Adventure of the Seas--a bit of a rant

snowdayz

We are loyal, rabid Royal Caribbean-ers. We love cruising and have been on the Oasis, Allure, Independence, Adventure (3x), Freedom etc. No Anthem yet, but maybe next year.

Maybe.

Why a maybe? Because we convinced our extended family to join us on a cruise after raving about how amazing they were. We chose the Adventure because we have been on there twice before and we knew it to be a good ship.

Bleagh. Mistake.

From peeling paint, to lackluster entertainment--it was not up the standards we have come to expect. No ice show. Smelly cabin. Entertainment was subpar. What would have served as tertiary entertainment on the same cruise years ago, the comedy show, was the headliner.

I understand it's no longer the new shiny thing, but is it too much to expect it to remain at the same level we left it?

What prompted me to write this was a headline I saw on another thread about cutting the face painter/balloon guy from the Oasis. Timely as I just saw some old pictures including my daughter and her friends with octopuses painted over their faces like a mask.

Royal Caribbean: If you are reading this--IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS.

Because you chose to cut corners on the Adventure, I do not think we will ever be able to persuade the rest of our extended clan of over 20 to cruise with us again. No matter how much we rave about the Oasis or Allure.

Then again, we might be more careful to rave in the future knowing the minute you move on to your next class of ships, you begin to cannibalize the older ones. Why not instead see them as entry level trips for people who ultimately may become cruisers? Our family was "meh" on cruising and I can understand why when there are so many other options for vacations!

Rant over and feeling better--especially since, you know, first world problems to be complaining about peeling paint and face painters, right?

It's still vacation. :-)

Edited by snowdayz

I've sailed Adventure before, back when it was new. I'll always treasure that cruise. It's unfortunate to read about experiences such as yours, especially on ships I've been on. Personally, I think it's a ploy by RC to get cruisers to book on new ships. While it is true that as Americans we want the newest and best while disregarding the old (not just things..), I believe RC is leaving money on the table by not taking care of the old charms. Hey, RC - make it difficult for me to choose which ship to sail - otherwise it'll make it easy for me who I won't sail with! I love RC but I also love my vacations.

So sorry that you had a disappointing cruise.

We sailed on Adventure in November and had a fabulous cruise. I really don't remember seeing paint peeling but, I think if you look real hard on most ships, you can find it. The ice show was as good as we have seen on Royal. I will agree that the entertainment was sub par compared to other cruises on Royal.

I sailed Adventure on the Jan 16, 2016 sailing and I'm afraid the OP has a point. I had previously sailed her once when she was brand new, and then again two years later. I can't really comment on the entertainment, since I prefer other evening activities (though I will say I heard less than enthusiastic feedback from other members of our group.)

My immediate impression on boarding was that she's become dated and a bit tired (just like me!) I don't know what refurbishments have been done, but some new paint and carpeting should definitely be on order. My cabin was still very comfortable and the surroundings were still "nice," but I wouldn't use any more enthusastic adjectives.

Our dining room experience wasn't ideal, but we were a very large table so that might have explained some of the staff's struggles. The food was ok, not great, but I assumed that was probably due to cost-cutting in the 6 years since I've cruised. Not a big deal, and not a surprise to me. What was a surprise was how much I liked the food in the Windjammer. It was really quite good for both breakfast & lunch.

In general, the staff seemed to just do their jobs with no particular enthusiasm. I thought that was due to the change from cash to automatic tips, which has also happened during my cruising hiatus. However, in reading reviews of other ships since I got home, it seems that isn't always the case. I did speak with one of "our" staff members who was nearing the end of his contract. I asked him if he wanted to come back to Adventure on the next one or do one of the newer ships. He replied that he preferred the older ships because "you really don't have to clean as much. On the new ships it is always cleaning or you are in trouble."

All that said, we'll be sailing her again next year after the next refurbishment. Like an old vacation cottage, she's familiar & convenient. Our group likes her, while recognizing her flaws , and I like the group.

