May take a late booking on Spirit but what's she like?

We are an hour or so away from booking a holiday and have been considering the Ancient Wonders itinerary on Spirit in mid June.

I've had a quick look for recent threads but only one jumps out, about the vibration on certain ships including Spirit. Our first cruise was with Thomsons a couple of years back where we had to be moved for fear of being rattled to death on ????? can't think of the name but they sold her on.

So really looking for some quickfire - hopefully positive -reviews, comparisons with eg., Majesty who we sailed on last year.

PS: Any thoughts on the itinerary would be good as well. Athens etc.,

Thomson Spirit is many peoples favourite of all the Thomson ships. This may be because she was the one which did the UK sailings and also because of the brilliant cruise director Richard Gray who was on her for many seasons. We have been on her many times, and also on Celebration which is the same size and design.

There is a bit of a gentle vibration in some public areas of both ships (from the generator I believe) which you soon get used to, but I have never noticed it in the cabins.

Like on any ship, you can experience engine noise on the lower decks towards the stern, so bear this in mind when selecting the location of your cabin.

Apart from that, we have always had a great time on the Spirit and would go on her again without hesitation. Not been on Majesty yet so can't compare for you.

Edited by Malch_uk

We love the Spirit.

You can feel vibration when sitting in the theatre but other than that I have never been concerned about vibration in the cabin or elsewhere on the ship.

It's a lovely ship- you won't be disappointed,

We have done all the others- Majesty, Dream, Spirit, Celebration (and the old Destiny and Emerald).

Edited by Flopsy

Been on the spirit 6 times over the past 5 years, was on in april the crew are the best, but not all got back on this year, unfortunatley this year there is no richard grey either which definately made a difference to the ship, the entertainment was not the usual high standard and lots of passengers saying the atmosphere was not the same at all, heard people saying can't wait to go home, a couple even flew home at the first port we enjoyed the ports, we heard quite a few complaints about the food but we mostly ate in the buffet and found it fine, and have booked for next year before we went on this year

Richard is on the majesty for the summer season so imagine the entertainment on there will be very good, but we don't like the ship at all, hoping they put him back on the spirit next year

We have just booked a last minute deal with Thomson onboard the spirit - which would be our first Thomson cruise. I have read many reviews, and think we we will be fine - I just have one concern - I have seen the L shaped rooms, and read that a couple got single beds in this L shaped configuration. I asked our travel agent about this ( after we booked ) and she said she would request a double / queen bed in special requests - but couldn't confirm we would get this!!

This would be a nightmare of a holiday for me; I am long past sleeping in a single bed. Can anyone help allay my fears?

I would advise that you get your travel agent to pre book you a cabin which will cost you £42 as most people who want a double

will have done this to secure a double.

As you say it's a last minute booking ,chances are they could be fully booked by now ...but you may drop lucky .

Sending you a deck plan and the key to the plan for doubles is a Square next to the number (eg cabin 702 on B deck) deck2.

On the plan of the ship hit B deck and then hopefully choose a double:)

Good luck with your cabin and enjoy your cruise :)

DECK PLAN

PS Was typing this out same time as you Linda .. Great minds think alike :D:D

Edited by kalos

best to book there was a young couple on their honeymoon on the week we went in april their ta said they had requested a double and didn't need to prebook but they got L shaped beds when they got to their cabin luckily the ship sorted it but it cost them an extra £100

I think that is disgusting that Thomson should have charged this young couple an extra £100. Their travel agent should have informed them about pre-booking a cabin to ensure that they got a double bed instead of giving them misinformation.

Our travel agent is very helpful. On a few occasions she has put a note on our booking to inform Thomson that we have a special birthday or anniversary, saying we may get a little something from them as we have also been loyal customers for several years and been on over 20 cruises. She did say though that it was not guaranteed that we would be acknowledged. We were a bit disappointed that we did not get any recognition, but we all know by now that you get nothing for nothing with Thomson.

You would think that Thomson would have been a bit more understanding towards this young couple and given them an upgrade as a gesture of goodwill.

Well after nearly 28 years of marriage I think we are a bit to old ( never mind too big !! ) for single beds lol. Out TA didn't tell me anything about these L shaped beds - which I cannot imagine or really understand to be honest, and although I don't want them I would like to see them.

I phoned today but Thomson say I have no control over changing this booking via phone as I booked through a TA. So far my experience of Thomson has not been positive, am hoping I havnt made a big mistake booking with them. Time will tell.

If you book through a TA they have to book your cabin for you. I would check Kalos's deck plan yourself, don't leave it to your TA then tell her/him which cabin(s) are acceptable to you. I usually give mine a list of cabins and they call to find out which ones are available and book it for me.

As Kalos says, select your preferred cabin and bed formation for the deck you will be on from the deck plan, then INSTRUCT your TA to ring up and book it. It is their job to do this as you have given them your business.

Hi Nancy Neptune we must have been very lucky as we have been recognized on our last six cruises as returning guests the last one we had a bottle of champagne, the real stuff, the one prior to that we had preseco .and a complementary excursion ☺

Thanks everyone - must admit havnt used a local TA in some years due to a previous bad experience - me thinks it will be a while before I use them again!!!

I would expect such a thing to be clearly explained on booking!!, it was by chance that I read something here about the beds ..... And I was very surprised. I would have thought an L shape would have taken up more space. Am used to two single bed configuration that they make into double. The other thing is that on previous cruises I have had control once it was booked, couldn't believe that everything has to be worked through the TA now .... My shifts don't make it easy for me to get to the TA, but I will phone tomorrow.

Well after nearly 28 years of marriage I think we are a bit to old ( never mind too big !! ) for single beds lol. Out TA didn't tell me anything about these L shaped beds - which I cannot imagine or really understand to be honest, and although I don't want them I would like to see them.

I phoned today but Thomson say I have no control over changing this booking via phone as I booked through a TA. So far my experience of Thomson has not been positive, am hoping I havnt made a big mistake booking with them. Time will tell.

Funny that...we've been married 29 years and insist on single beds.:mad: Given my alleged snoring (i've never heard it:D) the missus would probably prefer single cabins!:rolleyes:

Hi Nancy Neptune we must have been very lucky as we have been recognized on our last six cruises as returning guests the last one we had a bottle of champagne, the real stuff, the one prior to that we had preseco .and a complementary excursion ☺

Well done Pensioncruiser. Hope you enjoyed your champers. :)