Somewhat Bemused on QV

TheArchitect

We leave QV in Rome on Saturday, with a late flight back to the UK via Amsterdam, and have been keeping an eye out for the transfer arrangements (included in our package).

We'd also emailed Cunard who'd replied confirming it would either be a late departure from the ship or some sort of lounge / hotel facility at the airport.

I was there bemused when last night we got a standard flyer offering any departing passangers a whirlwind bus tour of Rome and a transfer to the airport for "just" 95 Dollars.

I say bemused because the cost of the normal whole day excursion is 10 Dollars less!

Now some people perhaps don't have an inclusive transfer, but given that the autostrada passes the airport anyway I find it hard to see why it would cost more than the normal excursion!

Cunard tours and transfers are all done by third party operators, so what we pay is what they charge plus Cunard's markup. The tour operators have certain fixed expenses: tour bus, driver, guide. It's going to cost them a certain amount of money whether the tour is a half day or a full day.

As with any Cunard arrangement it's up to you to decide if the added cost is worth the convenience or not. You've decided the cost isn't worth it. And nobody has a gun to their head to buy it.

You asked Cunard, and they said ....

I did indeed, with a jaunty smile and no hint of complaint, and got a blank look which the less charitable might interpret as well rehearsed!

To be honest I'm glad I queried last day arrangements / inclusive transfer with them in advance. I wonder how many might not have realised and will make the (expensive) booking for their tour and transfer.

On another note, weather conditions not looking good for Cannes on Thursday. Does anyone know anything about La Seyne Sur Mer?

Edited by TheArchitect
Spelling!