Check bags at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and then leave terminal?

abefroman329

My wife and I are booked on the QM2 transatlantic cruise leaving NYC 9/7 and I'm wondering if it's possible to check our bags at the terminal, leave the terminal for a few hours, and then board closer to the final boarding time?

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are booked on the QM2 transatlantic cruise leaving NYC 9/7 and I'm wondering if it's possible to check our bags at the terminal, leave the terminal for a few hours, and then board closer to the final boarding time?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can drop off your checked bags, even do your check in paperwork, and then leave the terminal area [with your carry on bags] - but there is not too much convenient to the terminal.

What were you thinking of doing in the area?

Will you be driving, walking or attempting public transport?

There is a deadline for all passengers to be on board - and if you miss the deadline, you get to watch the ship sail away. :-/

We don't have recent experience with the Red Hook terminal - but we usually plan on arriving noonish, and each have a book or kindle in our carry ons. The waiting area is not uncomfortable, and the wait is usually shorted than expected.

Yes you can drop off your checked bags, even do your check in paperwork, and then leave the terminal area [with your carry on bags] - but there is not too much convenient to the terminal.

What were you thinking of doing in the area?

Will you be driving, walking or attempting public transport?

There is a deadline for all passengers to be on board - and if you miss the deadline, you get to watch the ship sail away. :-/

We don't have recent experience with the Red Hook terminal - but we usually plan on arriving noonish, and each have a book or kindle in our carry ons. The waiting area is not uncomfortable, and the wait is usually shorted than expected.

Well, if our flight to LGA that morning arrives on time at 9, AND our bags actually make it onto the flight, AND there isn't a massive line for taxis at LGA, AND there's no traffic on the BQE, we'd like to go into Manhattan and go to Ellis Island.

I realize there's a greater chance of dodo bird and passenger pigeon being on the menu for dinner that night, but was wondering if it was a complete nonstarter due to us needing to stay at the terminal after checking in.

Well, if our flight to LGA that morning arrives on time at 9, AND our bags actually make it onto the flight, AND there isn't a massive line for taxis at LGA, AND there's no traffic on the BQE, we'd like to go into Manhattan and go to Ellis Island.

I realize there's a greater chance of dodo bird and passenger pigeon being on the menu for dinner that night, but was wondering if it was a complete nonstarter due to us needing to stay at the terminal after checking in.

Not due to need to stay in the terminal, but the logistics of getting to the museum from Red Hook.

The Park Service vendor for access to Ellis Island is Statue Cruises - they have advance ticket sales & schedule information on their web site.

You need to plan on four legs: Red Hook to Battery Park, Ferry to Liberty & Ellis Island, Ferry from Ellis Island to Battery Park, Battery Park to Red Hook.

Starting with an 11 AM bag drop, you might be able to get back to the ship by 4 - but only if you are not planning on a worthwhile visit on Ellis Island. [Add the delay to check / retrieve your carry on bags before visiting the museum, and the preferred 30 minutes in Battery park before the ferry departure ]

Not due to need to stay in the terminal, but the logistics of getting to the museum from Red Hook.

The Park Service vendor for access to Ellis Island is Statue Cruises - they have advance ticket sales & schedule information on their web site.

You need to plan on four legs: Red Hook to Battery Park, Ferry to Liberty & Ellis Island, Ferry from Ellis Island to Battery Park, Battery Park to Red Hook.

Starting with an 11 AM bag drop, you might be able to get back to the ship by 4 - but only if you are not planning on a worthwhile visit on Ellis Island. [Add the delay to check / retrieve your carry on bags before visiting the museum, and the preferred 30 minutes in Battery park before the ferry departure ]

Ah, I didn't know bag drop doesn't open until 11 - I was thinking you could drop them when we arrive (~10 am if everything goes perfectly).

Thanks! We will find something else to do that is less time-consuming.

You're arriving on a Thursday morning and expect to get from currently a disaster that is LGA, after waiting on luggage, to Red Hook and still have time to go into Manhattan and get back in time for muster?

If I were you I'd stick with praying your flight arrives in time you don't miss the sailing. Flying into NYC the morning of a TA is a huge gamble by itself.

Here's an idea: Plan to do something cool in Brooklyn instead. Have lunch in Brooklyn Heights and stroll the Esplanade and snap incomparable photos of lower Manhattan. Have lunch in Park Slope and go to the excellent Brooklyn Museum or the arboretum in Prospect Park. Have lunch in downtown Brooklyn and go to the quirky Transit Museum to learn the history of public transit in NYC. This would eliminate the stress of getting to and from Manhattan and still not miss the boat!

Personally I reckon your Ellis Island visit on the timings offered are way too ambitious.

Getting from Red Hook to Battery Park is relatively easy if you follow my New York routine...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

...skipping the High Line Walk and continuing on the subway Battery Park.

Yes, you can pre-purchase the 'ferry' tickets online but there is the risk of loosing the payment through unexpected delay at any point.

Factor in that the 'ferry' route, or it was when I last took it, goes to the Statue of Liberty first and your time on Ellis Island is beginning to shrink to a point where you have to question 'is it worth it'.

Shame really as it is a great visit...

