When a royal suite isn't that royal (Oasis)

Hi,

I am posting this primarily as a fyi for future people searching about the new royal suites on Oasis. I had posted a few weeks ago looking for information on the new 17th floor royal suites on Oasis. The problem arises in that when you click on deck plan you see the new plan for 17 which has the two royal suites-#1701 and #1758 along with the generic description of the "old" royal suite i.e., 1284 sq feet with 345 balcony. I had originally questioned this because the deck plans just didn't seem "right" to me that both of these could fit (or be close) to this description.

Well now I have found out if you click on "printable deck plans" a new pdf comes up with specific descriptions of both of these new royal suites. It indicates #1701 is 1250 sq feet with a 172 sq foot balcony and 1758 is "only" 972 square feet with a 163 sq ft balcony. Now I know a 972 square ft room is still huge--my point is they are advertising both as royal suites and using the old description of a room with a huge 345 sq foot balcony-which neither has. Further if you get #1758 you are presumably paying the same price as the people who get #1701 and you have 25% less room. Lastly, the balcony's are half the size of the the old royal suite at 163-172 square feet.

So again, more of an fyi for people doing research and hopefully the deck plans description page is updated soon to reflect this drastic difference in rooms.

Those suites were still under construction when we were on the Oasis in November, but I thought the balcony we saw looked tiny and lacked privacy. This is 1758:

IMG_8312W-L.jpg

Edited by Cindy

I get the point, but I can't see them introducing a separate category for 1 room.

When I was on Explorer last week at the loyalty desk a woman was complaining about one of their rooms (small group), that it was smaller than the others and the space difference wasn't evident on the deck plan. I didn't catch the room number, but I know that there are rooms with differences that aren't evident from the deck plan (which is why I always research cabin numbers).

Between this and the new aft balconies on 13/14 it seems like the deck plan will need a lot of asterisks/footnotes.

Same cabin category & price as others MUCH larger.............

It appears only one is significantly smaller but the balconies on both are half the size. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty po'd if I was expecting a 325 sq ft balcony & got half that. I might not notice 50 sq ft less but I'd be even less happy with 300 sq ft less cabin space than expected..................

All 3 priced the same? That just wouldn't work for me & I generally just go with the flow. This would have me jumping up & down.

I get the point, but I can't see them introducing a separate category for 1 room.

They have the Aquatheater suites broke down to A1, A2, A3 and each has their sizing listed in the description. I'm guessing that these and the new Grand suites will get this same breakdown eventually.

For me as a consumer, my biggest issue with this is twofold (1) the fact that you have to dig deep to get to the accurate descriptions- they put the wrong generic description of the old 12th floor royal suite when you call up the 17th deck plan. Unless you click in to "printable version" nothing on that page would lead you to believe these room are not as described. To RCCL's credit, the printable version has the different, correct specs for both suites listed.

Just as problematic for me is the fact that two rooms, differing by nearly 300 square feet (the size of almost two inside cabins) or 25% of total size are listed as same category. I think that is materially different and should be noted and priced accordingly.

For me as a consumer, my biggest issue with this is twofold (1) the fact that you have to dig deep to get to the accurate descriptions- they put the wrong generic description of the old 12th floor royal suite when you call up the 17th deck plan. Unless you click in to "printable version" nothing on that page would lead you to believe these room are not as described. To RCCL's credit, the printable version has the different, correct specs for both suites listed.

Just as problematic for me is the fact that two rooms, differing by nearly 300 square feet (the size of almost two inside cabins) or 25% of total size are listed as same category. I think that is materially different and should be noted and priced accordingly.

Unless I misunderstood, you are NOT complaining that you got shafted - you did research and are merely sharing that info with the rest of us. Even though I'll probably never sail in a Royal Suite, thank you for sharing.

Thom

The SLS on Oasis as well as Allure are two different suites in layout and size. They are charged the same base price. You just need to know which one is best. Having been in both, our pick is 1720 over 1718.

The 2 new RS as well as the SLS are cabins built for their specific location, with size stipulations prior to construction. Your reserch has proven which is better value for the dollar. We would pic 1701 over 1758, first for size and secondly as it is closer to the Suite Lounge by about 50 steps. :D

Thanks for doing this investigating. :)

The SLS on Oasis as well as Allure are two different suites in layout and size. They are charged the same base price. You just need to know which one is best. Having been in both, our pick is 1720 over 1718.

The 2 new RS as well as the SLS are cabins built for their specific location, with size stipulations prior to construction. Your reserch has proven which is better value for the dollar. We would pic 1701 over 1758, first for size and secondly as it is closer to the Suite Lounge by about 50 steps. :D

Thanks for doing this investigating. :)

We ended up reserving a Sky loft suite as well as it was about $5,000 cheaper than the "mini" royal #1758, and has almost twice the balcony size (which is important to us as we like to enjoy a lot of down time outside)-with not that much less indoor space-albeit I am sure the two floor thing might not suit everyone.

