Breakfast en route to Southampton

jdr2

Ok, bizarre question but hope you seasoned travellers can help. We are planning on setting out early to get to Southampton to join our ship as we have seen lots of posts about how busy the roads are, especially nearer Southampton, even on a Sunday.

If we plan to stop somewhere near the A3 or close to Southampton for breakfast can you suggest anywhere good?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tot Hill services, google it. It appears to be wrong side for southbound but there is an immediate bridge access. It is on A34 near Newbury prior to M3 if you use the big dual carriageway route M40/A34/M3 Facilities include Travelodge, Little Chef and Macdonalds plus fuel.

Last services on motorway network is Rownhams services very close to Southampton and they have Costa coffee and other facilities.

Regards John

Hi

If you go through Petersfield near the A3 there might be somewhere there. Sorry I can't give a specific recommendation but there are quite a few cafes

If anyone wants a breakfast (after 10 am), or just to visit somewhere different not too far from Southampton come over to Wickham. Lots of lovely independent shops, cafes, antiques and walks.

Cathy

A3 - Petersfield. Great Oak (Premier Inn) 1min off A3. B'fast 0630- 1030 daily. Red Lion (Weatherspoons) 5 mins off A3. B'fast 0800 till late morning. Google both for exact loc and menus. Circa I hour thereafter via A3 - accepting time of the day, day of the week, Dock Gate to be used and how many ships in changing pax may have some minor time penalty plus margin. Use both locs when going fishing (and wife not with me)!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stop at McDonald's on the road into the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like this. We stop at Cherwell Valley services on M40 on our way to Southampton, as it is exactly half way between our house and the docks, and always have a McD's Sausage and Egg McMuffin. We never visit McDonald's at any other time but this signifies the start of our holiday. Sadly, we do the same on the journey home.:D:D:D

a bit out of your way but there is a toby carvery at eastleigh which is quite handy for southampton.

Oh and if you stop at a Moto sevice station make sure you have the moto app installed on your phone as they do some reasonable offers (was at one last staturday lunch and got 2 regular burger king meals for £10).

One must be travelling a long way to partake of breakfast on the way to Southampton, given the short travel times in merry olde England. Considering one does need to be at the dock before 12 noon.:rolleyes:Or dare I say it? Later at the given boarding time.

Aaah, I can savour the wafting aroma of the bacon from Little Chef, a fine array of healthy food lies therein.:p Sampled it a couple of times, but Little Chef's are fading away, are they not?:loudcry:

The 'Full English', I can hardly wait, lubbly jubbly and plenty more of that on board too. Done the Premier Inn brekky, very nice too.

The reason I go to McDonalds by the ship is that there is a lot of pay and display parking, it's really close to the terminals and there a few super stores if you are early. I quite often go here after checking out, last time there were lots of Cunard passengers very dressed up for boarding eating sausage mcmuffins, oh how I smiled [emoji38]

One must be travelling a long way to partake of breakfast on the way to Southampton, given the short travel times in merry olde England. Considering one does need to be at the dock before 12 noon.:rolleyes:Or dare I say it? Later at the given boarding time.

Aaah, I can savour the wafting aroma of the bacon from Little Chef, a fine array of healthy food lies therein.:p Sampled it a couple of times, but Little Chef's are fading away, are they not?:loudcry:

The 'Full English', I can hardly wait, lubbly jubbly and plenty more of that on board too. Done the Premier Inn brekky, very nice too.

Hi NSWP, we have heard about traffic on M25 and M3 and gridlock in Southampton so we want to be cautious and arrive early. Our boarding time is 1.30pm so plan on getting to ship about 12? We don't mind waiting around, will have our kindles [emoji4]

The reason I go to McDonalds by the ship is that there is a lot of pay and display parking, it's really close to the terminals and there a few super stores if you are early. I quite often go here after checking out, last time there were lots of Cunard passengers very dressed up for boarding eating sausage mcmuffins, oh how I smiled [emoji38]

Sounds good to me Florry [emoji4]

If we plan to stop somewhere near the A3 or close to Southampton for breakfast can you suggest anywhere good?

If you don't mind going a little bit off route, and parking up, can I recommend Romsey?

There are several nice little cafe's (I quite like Dish - it has a deli attached to it although can be a bit on the pricey side (but good), or alternatively Ashante which is a little more down to earth but certainly no Maccy D's). If you've got time, it would give you a chance to stretch your legs after driving down (there's a nice memorial park and Abbey to go look at, and stock up on any necessities you might suddenly have realised you've forgotten!!

Hi NSWP, we have heard about traffic on M25 and M3 and gridlock in Southampton so we want to be cautious and arrive early. Our boarding time is 1.30pm so plan on getting to ship about 12? We don't mind waiting around, will have our kindles [emoji4]

Fair enough, I have driven on those roads and will do so again next year. Last time I was in UK, Sept - Oct 2015 to do some land travel plus Aurora/Oriana, there were a lot of roadworks and lane closures on the M3 down to Southampton which caused delays, hope it is finished by next May when we venture forth again. You have some very congested motorways.

Enjoy your brekkie and your cruise !!;p