I've sailed Adventure before, back when it was new. I'll always treasure that cruise. It's unfortunate to read about experiences such as yours, especially on ships I've been on. Personally, I think it's a ploy by RC to get cruisers to book on new ships. While it is true that as Americans we want the newest and best while disregarding the old (not just things..), I believe RC is leaving money on the table by not taking care of the old charms. Hey, RC - make it difficult for me to choose which ship to sail - otherwise it'll make it easy for me who I won't sail with! I love RC but I also love my vacations.

Adventure is scheduled for dry dock this year.

No ice shows at all? Was a reason given for this?

Any ship more than a year or two old is going to have peeling paint. You may have to look for it ,but it will be there.

The ice show was available on the 1/16/2016 sailing.

No effort was required to see the peeling paint. She needs a refresh and is scheduled to get it in October, I believe. Perhaps it should have happened sooner, but scheduling such things must be quite a challenge. We'll be eager to see the updates!

I believe RC is leaving money on the table by not taking care of the old charms. Hey, RC - make it difficult for me to choose which ship to sail - otherwise it'll make it easy for me who I won't sail with! I love RC but I also love my vacations.

That's what prompted me to write..... We are a "sure thing"--we love cruising. However, the group we persuaded to join us were all first timers and they could not figure out what the fuss was about. So now look, I knew it was not going to be the Oasis etc but I did not expect a LESSER experience than my other two trips on the Adventure. We PICKED the boat because we thought we knew it.

You know what else really bothered me? The bed was not comfortable. Now you are all cruisers--when have you ever complained about sleeping on a cruise? It's my absolute favorite sleep ever, usually. On the Adventure, the mattress was HARD. Whatever soft thing they usually put on top of the bed was gone. SO laying there, with my back complaining staring at the peeling door frame--that's when I began to imagine writing this post. :-(

Edited by snowdayz

My wife and I were on the Adventure last March. I thought she still looked pretty good. Never really looked for or saw peeling paint etc.... She had been "refreshed" a few months before that. Mainly some cosmetic things to the pool deck, touch screen view finders by the elevators, and the poolside tv screen. She's scheduled for a full "refurbishment" this winter season. They will add a flow rider and more cabin work, restaurants etc... Hopefully they will spruce her up to be the beautiful ship she once was.

Again, I've been on her twice and thought she was in great shape both times.

I also don't think it's a ploy to make people sail on their new ships. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build these ships and to maintain the older ones. They have a set schedule for dry dock. It's difficult to close off areas to paint or varnish. Drydock is pretty much where it's done for the majority of it.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

This is why you should NEVER "talk up" a vacation to 1st timers! Had you not told them how wonderful it was, they probably would have been MORE than satisfied!

I swear, the more you rave about something, the less fun newcomers will have....it's the truth!

We are loyal, rabid Royal Caribbean-ers. We love cruising and have been on the Oasis, Allure, Independence, Adventure (3x), Freedom etc. No Anthem yet, but maybe next year.

Maybe.

Why a maybe? Because we convinced our extended family to join us on a cruise after raving about how amazing they were. We chose the Adventure because we have been on there twice before and we knew it to be a good ship.

Bleagh. Mistake.

From peeling paint, to lackluster entertainment--it was not up the standards we have come to expect. No ice show. Smelly cabin. Entertainment was subpar. What would have served as tertiary entertainment on the same cruise years ago, the comedy show, was the headliner.

I understand it's no longer the new shiny thing, but is it too much to expect it to remain at the same level we left it?

What prompted me to write this was a headline I saw on another thread about cutting the face painter/balloon guy from the Oasis. Timely as I just saw some old pictures including my daughter and her friends with octopuses painted over their faces like a mask.

Because you chose to cut corners on the Adventure, I do not think we will ever be able to persuade the rest of our extended clan of over 20 to cruise with us again. No matter how much we rave about the Oasis or Allure.