I had two follow-up question for you- what makes 1720 better than 1718 for you and do you know how different the two are in terms of size--unlike the royals I researched or the aquatheaters, all references are to both 1718 and 1720 so I am assuming size is not significantly different?

We ended up reserving a Sky loft suite as well as it was about $5,000 cheaper than the "mini" royal #1758, and has almost twice the balcony size (which is important to us as we like to enjoy a lot of down time outside)-with not that much less indoor space-albeit I am sure the two floor thing might not suit everyone.

I had two follow-up question for you- what makes 1720 better than 1718 for you and do you know how different the two are in terms of size--unlike the royals I researched or the aquatheaters, all references are to both 1718 and 1720 so I am assuming size is not significantly different?

No worries. I have a pictures of both cabins and I will post them today with some explanations. Either SLS IMO is a smarter move over the RS, especially once you factor in the savings when living the suite life.

1758 used to be the chapel, which was smaller than 1701. 1701 pre-drydock was the Pinnacle lounge.

As promised here are a few pictures of 1718. These picture are from Oasis. This cabin does adjoin with SLS 1720. We have never heard any noise from the adjoining cabin door.

Balcony area. At the far end behind the glass divider is 1720's balcony.

IMG_1037_zps9b74daa6.jpg

Main level.

The main level washroom is behind the dining room table, where the artwork is hung. If my memory serves me correct the downstairs washroom has a single head and rain head. Toilet and sink as too.:) The door to cabin 1720 is on the right. The TV is to the left and is just out of the picture.

IMG_1031_zpsb8a03e26.jpg

View towards the sitting area, from the dining table location.

IMG_1033_zps869a334e.jpg

Bed area.

The upstairs washroom is behind the wall to the right of the bed. The upstairs washroom has two shower heads as well as a rain head. The safe is upstairs.

IMG_1021_zpse95b744e.jpg

View from the bed.

IMG_1019_zps76de73df.jpg

Cabin 1718 has the quiet ocean view balcony. It is long and narrow. The interior of the cabin is a bit darker in the day time as it doesn't have as many windows allowing as much light in. All of these pictures for both cabins were taken on sunny days, so as you can see the one cabin is brighter than the other. Since 1718 is a bit shorter in length you don't get as much of the "airy loft" feel compared to 1720, but honestly unless you had seen both you would have no idea that there was a difference. If you enjoy a quiet time on your balcony this is the cabin for you.

As promised here are a few pictures. As it turns out the best pictures I have of suite 1720 were from our cruise on Allure. However, the cabin is the exact same layout. The art work might be a bit different, but I have never noticed. I have only given you a few pictures as you still need some surprises.

This cabin does adjoin with SLS 1718. We have never heard any noise from the adjoining cabin door. On a side note we have also stayed in 1718 one time but 1720 our favorite.

Balcony

IMG_2919_zps4fdf948d.jpg

Main level.

The main level washroom is to the right of the dining room table, which is behind the artwork on the wall. The TV you see is actually a reflection in the mirror.

IMG_2910_zps8268899c.jpg

View towards the sitting area, from the dining table location.

IMG_2912_zpse57f83c6.jpg

Upstairs washroom. Both washrooms have two shower heads as well as a rain head. Lisa my DW would usually shower upstairs and I would do the same down stairs. That way we didn't trip on one another while we were done the shower.

IMG_2931_zps1007a751.jpg

Bed area.

IMG_2928_zpsba164176.jpg

View from the bed.

IMG_2930_zps52aee987.jpg

You will enjoy this room as well as deck 17. The cabin stewards on deck 17 from our experiences, are the best of the best. If you enjoy people watching this is the cabin to be in. With all the activity on deck 15 there is always something to see. You do get a bit of noise from the Aqua Theater at night with the door shut. However it has never stopped my wife from sleeping and she is a light sleeper.

I am assuming size is not significantly different?

To be honest for the actual size I don't think there is much difference. We prefer 1720 for the people watching and honestly love that balcony. If you love quiet then 1718 is the balcony to have.

The differences between these two SLS cabins are minor and not as sizeable to what you discovered for the two new RS on deck 17.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

To be honest for the actual size I don't think there is much difference. We prefer 1720 for the people watching and honestly love that balcony. If you love quiet then 1718 is the balcony to have.

The differences between these two SLS cabins are minor and not as sizeable to what you discovered for the two new RS on deck 17.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Very Helpful, Thanks for all of the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently booked for my family of 4 in an Aquatheater Suite (A2) on an upcoming cruise on Oasis of the Seas. I've been watching the prices and I could upgrade to one of the new Royal Suites for a relatively small amount. Reading some of the concerns in this thread I'm not sure if it's really an upgrade or not. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this. Pictures of the new Royal Suite seem very hard to come by. Thanks in advance!