Majesty of the Seas Am I Crazy?

I just booked Majesty of the Seas for May 23, 2016 because I could NOT pass up the price! $278 pp for 4 nights with $100 OBC. Now I'm reading that may be the first cruise after the refurbishment. Am I crazy to go on this cruise? How bad could it be? I'm thinking my biggest worry may be they are delayed in construction and it gets cancelled :(

I just booked Majesty of the Seas for May 23, 2016 because I could NOT pass up the price! $278 pp for 4 nights with $100 OBC. Now I'm reading that may be the first cruise after the refurbishment. Am I crazy to go on this cruise? How bad could it be? I'm thinking my biggest worry may be they are delayed in construction and it gets cancelled :(

May 16th 2016 is the first cruise out of PC.

We were on the Enchantment first cruise out of drydock. At that time the Enchantment sailed out of Balt.

The renovations were not completed...we got messages that boarding would be delayed until 5pm. Many were enroute and did not get the email so they had box lunches at the pier for those of us that arrived for the normal boarding time. Those that arrived earlier than us were given complimentary shuttles to Balt Harbor to spend the day there instead of at the terminal.

We boarded and were all given glasses of champagne and welcomed on board with great celebration. We later learned that the carpeting in the Atrium was still being installed at 2pm that day and even the Hotel Director was moving furniture and helping to install the carpet. The CD told everyone how he was in charge of the dumpsters on the upper decks during the drydock. They filled several very large dumpsters everyday with removed materials as well as other trash. There were times when the crew had no water/electric. So, there were lots of bottled water for them to use.

The delay in boarding was a minor inconvenience.

On the Enchantment, the bathrooms were updated, new furniture, the Atrium was changed. The leveled the floor instead of the formal multi tiered area. (This was an attempt to make it more like the promenade of the newer ships.) New staterooms were installed near the elevators. There was still work to be done and many construction workers were onboard for the cruise. They ate their meals in the Windjammer.

A few things stand out about being on that ship right after drydock. As noted, the ship cruised out of Balt and apparently Port Canaveral was the location for stocking supplies. The first two days of the cruise, there were no fresh eggs. They were loaded when we got to PC. There were no soap dishes in the bathrooms...they were loaded when we got to PC. I have allergies to dust and mold...as the days went by I noticed that I was definitely having problems. Even the Capt became ill on that cruise. The dust was in the ductwork and going throughout the ship in spite of the fact that cabin attendants cleaned up dust everyday during drydock.

How well that first cruise goes after drydock depends on what work is being done to the ship. We came onboard after major overhaul of the staterooms. Our attendant said the dust was plentiful everyday no matter how much he cleaned the rooms.

All this being said...we had a great time. Given the price, I would book the Majesty...I would just be better prepared in the event there was dust/fumes in the air.

Edited by JMG

We were on the Enchantment first cruise out of drydock. At that time the Enchantment sailed out of Balt.

The renovations were not completed...we got messages that boarding would be delayed until 5pm. Many were enroute and did not get the email so they had box lunches at the pier for those of us that arrived for the normal boarding time. Those that arrived earlier than us were given complimentary shuttles to Balt Harbor to spend the day there instead of at the terminal.

We boarded and were all given glasses of champagne and welcomed on board with great celebration. We later learned that the carpeting in the Atrium was still being installed at 2pm that day and even the Hotel Director was moving furniture and helping to install the carpet. The CD told everyone how he was in charge of the dumpsters on the upper decks during the drydock. They filled several very large dumpsters everyday with removed materials as well as other trash. There were times when the crew had no water/electric. So, there were lots of bottled water for them to use.

The delay in boarding was a minor inconvenience.

On the Enchantment, the bathrooms were updated, new furniture, the Atrium was changed. The leveled the floor instead of the formal multi tiered area. (This was an attempt to make it more like the promenade of the newer ships.) New staterooms were installed near the elevators. There was still work to be done and many construction workers were onboard for the cruise. They ate their meals in the Windjammer.

A few things stand out about being on that ship right after drydock. As noted, the ship cruised out of Balt and apparently Port Canaveral was the location for stocking supplies. The first two days of the cruise, there were no fresh eggs. They were loaded when we got to PC. There were no soap dishes in the bathrooms...they were loaded when we got to PC. I have allergies to dust and mold...as the days went by I noticed that I was definitely having problems. Even the Capt became ill on that cruise. The dust was in the ductwork and going throughout the ship in spite of the fact that cabin attendants cleaned up dust everyday during drydock.

How well that first cruise goes after drydock depends on what work is being done to the ship. We came onboard after major overhaul of the staterooms. Our attendant said the dust was plentiful everyday no matter how much he cleaned the rooms.

All this being said...we had a great time. Given the price, I would book the Majesty...I would just be better prepared in the event there was dust/fumes in the air.

Thank you for the great information! I'm not sure how extensive the renovations will be but I booked it so I guess we will see. LOL

Sallie was HMC and I was EMCM.

In practice though, she is Adm and I am SN.

OP: Sorry to get off topic. You should be fine. Monarch was our first cruise and we cruised the Majesty once. The only thing we miss on that class is the Solarium.

I understand your concerns. I've done Majesty 4 days and had a great time both times. Is this still out of Miami, or is it out of Port Canaveral? I would have a good time being away from work either way, sounds like a great time.

Edited by BillOh

I understand your concerns. I've done Majesty 4 days and had a great time both times. Is this still out of Miami, or is it out of Port Canaveral? I would have a good time being away from work either way, sounds like a great time.

PC. First cruise out of PC is May 16, 2016.

PC. First cruise out of PC is May 16, 2016.

Good to know, I like having Key West instead of another sea day, so this might motivate me to try Enchantment sometime we want a quick get away as I've never done a vision class.

Good to know, I like having Key West instead of another sea day, so this might motivate me to try Enchantment sometime we want a quick get away as I've never done a vision class.

Her Majesty will be sailing from Port Canaveral after her refurb and Enchantment will be sailing from Miami at that time.

It will be from Port Canaveral.

I also saw they scaled back allot on what they were going to do. No more water slide, Izumi, Sabor of Chefs Table so it may not be as big as issue.

I'm excited!

Where did you read that they have scaled back what they were going to do? Share a link to it please.

Where did you read that they have scaled back what they were going to do? Share a link to it please.

There is a thread on here about it but the Royal website also didn't have it listed either :( I am on my phone but when I'm on my laptop I can share the link.

Since you are going after the refurb you should be fine. I would not suggest the Majesty to anyone prior to that. We were on the Majesty in both October and November and none of the problems have been fixed. Hot tubs still closed down, and one pool was shut down on the November cruise as well. The public restrooms especially near the pool area are gross. The stateroom was actually in decent shape. We love the Majesty but these last couple of times were not so good.

It will be from Port Canaveral.

I also saw they scaled back allot on what they were going to do. No more water slide, Izumi, Sabor of Chefs Table so it may not be as big as issue.

I'm excited!

I love this class of ship and was looking for a late May sailing to try after the refurb (won't sail any ship right out of Dry dock, don't care what line) but wanted to go before summer prices hit. Was looking forward to the new amenities. If they aren't going to be there what is the ship going into dry dock for at all? IIRC it hasn't been that long since the ship had a routine dry docking for periodic maintenance.

The website has this

"Meet the newly reimagined Majesty of the Seas, a getaway for the workhard- play-hard set who love to share every minute - with free, unlimited access to VOOM, the fastest internet at sea. Waterslide fanatics and fresh guacamole gourmands. Poolside sun-soakers and weekend highrollers. This is where you tap into your inner adventurer."