkeetna, we head to Alyeska! Very excited about this overnight!

From Alyeska we head to Anchorage for lunch then on to Seward where we board our ship!

I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't quite get what you mean by " I would not expect for them to come out with a phone call off hours."

This is from my 2013 Blog Post, prices may have changed by now. Hopefully it will give you a little info on how to get out on your own. We arrived at 12:15 ended up on the 1:00 trip by luck (schedule for 2pm) then took a shuttle back to the hotel after 9pm. The next morning we did another tour on our own (white water rafting) then had the shuttle drop us at the train station where we met our group to board the train for Talkeetna. We pre-purchased reserved tickets online thru the National Park Service - Denali website about 6 weeks before our trip.

Thank you so much! I think we're in a little different scenario- our Denali Park visit is all in one day - we spend one night in Denali and up the next day for our tour - and then on to Talkeetna that afternoon. I am just trying to understand how the trip is coordinated for those fellow "cruisetourists" who choose NOT to upgrade to the TWT...how we all make it back together and on the same motorcoach to Talkeetna after taking separate tours? Hoping the TWT departure is early AM with the possibility of making it to Talkeetna for a 6:30 flightseeing tour!

We spend the first night in Anchorage and the next day arrive in Denali by Wilderness Express. Spend the night at Denali Park Village (UGH :p) Only ONE night in Denali - The next morning is Denali Park - we have been told thru Celebrity that we can upgrade to the TWT at that time, and that it shouldn't be an issue of selling out because they "own the space"?

After the tour we take a motorcoach to Talkeetna - I am wondering how this works with fellow "cruisetourists" who choose NOT to upgrade? How is it coordinated for us to get back together and leave for Talkeetna at the same time on the same motorcoach if doing separate tours? I am dearly hoping that the TWT is a very early AM departure - we would love to get to Talkeetna in time to take a 6:30 flightseeing tour! - I just can't seem to find anything that gives me a time frame of when we might actually be arriving in Talkeetna...

After 1 night in Talkeetna, we head to Alyeska! Very excited about this overnight!

From Alyeska we head to Anchorage for lunch then on to Seward where we board our ship!

I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't quite get what you mean by " I would not expect for them to come out with a phone call off hours."

Being you are taking a bus to Talkeetna, I would NOT suggest you book the Eielson shuttle. Your bus is going to be leaving from the lodge and maybe the Wilderness Access Center, right after the last TWT returns. (You HAVE verified this is offered on your particular cruise tour???) The Eielson shuttle is not fixed on time. and if you have to return to the lodge, the bus going to Talkeetna is probably going to be gone. My point with the "call" mention, they aren't a cab service or on demand at the lodge. What it has been in the past. I suggest you call them direct and get the current information.

Unfortunately you only booked one night at Denali. IF the TWT is offered as an upgrade, I think that is your only option. It's a whole different story of the availability to to use the shuttle buses when you have 2 nights. And even then it is beyond the acceptance of the inconvenience for a lot people.

Allow 3 1/2 hours for the transfer to Talkeetna. Sometimes I have seen buses make some of 2 specific stops. Being the TWT don't get back until about 2p, I wouldn't book any 6:30p flight out of Talkeetna, doubtful you would make it without your own transportation. Your bus will be going to the Talkeetna Lodge not the airfield. See how the time goes, have your phone numbers of vendors and call when you are in transit and see what is available.

Just a general comment- make sure you are ok with missing Seward. It is a gem in my opinion, especially Kenai Fjords. You do have an option to include it, if you wish.

Being you are taking a bus to Talkeetna, I would NOT suggest you book the Eielson shuttle. Your bus is going to be leaving from the lodge and maybe the Wilderness Access Center, right after the last TWT returns. (You HAVE verified this is offered on your particular cruise tour???) The Eielson shuttle is not fixed on time. and if you have to return to the lodge, the bus going to Talkeetna is probably going to be gone. My point with the "call" mention, they aren't a cab service or on demand at the lodge. What it has been in the past. I suggest you call them direct and get the current information.

Unfortunately you only booked one night at Denali. IF the TWT is offered as an upgrade, I think that is your only option. It's a whole different story of the availability to to use the shuttle buses when you have 2 nights. And even then it is beyond the acceptance of the inconvenience for a lot people.

Allow 3 1/2 hours for the transfer to Talkeetna. Sometimes I have seen buses make some of 2 specific stops. Being the TWT don't get back until about 2p, I wouldn't book any 6:30p flight out of Talkeetna, doubtful you would make it without your own transportation. Your bus will be going to the Talkeetna Lodge not the airfield. See how the time goes, have your phone numbers of vendors and call when you are in transit and see what is available.

Just a general comment- make sure you are ok with missing Seward. It is a gem in my opinion, especially Kenai Fjords. You do have an option to include it, if you wish.

Thank you so very much for the helpful info! Yes I have verified that the TWT is offered with this cruisetour - it is in writing in their brochure and on their website and my TA verified it as well...I will definitely have the phone numbers of the vendors handy...maybe (hope its not just wishful thinking) if the evening flight doesn't work out we can work in a morning one before heading to Alyeska - but I am kind of under the impression the departures are pretty early...oh well, worst case scenario, maybe we can do a whitewater rafting in the evening if the flightseeing doesn't pan out! My goodness, we will be in ALASKA! It's gonna be a learning curve, but its also gonna be awesome!