What kinds of cabins do you normally book?

Siora7777

For DH 60 anniversary, I wanted something special... a Caribbean cruise :)

Looking back, I hadn't the foggiest idea about cabins, ships or anything, I just saw an Israeli travel expert saying that "it's a waste of money to book a balcony on a cruise".

So, I didn't want to be "cheap", and since the difference between an inside and OV was only 50$, I booked an OV, #7500 on Jewel, right on the front:D

I mentioned on "special occasion" the special b'day and the 1st ever cruise. And, surprise, at check in we got upgraded to an obstructed balcony.

Nice, even though our luggage got stuck in front of 7500 all day long....

WE LIKED the balcony, and booked almost all our cruises on them, with 2 exceptions -- the Galapagos, where I went alone, a small boat with 90 pax -- there r no balconies and an OV was 10K, and our upcoming cruise to Hawaii, which is a gift, and an OV goes for 5K ...

BUT, usually we r doing only one cruise a year.

I travel solo, so don't need vast amounts of space. I switch between inside and balcony, mostly depending on price. I'm fine with either, and enjoy the odd coffee on the balcony, but feel I rarely make full use of it. When I'm in an inside, I just take the coffee to the promenade deck or somewhere.

I've never bothered with an ov. To me it's neither this nor that. You don't get the outside space or the nice darkness. But other people love them. I'm sure if the price was right is probably give it a go, but they're not worth more to me than an inside.

Usually inside unless a balcony is not much more. For us it is just not worth the extra money. I love the darkness of an inside in the AM :)

This is right! I sleep much better in the insides. In balcony room I wake up with sunrise.

So I've been on five cruises so far and I'm planning my sixth one unfortunately at the end of the year (too far away). I've been in four balconies and just last year my first inside cabin, which turned out to be just fine. Not as good as a balcony, I did miss it but was so happy just to be on a cruise.

I read these boards constantly and I read a lot of about the suite life and so forth...Some of you guys have a lot of cruises listed. Sometimes it seems like everyone is booking suites.

Right now I'm booked in a balcony cabin but am seriously thinking about downgrading to an oceanview just to try it. The price difference is only $280 between the two, that could pay for the gratuities and at least I'll be on the ship.

But it got me thinking, for those of you who cruise a lot what kind of cabins do you normally book? Suites or balconies everytime? Some of you cruise b2b or b2b2b, cruising is great value but it adds up.

Just curious. No flames please, I'm just asking people who don't mind sharing.

I think it all depends on how you use the ship.

We have quite a bit of history with RC but we only book interior staterooms. Why do we only book interior? We are never in the room except to change and sleep. And I find sleeping in an interior (dark and quiet) to be utterly wonderful.

My parents, on the other hand, love hanging out in their rooms, and they need a balcony at the least.

You know what they say, once you go balcony you can never go back. Will continue to do so unless there's a whopper of a deal that I can't refuse.

They are wrong. We sail in both.

Are we exception? :)

A cruise is still a cruise right? I've done inside cabin once, oceanview twice. So, only half my cruises have been on balconies. (The first half..) :p

Absolutely.

We have 20 cruises in insides, 5 balconies, 2 ov. All very enjoyable.

Absolutely.

We have 20 cruises in insides, 5 balconies, 2 ov. All very enjoyable.

No doubt! I'm far more likely to not book a balcony on Caribbean cruises than scenic intensive cruise like Alaska. No point spending all that extra money when you don't have to!

They are wrong. We sail in both.

Are we exception? :)

If you're an exception I am too. I have no issue not having a balcony after having sailed with them. They are nice but NOT necessities. (I'm also the exception on Disney where people swear that once you sail Concierge you can never cruise regular. ZERO issues cruising regular. I know I'm weird, but I hate people fussing over me. When my dad booked us concierge, one of the hosts was so happy I went to the lounge for a can of Diet Coke he personally walked a 12-pack to my cabin. OVERKILL.)

I did an inside cabin on our Jan 15 western Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette, and just completed a Jan 16 eastern Caribbean cruise on the Reflection with a balcony. We are now booked on a Jan 17 cruise to the southern Caribbean in an Ocean View cabin on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas.

I would do an inside cabin again in a heart beat. In fact, I asked my TA to check into switching to an inside cabin on the Serenade if they could be close to the others in our group. Unfortunately, the Inside Cabins directly across from our OV's we're in are already reserved.

