Dining time allocation

Jayneykul

Apparently we have to wait until we are onboard to receive our dining allocation. If we can't get on the second sitting can we pay to dine anytime? We don't want to eat as early as 6pm so if we are allocated that sitting we will end up at the buffet unless we have an alternative. Help please?

irrespective of what allocation you are given you may book the fee payable "upgrade" dining every night if you want and space is available. Whilst you are hoping for a second sitting outcome which will suit you also remember that if you get allocated Freedom Dining you can book for later dining each night as well. This will work out cheaper and upgrading some nights; or all nights is possible too.

Regards John

Apparently we have to wait until we are onboard to receive our dining allocation. If we can't get on the second sitting can we pay to dine anytime? We don't want to eat as early as 6pm so if we are allocated that sitting we will end up at the buffet unless we have an alternative. Help please?

At the moment second sitting is the least popular and would appear to be the last to fill up. First sitting seems to be very popular so if you ended up in first you would find it very easy to swap. Just go to the main dining room on the first day if you have a allocation you do not want. You should get second sitting fairly easily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a recent cruise on Aurora we selected 2nd sitting and were surprised to see the dining room only half full each evening. Speaking to the restaurant manager one evening it would seem that 2nd sitting is no longer popular and that most are either opting for freedom dining or 1st sitting.

Plus of course the other options of buffet, Sindhu, glasshouse and beach house also take a number out of the equation. Sindhu being only a small restaurant on Aurora but was generally fully booked each evening.

While not knocking freedom dining or 1st sitting because we have enjoyed both in the past when circumstances were different and it suited us but long may it continue this way, as being only half full the service on our sitting was very efficient and the waiting staff most attentive.

We have just been on Britannia and had been allocated Freedom Dining. My OH went to the restaurant on the first afternoon and had no problem in changing to second sitting in the Meridian restaurant. There were plenty of empty seats at lots of tables including ours.

At the moment second sitting is the least popular and would appear to be the last to fill up. First sitting seems to be very popular so if you ended up in first you would find it very easy to swap. Just go to the main dining room on the first day if you have a allocation you do not want. You should get second sitting fairly easily.

I would say very sound advice.

If possible it is always best to book early and select as you have priority and can choose the dining you want.

On a recent cruise on Aurora we selected 2nd sitting and were surprised to see the dining room only half full each evening. Speaking to the restaurant manager one evening it would seem that 2nd sitting is no longer popular and that most are either opting for freedom dining or 1st sitting.

Plus of course the other options of buffet, Sindhu, glasshouse and beach house also take a number out of the equation. Sindhu being only a small restaurant on Aurora but was generally fully booked each evening.

While not knocking freedom dining or 1st sitting because we have enjoyed both in the past when circumstances were different and it suited us but long may it continue this way, as being only half full the service on our sitting was very efficient and the waiting staff most attentive.

That's very interesting and I can see how it works that way. I do think preferences change from cruise to cruise though - for example on shorter cruises attracting a younger demographic I think the opposite it's true, with first sitting being least popular. We have recently converted to freedom and we do like it, but tend just to use it on formal nights due to the amount of choice.

Even if you get allocated first sitting it does have its advantages in that dinner is over early, you get to see the first show and get decent seats in your bar of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums