April or September?

MNcruisingcouple

We are looking at two cruises; similar length, price and ports. Just wondering which month is best?

Or, since I realize "best" is subjective, what are the pros and cons of each of those months?

Also there is a similar sailing in late May, a little more expensive. Would that e a better option?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are looking at two cruises; similar length, price and ports. Just wondering which month is best?

Or, since I realize "best" is subjective, what are the pros and cons of each of those months?

Also there is a similar sailing in late May, a little more expensive. Would that e a better option?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed this year in late May and the weather we had was outstanding!!! Not sure what it has been other years, but we lucked out!

I've never taken an April cruise yet, but have done early May. You may find there are less things open as the season doesn't really get going until May, but with more cruises sliding forward into April as long as you're not planning land trips to Denali etc. it might still be OK. I'd definitely take late May of your three options (sunnier, drier, much longer evenings than Sep, and pretty much everything should be up & running while not being so busy as summer holiday months).

We went in late May this year--May 21-28. Not only was the weather excellent, but there were few children on board (if that matters to you).

We chose late May for the following reasons: 1) Good chance for clear weather since May is one of the driest months, 2) early in the season so locals aren't "worn out" by tourists, 3) few children on board since many schools are still in session and 4) lower fares.

The only downside to traveling in late May was that the salmon were not running and it was too early for bears. But we saw plenty of bald eagles and some whales (from the ship--not on an excursion).

I like to sail Alaska in the early season as you can see more the land and the marks left by acts of nature (avalanches and land slides) and those made by man (old mine tailings, etc.); however my wife likes to sail in later summer when the foliage is completely out. If you sail too early or too late in the season, many tourist traps are closed!

We have done several of both and this year we are doing mid-August again.

We have sailed Alaska in each of the months of the cruising season.

One time we arrived in April two weeks before any other ship was sailing Alaska.

Loved it.

The pros were seeing more snow and it even snowing in one port, having less tourists in town, being welcome by the people who run the local shops (the large jewelry shops you see in the Caribbean and Alaska didn't open for us which was fine) and seeing Alaska in a month that far few people do.

Ironically, my best ever views of Glacier Bay took place in April but that is not a guarantee it will happen if you sail then. With that in mind here are a few photos.

Keith

DSC_4203.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4218.jpg

DSC_4198.jpg