31934015981_63407ed6af_z.jpg

35562719325_5d621f2398_z.jpg

You're arriving on a Thursday morning and expect to get from currently a disaster that is LGA, after waiting on luggage, to Red Hook and still have time to go into Manhattan and get back in time for muster?

If I were you I'd stick with praying your flight arrives in time you don't miss the sailing. Flying into NYC the morning of a TA is a huge gamble by itself.

Marriage is about choosing battles, and "we need to fly into NYC the day before the cruise" is not a battle I'm going to win. We are insured out the yin-yang and Cunard is letting us fly in the morning of the cruise; if we miss it, it'll be a teachable moment for all.

Personally I reckon your Ellis Island visit on the timings offered are way too ambitious.

Getting from Red Hook to Battery Park is relatively easy if you follow my New York routine...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

...skipping the High Line Walk and continuing on the subway Battery Park.

Yes, you can pre-purchase the 'ferry' tickets online but there is the risk of loosing the payment through unexpected delay at any point.

Factor in that the 'ferry' route, or it was when I last took it, goes to the Statue of Liberty first and your time on Ellis Island is beginning to shrink to a point where you have to question 'is it worth it'.

Shame really as it is a great visit...

31934015981_63407ed6af_z.jpg

35562719325_5d621f2398_z.jpg

I'm not sure if this is reflected in your blog, it's firewalled at my place of employment, but by September there will be a ferry service that travels along the East River on the Brooklyn side (including a stop at Red Hook) and then crosses the river to Wall Street.

I think the likeliest scenario if we have a massive chunk of time to kill that morning would be a round-trip ride on that ferry, although given the fact that our day will start at 3 am in Chicago, I doubt we'll have the energy.

Thanks for the suggestions, all; very helpful.

I'm not sure if this is reflected in your blog, it's firewalled at my place of employment, but by September there will be a ferry service that travels along the East River on the Brooklyn side (including a stop at Red Hook) and then crosses the river to Wall Street.

The ferry service in fact began operating on June 1. I took a ride over to Red Hook from Manhattan (Pier 11 on the East River, on South Street near the foot of Wall Street) a couple of weeks ago, just as a dry run (to see how easy or not it would be to do this on a future embarkation/ disembarkation)--and to see the QM2, which happened to be docked at Red Hook that day. The Red Hook ferry slip is located just 500 feet from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. With the fare a $2.75, this is now by far the cheapest and IMO most pleasant way to travel between Manhattan and the Red Hook terminal.

The video clips in this playlist give a glimpse of the experience:

The ferry service in fact began operating on June 1. I took a ride over to Red Hook from Manhattan (Pier 11 on the East River, on South Street near the foot of Wall Street) a couple of weeks ago, just as a dry run (to see how easy or not it would be to do this on a future embarkation/ disembarkation)--and to see the QM2, which happened to be docked at Red Hook that day. The Red Hook ferry slip is located just 500 feet from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. With the fare a $2.75, this is now by far the cheapest and IMO most pleasant way to travel between Manhattan and the Red Hook terminal.

The video clips in this playlist give a glimpse of the experience:

Ah, thanks - the way the ferry website is worded, it sounded like the service was going to start sometime between now and September.

• 4 weeks later...
Ah, thanks - the way the ferry website is worded, it sounded like the service was going to start sometime between now and September.

Yes. I searched out this thread remembering it. The Battery Park departure point for the Statue of Liberty is a nice walk (my guess is about a half mile) from the Red Hook Ferry terminal at pier 11. With prepurchased Statue of Liberty tickets, it could be quite doable.

Red Hook Ferry - https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Statue cruises - https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

I think we've given up on attempting this, but thanks. Our day will start at 3 am, I doubt we'll have that much energy by the time we arrive in NYC

abefroman, you and your wife come across as such lovely people. You've done so much planning and preparing...I sincerely hope you both have wonderful time.

Just to mention...on our first Cunard cruise, Hubby and I had so much planned...and then after a good night's sleep on board, we just melted, relaxed and forgot about our schedule.

After 13 QM2 voyages, there is still much we haven't done, but truth be told, we've always had a good rest, met interesting people and enjoyed each others company. I wish the same for you and Ms.abefroman. Cheers, - Salacia

abefroman, you and your wife come across as such lovely people. You've done so much planning and preparing...I sincerely hope you both have wonderful time.

Just to mention...on our first Cunard cruise, Hubby and I had so much planned...and then after a good night's sleep on board, we just melted, relaxed and forgot about our schedule.

After 13 QM2 voyages, there is still much we haven't done, but truth be told, we've always had a good rest, met interesting people and enjoyed each others company. I wish the same for you and Ms.abefroman. Cheers, - Salacia

Thanks for the kind words, Salacia. The meticulous planning I've done ends once we get on the ship, and the meticulous planning is to ensure that we CAN spend the trip doing very little. On Sunday, I'll be finished with my MBA, and am very much looking forward to being leisurely for a week!

Thanks for the kind words, Salacia. The meticulous planning I've done ends once we get on the ship, and the meticulous planning is to ensure that we CAN spend the trip doing very little. On Sunday, I'll be finished with my MBA, and am very much looking forward to being leisurely for a week!

Congrats on the MBA.