Then again, we might be more careful to rave in the future knowing the minute you move on to your next class of ships, you begin to cannibalize the older ones. Why not instead see them as entry level trips for people who ultimately may become cruisers? Our family was "meh" on cruising and I can understand why when there are so many other options for vacations!

Rant over and feeling better--especially since, you know, first world problems to be complaining about peeling paint and face painters, right?

We were on the AOS in mid Nov..she was old & needed a paint make over badly, but we had a good time...she is going into dry dock next Oct for 35 days & will be a new ship when she comes out...what do you mean no ice show? We had a great ice show, with in fact, one of the best ( if not THEE best) couple from Russia we ever saw...OK, entertainment was just OK, but we thought the service was terrific & ports of call also terrific..we are Diamond & can't do St. Thomas, Nassau, etc., anymore or Falmouth, Cozumel...we chose the AOS for the itinerary, and we were not disappointed ..I think the dry dock will do wonders for her IMO...

Big Al

Maybe.

Bleagh. Mistake.

Please explain the "no ice show" comment.

Please explain the "no ice show" comment.

Yes, this is a critical point. Much of the other stuff is subjective, but not whether there is an ice show onboard.

There is also a big difference from there being no ice show onboard to the ice show being cancelled because of rough seas.

Indeed, please clarify.

I went to the adventure once and never again. I really like the port of call but in no way I will take that ship again to experience those ports. The crew was sorts of upset and without energy. In the dinning room my waiter told me one night that I couldn't have 2 steaks that's I had to wait for everybody to order and if there was any left I could other another one. I was shocked but I was in vacation I didn't want a scene.

During the week we were in the pool and more than twice I heard that the locals fill the ship and they make the cruise experience more harder for the employees. Is it true? I don't know, but that's what I heard more than once.

Yes, this is a critical point. Much of the other stuff is subjective, but not whether there is an ice show onboard.

There is also a big difference from there being no ice show onboard to the ice show being cancelled because of rough seas.

Indeed, please clarify.

Yes please - inquiring minds want to know.

I realize the OP is new to CC and this post was labeled in part as a rant so their return may be questionable. But I hope they return to explain the "no ice show" comment.

I went to the adventure once and never again. I really like the port of call but in no way I will take that ship again to experience those ports. The crew was sorts of upset and without energy. In the dinning room my waiter told me one night that I couldn't have 2 steaks that's I had to wait for everybody to order and if there was any left I could other another one. I was shocked but I was in vacation I didn't want a scene.

During the week we were in the pool and more than twice I heard that the locals fill the ship and they make the cruise experience more harder for the employees. Is it true? I don't know, but that's what I heard more than once.

Again, we had the complete opposite with our dining staff on the AOS..they went out of their way every night to please us..and yes, there are a lot of people from Puerto Rico, but that's normal, but we didn't find them annoying or any other negative behavior...

My wife and I were on the Adventure last March. I thought she still looked pretty good. Never really looked for or saw peeling paint etc.... She had been "refreshed" a few months before that. Mainly some cosmetic things to the pool deck, touch screen view finders by the elevators, and the poolside tv screen. She's scheduled for a full "refurbishment" this winter season. They will add a flow rider and more cabin work, restaurants etc... Hopefully they will spruce her up to be the beautiful ship she once was.

Again, I've been on her twice and thought she was in great shape both times.

I also don't think it's a ploy to make people sail on their new ships. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build these ships and to maintain the older ones. They have a set schedule for dry dock. It's difficult to close off areas to paint or varnish. Drydock is pretty much where it's done for the majority of it.

Tom

I disagree because if that was the case they would sail a crappy itinerary. It is the best of the Carib. fleet.

It is almost going home time here from work, but we are getting ready to do the AOTS for the first time in April. Yes I know you have your opinions, and everyone else has theirs too.

I would be "disappointed," if there was NO ice show, as that is to be one of their "drawing cards."

Yes i do agree, when they bring a NEW ship on, they are going to want people to do this new ship, extra money in their pocket, and let down on the older ships.