There would have been a $235 net savings going to an inside cabin. Being retired and on a fixed income now, that's a fair amount of savings. But we are staying put. I still want to be around our fellow travelers. There were 4 insides available, 2 in the bow, and 2 at the stern.

I found I used the balcony very little on my last cruise. I would not object to another balcony in the future, but I don't need one to be happy on a cruise. I was in my cabin to 1) sleep, 2) shower, 3) change clothes. Don't need a balcony for that.

Also, I have a 24' long Travel Trailer. We put up to 10K miles on that trailer each year. In 2014 we put 7900+ miles on a cross country trip that took us from Virginia to Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Los Angeles, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Indianna, Michican, Ohio, WV and back home. We do all of our home football games, and many of the road games, with some of the same group we cruise with.

Maybe that's why the size of an inside cabin works for us. :D

I did an inside cabin on our Jan 15 western Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette, and just completed a Jan 16 eastern Caribbean cruise on the Reflection with a balcony. We are now booked on a Jan 17 cruise to the southern Caribbean in an Ocean View cabin on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas.

I would do an inside cabin again in a heart beat. In fact, I asked my TA to check into switching to an inside cabin on the Serenade if they could be close to the others in our group. Unfortunately, the Inside Cabins directly across from our OV's we're in are already reserved.

There would have been a $235 net savings going to an inside cabin. Being retired and on a fixed income now, that's a fair amount of savings. But we are staying put. I still want to be around our fellow travelers. There were 4 insides available, 2 in the bow, and 2 at the stern.

I found I used the balcony very little on my last cruise. I would not object to another balcony in the future, but I don't need one to be happy on a cruise. I was in my cabin to 1) sleep, 2) shower, 3) change clothes. Don't need a balcony for that.

Also, I have a 24' long Travel Trailer. We put up to 10K miles on that trailer each year. In 2014 we put 7900+ miles on a cross country trip that took us from Virginia to Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Los Angeles, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Indianna, Michican, Ohio, WV and back home. We do all of our home football games, and many of the road games, with some of the same group we cruise with.

Maybe that's why the size of an inside cabin works for us. :D

Just found this while searching for Hurricane and Anthem of seas.

For families it can be a good way to travel by having a veranda cabin and an inside cabin directly across the hall. On the Millennium class ships there is one inside cabin on the stern deck 7,8,9. We had a stern veranda and friends with that inside directly across. Very little traffic in the hall so our friends could visit easy and we had breakfast together on the veranda. Obviously this has to be planned long time ahead to get one of the inside cabins. I haven't check in a number of years if this configuration is still present since the Soltization of the Celebrity ships.

In 4 cruises, I have done 2 interiors, 1 balcony, 1 Royal Suite. Booked now for a balcony and one Oceanview. I usually travel alone, my first interior was shared and worked out. Then I did the Royal Suite, queen for a week. But for a solo cruiser way too big. Then I tried X on a TA said never again. It was quite roomy, but I caught a cold virus and two days in my cabin with no sun, not for me. Then I did a balcony on another carrier, smaller than my Inside cabin but not claustrophobic.

This year I have booked two cruises, they were chosen by time frame and itinerary. I book what I can afford to pay. This year will be my first try of an Oceanview on X , and another Balcony on NCL. But preference wise, I guess a balcony or even a Jr suite if I travel by myself.

So my advice is book the best you can afford to pay.

Happy cruising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a family of five, and normally get a balcony with an inside across the hall. The inside is really just for sleeping and we all hang out in the balcony cabin during the day. I would really like to try one of those panoramic ocean view cabins but my husband is sensitive to stuffiness and smells and says he "has to" have a balcony. So ok. :rolleyes:

So I've been on five cruises so far and I'm planning my sixth one unfortunately at the end of the year (too far away). I've been in four balconies and just last year my first inside cabin, which turned out to be just fine. Not as good as a balcony, I did miss it but was so happy just to be on a cruise.

I read these boards constantly and I read a lot of about the suite life and so forth...Some of you guys have a lot of cruises listed. Sometimes it seems like everyone is booking suites.

Right now I'm booked in a balcony cabin but am seriously thinking about downgrading to an oceanview just to try it. The price difference is only $280 between the two, that could pay for the gratuities and at least I'll be on the ship.

But it got me thinking, for those of you who cruise a lot what kind of cabins do you normally book? Suites or balconies everytime? Some of you cruise b2b or b2b2b, cruising is great value but it adds up.

Just curious. No flames please, I'm just asking people who don't mind sharing.